• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham v Dinamo Zagreb***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You really think sacking Poch was a mistake? on what criteria? kind of interesting several big jobs came and went that he didn't get (maybe the market judges better than us?), struggling in a farmers league with a very expensive squad. Was the right man at the right moment for us, but no question in the end, it was the right time for him to go. You say my hatred, mate the fandom for Poch is blinding a lot of people, at the end of the day I don't care about Harry, Poch, AVB, Jose, whoever is next .. good luck, thank you, see you on the other side

Which jobs came and went that you know he went for but didn't get? Farmers league maybe but PSG are one of the biggest sides in Europe. Struggling at PSG? He's managed what 20 games so far won them a trophy and thrashed Barcelona? Were they not already a troubled team when he took over? Bit of a desperate narrative. We were always on the up before Poch? This is a narrative I love that seems to be a favourite of those justifying Poch's sacking. Maybe, but I don't remember us challenging for the title and finishing in the highest league position since the 60s. In our history we have never got to the Champions League Final. There's on the up then there is a completely different level to the usual expectations at Spurs. And moreover with a midfield pivot no one rates, no cover for Kane other than a 34 year from old striker and no cover for our only creative force. To post that the things Poch achieved were inevitable is simply nonsense and I take with a huge pinch of salt.

And I mentioned it before, in the Levy era we have reach the QFs or better of a cup 21 fudging times, that conversion rate needs to

Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos Harry, AVB, Poch, Jose. That's quite a range of managers and abilities there. The one constant Enic and Levy. He has been a wonderful chairman and ENiC have brought stability from the Irving scholar era, unprecedented infrastructure build but they need to take some of the responsibility for the lack of trophies. You say the conversion rate needs to change. Realistically that happens by making the squad not just the team better than the rest. Other wise you are hoping for your team to upset the odds. Focussing on cups alone is not an option so you need a big squad. That means more money and higher wages. Jose is that established winner we always wanted and many claimed Poch is not. That he has crashed and burnt is terrible for our club but shows you how difficult it is to bring sustainable success. Even if he wins the Carabao Cup that really is only a consolation prize. Champs league was the minimum. I loved Poch but I am gutted that Jose has failed btw.

Last edited:
His deep low block/break with Kane and Son worked for a while. Then sides realized that by denying Kane space to turn inside and deliver worldys deep, that was us cut off as an attacking side. Sides also realized our defenders (by and large) are not good on the ball, including Hugo whose kicking is brick. He got a reprieve once the window closed because he had to make Dele work somehow (sadly not enough) and Bale found some form. He did also twig that Lucas as a 10 works better than Lucas anywhere else. Then Hojberg went off the boil, we struggled big-time, Kane got thwacked and so has been soldiering, Sonny got tired and lost some sharpness and form...add to this his behind the times tactics, and this was somewhat inevitable once we lost at Liverpool.

I have some sympathy. He is not a project manager. He has ended up with one. And then I remember what he said on coming in, and I further remember being told why he was here by several. So I have to say, sympathy for him is hard for me to find at this point, but being practical there are some areas he has been let down. But he is largely responsible IMO.

That is a fair and balanced post. I think Mourinho did genuinely feel the squad was good enough when he arrived. And on paper ( and from the outside) he was right. We had only recently reached the CL final. We had supplemented that squad with NDombele, LoCelso and Sess. We should ( and I emphasise should) have had all the players in place to form a solid foundation for him to work with.

But

Behind the scenes all was patently not well. We had flucked our way to Madrid with some unbelievable results ( albeit not performances) . In the PL the team was in free fall and hadn't won away for over a year. Some of the better players were too old ( Verts and Toby), or wanted away ( Eriksen) or who had stopped performing ( Dele) . Our recuitment over several years had been exceptionally poor. We had bought the wrong players at the wrong time in the wrong positions for dollops of dosh. However, not since Son have any really been of the requisite standard. Of the latest batch, NDombele flatters to deceive, Dogerty is a dog, LoCelso is a sicknote and Sess has already been loaned out. Only PEH has shown himself to the right player in a position we needed at the right price

There is one fundamental problem with Spurs and it can be summed up for me in one word.

Recruitment

Why Hitchens still has a job is a mystery to me. This is where all our problems have stemmed from for a long time. We just haven't bought the right players with the right attitudes in the positions we desperately needed them. It was apparent under Poch it is still continuing now. Why buy Clarke, why Rodon, why Bergwyn. Why Doherty? Hitchens has a lot to answer for in my book.

We desperately need a new DoF ( whoever the coach is) one that can spot real talent.

That is a fair and balanced post. I think Mourinho did genuinely feel the squad was good enough when he arrived. And on paper ( and from the outside) he was right. We had only recently reached the CL final. We had supplemented that squad with NDombele, LoCelso and Sess. We should ( and I emphasise should) have had all the players in place to form a solid foundation for him to work with.

But

Behind the scenes all was patently not well. We had flucked our way to Madrid with some unbelievable results ( albeit not performances) . In the PL the team was in free fall and hadn't won away for over a year. Some of the better players were too old ( Verts and Toby), or wanted away ( Eriksen) or who had stopped performing ( Dele) . Our recuitment over several years had been exceptionally poor. We had bought the wrong players at the wrong time in the wrong positions for dollops of dosh. However, not since Son have any really been of the requisite standard. Of the latest batch, NDombele flatters to deceive, Dogerty is a dog, LoCelso is a sicknote and Sess has already been loaned out. Only PEH has shown himself to the right player in a position we needed at the right price

There is one fundamental problem with Spurs and it can be summed up for me in one word.

Recruitment

Why Hitchens still has a job is a mystery to me. This is where all our problems have stemmed from for a long time. We just haven't bought the right players with the right attitudes in the positions we desperately needed them. It was apparent under Poch it is still continuing now. Why buy Clarke, why Rodon, why Bergwyn. Why Doherty? Hitchens has a lot to answer for in my book.

We desperately need a new DoF ( whoever the coach is) one that can spot real talent.

The biggest issue is that once Mitchell left, the de facto DoF was...DL. :-(

And therein lies the problem. With the greatest will in the world he wouldn't claim to be a talent spotter!!!!

I think his biggest problem is he thinks is the smartest man in the room with everything. He is a brilliant man in business, we can see that, he has worked wonder to get the stadium, but he is not a "football man" and as such, playing staff is not his remit. Where one manager sees a burnout coming, he sees an extra few million. Where another manager sees a player he need, Levy will see an alternative whose stats look the same but is a better deal. IMV.

I think his biggest problem is he thinks is the smartest man in the room with everything. He is a brilliant man in business, we can see that, he has worked wonder to get the stadium, but he is not a "football man" and as such, playing staff is not his remit. Where one manager sees a burnout coming, he sees an extra few million. Where another manager sees a player he need, Levy will see an alternative whose stats look the same but is a better deal. IMV.
Agree Steff, and I keep seeing this argument that Poch was not given a lot of the players he really wanted which is probably true. But, this is the same at most clubs who are not financially doped. And people keep saying Mourinho was massively backed in this window, but I don’t see it as any different to Poch really. Does anyone honest believe Mourinho wanted a right back and he said to Levy, Doherty is the one I really want? Wanted a CB and identified Rodon as the one he really wanted to improve our defence?! Of course Reguilon was a top buy, and Hojberg a good bargain buy but we had plenty of those during the Poch era too. Agree with all of those saying that we need a DoF followed by a coach who is pulling in the same direction. The frustrating thing is a DoF would massively help Levy in many ways - could identify better quality gems at bargain prices, and let him focus on what he does best like you say. This really should be a priority for the summer, IMO our squad issues are the biggest problem and getting in a DoF is the best way to begin rectifying this....

Agree Steff, and I keep seeing this argument that Poch was not given a lot of the players he really wanted which is probably true. But, this is the same at most clubs who are not financially doped. And people keep saying Mourinho was massively backed in this window, but I don’t see it as any different to Poch really. Does anyone honest believe Mourinho wanted a right back and he said to Levy, Doherty is the one I really want? Wanted a CB and identified Rodon as the one he really wanted to improve our defence?! Of course Reguilon was a top buy, and Hojberg a good bargain buy but we had plenty of those during the Poch era too. Agree with all of those saying that we need a DoF followed by a coach who is pulling in the same direction. The frustrating thing is a DoF would massively help Levy in many ways - could identify better quality gems at bargain prices, and let him focus on what he does best like you say. This really should be a priority for the summer, IMO our squad issues are the biggest problem and getting in a DoF is the best way to begin rectifying this....
A DoF alone won't solve the problems, we've had multiple of them. They all end up frustrated by Levy's interference. Until Levy gives the DoF a budget and just leaves them well alone then nothing will change no matter the manager.

My number one signing would be a new chairman or a complete delegation of responsibility for player incomings and outgoings. [emoji30]

Maybe having finally got his dream appointment after 10 years of trying only for him to be a disaster will teach him a lesson or two about what he thinks he knows about the football side of things (few of our supporters might also learn a similar lesson)

Absolutely. Our best buys were when Mitchell or the guy who got poached by Chelscum were in charge. It can work - even with Levy!

Back