• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham v Everton

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that this is crazy, unless we have a creator playing tucked in on the right (like Eriksen used to) but we don't have one of those at the moment. We look very one track when we play all of the fast players. I would start Bergwijn but it would be in place of Moura.

GLC..New DCM

Berg Dele Son

Kane

Or

Winks..New DCM

GLC/Berg..Dele/GLC..Son

Kane

Seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on here on whether GLC should be a CM or a 10/AM.

GLC..New DCM

Berg Dele Son

Kane

Or

Winks..New DCM

GLC/Berg..Dele/GLC..Son

Kane

Seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on here on whether GLC should be a CM or a 10/AM.

Or in a midfield three. All good options to have, we just need the base to do it from.

Looks like Mourinho is building the base well. Even before Covid I thought we were beginning to look better defensively, and since Dier has moved to CB I think we are really seeing some results- the Sheffield Utd game was a bad day at the office though. Add Tangana to the defence whether that be RB or CB and we could really begin to look solid. So the next issue is the CM, I don’t put the lack of creativity on Mourinho - we really do have personnel problems. Agree with Stef, if NDombele isn’t putting in the graft to show he should play then get rid and recruit a couple of players that will work well in that CM. I don’t believe things are that bleak, we look more solid and with some of our attacking options it will only take a couple of the RIGHT type of players recruited to make a massive difference to this team going forward.....

Pretty much my thoughts as well, we do need a DM but Dier has made us a lot tighter in the back four, not checked but i thought i heard during the game that we have had only 6 cleans sheets all season and 4 of them have come under Jose. He has made a difference ( and i accept there is still a lot of work to do) but after all the problems we have had this last 12 months or so there may be some light for us.

I also think it is clear that Kane isn't putting it all in. Numerous occasions we get it wide in a good position and he isn't keeping himself up with play. He is either still injured or not trying.

One of Harry's best skills is how he can just lurk around the box and before you know it has found a yard. In this current system, where he often has to make up the yards from deeper positions and has little to no smart movement or supply around him, that ability has been taken from him.

One of Harry's best skills is how he can just lurk around the box and before you know it has found a yard. In this current system, where he often has to make up the yards from deeper positions and has little to no smart movement or supply around him, that ability has been taken from him.
On a few occasions I saw Kane start level with our player who received the ball before that player had started his run to receive the ball, only for Kane to not keep pace with them, that isn’t good at all for a number 9.

On a few occasions I saw Kane start level with our player who received the ball before that player had started his run to receive the ball, only for Kane to not keep pace with them, that isn’t good at all for a number 9.

Where on the pitch? Halfway line? 10 yards inside the opposite half? Was he central with two CBs easily marking him out of the game because of lack of runners around him? I have never looked for Harry to necessarily keep pace with anyone, it is surely about either springing him with a great pass or moving to allow him to pick up the smart spaces in an attack? I think also that human nature kicks in, and at a certain point, when the service I as poor as it often is, you lose your will?

Where on the pitch? Halfway line? 10 yards inside the opposite half? Was he central with two CBs easily marking him out of the game because of lack of runners around him? I have never looked for Harry to necessarily keep pace with anyone, it is surely about either springing him with a great pass or moving to allow him to pick up the smart spaces in an attack? I think also that human nature kicks in, and at a certain point, when the service I as poor as it often is, you lose your will?
In the final third.

I think he is too easy to mark right now, especially when we start with Moura and don't have Dele. There is literally no movement around him. Statues too often.
I agree. That’s why we need a CF to play with him and do the grunt work.

Seemed like we had the Mourinho game plan going pretty well. Don’t think there was an uninterrupted passage of play longer than 30 seconds for all of the second half.

I agree. That’s why we need a CF to play with him and do the grunt work.

I'd rather have intelligent, incisive movement in that front three behind and around him so as he can spend more time in and around the box scoring goals and picking up scraps. Trust me, I too saw Edward in him early doors as his passing from deep positions is frankly superb, but he is a world class goal scorer and we need to get him close to the net whilst giving others more people to think about.

I'd rather have intelligent, incisive movement in that front three behind and around him so as he can spend more time in and around the box scoring goals and picking up scraps. Trust me, I too saw Edward in him early doors as his passing from deep positions is frankly superb, but he is a world class goal scorer and we need to get him close to the net whilst giving others more people to think about.

That's exactly why a big CF winning more headers and causing havoc to the centre halves would free H up to do what he does best. He is currently doing neither job particularly well. I don't think his youthful zest and energy is likely to return. Therefore his line leading skill is much diminished. He now needs to concentrate exclusively on goalscoring. There were two big opportunities for a poacher in the Everton game and I don't think he was even in the box for either.

That's exactly why a big CF winning more headers and causing havoc to the centre halves would free H up to do what he does best. He is currently doing neither job particularly well. I don't think his youthful zest and energy is likely to return. Therefore his line leading skill is much diminished. He now needs to concentrate exclusively on goalscoring. There were two big opportunities for a poacher in the Everton game and I don't think he was even in the box for either.

I am confused.
A short while back you said you'd like to see him in a Sheringham role with a big CF, suggesting you appreciate (rightly) his ability pass and create. Then you say here that you want him to exclusively focus on goal-scoring and be in and around the box more, something I agree with because I said this above.
So what do you want from him? #10 Teddy? Striker staying in and around the box? Striker in the box as part of a duo, with the other player being a big CF (Harry is not small so presumably you're looking at a Llorente-proportioned CF?).
By the way, you're not seriously suggesting that Harry himself isn't thinking about goalscoring are you? I think it is clear that he is in a poor set-up right now with regards to creative runners and movement.

I've always thought the fan thing was over rated, but I've never played in front of more than a couple of thousand, but I feel the lack of fans is draining the energy or purpose from the players, not just us but in a lot of teams. It seem the crowd do effect the performance, we seem lacking in aggression going forward but on the plus side we dont appear to be picking up on the nervousness the crowd exhibit is many situations. Nice to see a bit of passion from Lloris, team spirit is good but sometimes you need to kick arse.
Picking on Son was cowardly. We saw an unrecognisable Aurier against Everton but he is usually by far the worst offender so how come Lloris has never chased after him?

Picking on Son was cowardly. We saw an unrecognisable Aurier against Everton but he is usually by far the worst offender so how come Lloris has never chased after him?

I dont think it was cowardly, most keepers blame everyone for anything and defenders stick together and put any failure down to forwards missing chances or picking up players, if half time had not been blown immediately after the incident it may not have happened on the pitch and we didnt see Sons' reaction when Lloris was shouting to him.

I am confused.
A short while back you said you'd like to see him in a Sheringham role with a big CF, suggesting you appreciate (rightly) his ability pass and create. Then you say here that you want him to exclusively focus on goal-scoring and be in and around the box more, something I agree with because I said this above.
So what do you want from him? #10 Teddy? Striker staying in and around the box? Striker in the box as part of a duo, with the other player being a big CF (Harry is not small so presumably you're looking at a Llorente-proportioned CF?).
By the way, you're not seriously suggesting that Harry himself isn't thinking about goalscoring are you? I think it is clear that he is in a poor set-up right now with regards to creative runners and movement.

I don't know why you are confused. Edward played the no 10 role and still scored plenty of goals. So did Dele in prime Poch. Playing the no.10 role dies not preclude you getting in the box. Au contraire , with the two centre halves occupied by our new bullying centreforward, there should be ample room and space for H to get into areas where he can do maximum damage without being encumbered by such close attention from the opposition bruising centre halves.

Not at all and i can not understand that comment, for a while now some of our players have been going through the motions and we have lacked a TRUE leader as a driving force to gonad* those players who for whatever reason stroll through parts of the game.

Do you really think the likes of Mackay, Roberts, Mabbutt would not get into the faces of those they believed were not putting it all in? Lloris did the right thing ( imo) but as a keeper he is to far from a lot of the play to do so more often, one of the reasons i have said before we need a Capt in the middle of the pitch.

I don't know why you are confused. Edward played the no 10 role and still scored plenty of goals. So did Dele in prime Poch. Playing the no.10 role dies not preclude you getting in the box. Au contraire , with the two centre halves occupied by our new bullying centreforward, there should be ample room and space for H to get into areas where he can do maximum damage without being encumbered by such close attention from the opposition bruising centre halves.

But what you are proposing only really works if he is part of a 2. And who? Are you saying someone like Jimenez as an example?

I think that if we want Harry to regain his form and retain his legs, we need to make sure he has intelligent service on the floor and intelligent movement around him. Poch always wanted a front four which could switch and move throughout the match, thus Eriksen would be left then right, Dele in the 10 then uptop, and Harry could work that 35 yards from goal area, dropping into pockets of space, taking advantage to get into the box or simply lurk. But the movement around him has always been vital. A bruiser uptop is not the answer for me, the answer remains finding a player like Bruno Fernandes or hoping GLC can own it. We need intelligence, movement and smart interchanging players to bring the best out of Harry. Put it this way, if he ends up at Madrid or Barca, they won't have him there primarily as a 10. It is, however, incredible that he is our best passer right now!

Back