• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham v Everton

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that this is crazy, unless we have a creator playing tucked in on the right (like Eriksen used to) but we don't have one of those at the moment. We look very one track when we play all of the fast players. I would start Bergwijn but it would be in place of Moura.
I would start bergwein, son and Kane with Lo Celso in the 10
Get a DM and play him with NDombele (like we had when Dier or Wanyama played with Dembele) and we have a fix

I can’t see much evidence for any of the optimism above.

We are shaky in defence; despite having far too many (admittedly average) midfielders we struggle to create; our forward line looks half-fit and half-interested.

And we are bloody awful to watch.
Fair enough if thats how you see it. For me we look more solid and have a better structure, although fair enough it was a low bar set from where we were previously:D

I think most recognise how Mourinho wants to setup,but its going to take a while for players to adapt (a proper pre season would be key to this) and we definitely need to make some personnel changes. I just see some small positives, in what was always going to be a write off season.....

Two things worry (more than two in reality but these two especially:

1. Jose hasn’t managed to make us more solid. One of the easiest things to do as a new coach is make a team more compact, harder to break down etc. Harry did it when he took over from Ramos. Fair enough he had Ledley but all the same we slowly but surely started to concede fewer and ended up with the best home defensive record in the PL in his first season.
2. The break has done absolutely nothing to make us any better or hasn’t helped us despite having the most to gain with so many key players being injured who are now available.

Two things worry (more than two in reality but these two especially:

1. Jose hasn’t managed to make us more solid. One of the easiest things to do as a new coach is make a team more compact, harder to break down etc. Harry did it when he took over from Ramos. Fair enough he had Ledley but all the same we slowly but surely started to concede fewer and ended up with the best home defensive record in the PL in his first season.
2. The break has done absolutely nothing to make us any better or hasn’t helped us despite having the most to gain with so many key players being injured who are now available.
What was you expecting the break to do? We had a couple of weeks of socially distanced training, and players not having played for months they were never going to be in peak form upon return. Yes Kane is back but takes forever to get going anyway, Son is back and is as patchy as he ever is.
Regarding the not looking more solid - We've had two clean sheets in four games since the restart, and only conceded a penalty against a Man Utd who are scoring goals for fun. Yes Sheffield Utd was a bad day, but I certainly dont get the feeling we are constantly going to ship goals left, right and centre for which I have done a lot of this season.....

In any case, these last few games are certainly giving the word 'boredom' a new meaning... If that's what happens when two 'master tacticians' fight it out in one of the best leagues in the world, maybe I should invest more time in watching darts or paint drying for that matter. I can only speak for myself, but I found this game mind-numbing. I can't even say whether we look more solid or not. Everton looked absolutely dire and as for us, we created two half chances in 90 minutes.

I've always thought the fan thing was over rated, but I've never played in front of more than a couple of thousand, but I feel the lack of fans is draining the energy or purpose from the players, not just us but in a lot of teams. It seem the crowd do effect the performance, we seem lacking in aggression going forward but on the plus side we dont appear to be picking up on the nervousness the crowd exhibit is many situations. Nice to see a bit of passion from Lloris, team spirit is good but sometimes you need to kick arse.

@milo. Am I too late with a nomination for Vertonghen? Our best spell of the match came after he was introduced....

Had there been fans in the stadium last night then I wonder if that would've been one of the first occasions in the PL when a team was booed off after winning! :D

Hugo had a go at Son for being lazy (which he isn't really), knowing that Son is not the violent retaliation type.
Son, not being the violent retaliation type, but not wanting to look soft in front of the lads, had a half-hearted go back, hoping he would be restrained.
Which he was. Honours even.
Son is lazy when it comes to tracking back. Numerous occasions every game he is wrong side of his player when the opposition attack.

100% all this.

Jose previously has quite often secured the base of a team and then allowed the forward players to play 'off the cuff'.

He's spot on about Bergwijn, i see that he can mix his game at the right times (ie he's making good decisions) between individual skill, or laying it off/team interplay. He is a good signing. Moura (despite his hard work) is the complete opposite

Last edited:
Better but still not great. It may be sacrilidge to say it but I think a lot of our attacking problems stem from Harry. He is coasting in games and seems not to get out of second gear. Long gone are the days he sprinted to close players down and chase lost causes. He is not a commanding target man and too often gets bullied by the centre halves. He is not leading the line at all well. Today there were two great opportunities to be a goal poacher - one when the goalie spilled a shot and the other when Davies whipped in a great cross - and Harry was nowhere to be seen. Others seem to take their lead from him and if he isn't running his arse off they they think (maybe subconciously ) why should they bother. I really don't feel he is doing the team many favours at the moment. Yes he is a great goalscorer but we aren't playing to his current strengths.

Personally I think he would be better in a Mourinho team feeding off a bullying type centre forward who would battle for everything, hold up play and win headers. I think Harry would be best going forward in a Teddy Sherringham type role. He has the vision and the passing range and would benefit from not playing with his back to goal. He definitely would benefit from a major presence up front with him in my opinion
I also think it is clear that Kane isn't putting it all in. Numerous occasions we get it wide in a good position and he isn't keeping himself up with play. He is either still injured or not trying.

Last edited:
Looks like Mourinho is building the base well. Even before Covid I thought we were beginning to look better defensively, and since Dier has moved to CB I think we are really seeing some results- the Sheffield Utd game was a bad day at the office though. Add Tangana to the defence whether that be RB or CB and we could really begin to look solid. So the next issue is the CM, I don’t put the lack of creativity on Mourinho - we really do have personnel problems. Agree with Stef, if NDombele isn’t putting in the graft to show he should play then get rid and recruit a couple of players that will work well in that CM. I don’t believe things are that bleak, we look more solid and with some of our attacking options it will only take a couple of the RIGHT type of players recruited to make a massive difference to this team going forward.....
I seem to be in the minority but I'm not sure Tanganga is the saviour that many seem to believe. I hope to be proved wrong though.

Fair, I really like Bergwign. But for me Dele is a massive asset if we have someone who picks out his runs into the box. But good options to have anyway.....
He hasn’t done those runs for some time
And we have to be in that part of the pitch for that to work
It can and it has... not sure it will anymore though
Need to see I guess

I think that this is crazy, unless we have a creator playing tucked in on the right (like Eriksen used to) but we don't have one of those at the moment. We look very one track when we play all of the fast players. I would start Bergwijn but it would be in place of Moura.
Bold, but if it brought us £80+m Dele and Moura would be gone......w'd still have Kane Son Bergwijn Lamela La Celso.....sign another and/or maybe Eze and bring back Edwards?

I do not think that we need to get het up about who the DM is. We do not necessarily need a world beater, just someone who is well suited to the role, Mourinho's preferred way of playing and compliments our other players.

Agree. The only thing I would say is the better ones can actually distribute as well as break up.

Back