• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham v Crystal Palace ***

Definitely doesn't happen often. ;) Personally, I also didn't expect him to be a Jol/Poch/Harry, just a good man and decent coach.

I think he's got a 6th place finish in him, which would make him an on-par coach - it's what I felt his Wolves team basically were, on-par for the players they had (which outclassed most promoted sides on account of Mendes' influence).

He'll do alright with what he has - will he be an earthshaking revelation? Probably not. But I think he'll end up doing a decent job with grace and dignity, which is in itself a definite improvement on the horrible git that preceded him.

As for whether we should be scraping around in 6th place instead of aiming higher - look, Levy set his stall out with the managerial search. It was clear we were looking for the cheapest option. So why get heated when the cheapest option delivers basically on-par results? You pays your money and you takes your choice - I'm resigned to it.

For me, all I want is for Nuno to play the yoof, attack more and comport himself well - be a role model for the young folks following the club. Anything more is a pleasant surprise. :)

Good assessment of nuno and what we should expect.
I don't think he was first choice, or even close, but i don't think we went for the cheap option.
Our top picks went elsewhere or weren't prepared to leave where are yet.
Football management is a short term job, by the time the next merry-go-round of top management moves starts we will be in a better place to get either the individual or the level of manager we want.
Nuno is a holding and stabilising appointment imo, more jol than poch or avb.

Good assessment of nuno and what we should expect.
I don't think he was first choice, or even close, but i don't think we went for the cheap option.
Our top picks went elsewhere or weren't prepared to leave where are yet.
Football management is a short term job, by the time the next merry-go-round of top management moves starts we will be in a better place to get either the individual or the level of manager we want.
Nuno is a holding and stabilising appointment imo, more jol than poch or avb.
Historically the stabilisers with less big club ana trophy winning experience have done better for us, so fingers crossed!

Do not disagree but from what i have seen the knives are already out for him from some.:(

I’ve been critical of him so far but the knives aren’t out from my point of view. I just don’t think he’ll be successful here.

He deserves at least a season now we’ve appointed him and I sincerely hope he proves me wrong. As the manager, he has my support but I just don’t see him being what we need. That said, I’ve been wrong on literally every manager since Christian Gross. Well all except Tactics Tim but I don’t count his reign.

I’ve been critical of him so far but the knives aren’t out from my point of view. I just don’t think he’ll be successful here.

He deserves at least a season now we’ve appointed him and I sincerely hope he proves me wrong. As the manager, he has my support but I just don’t see him being what we need. That said, I’ve been wrong on literally every manager since Christian Gross. Well all except Tactics Tim but I don’t count his reign.

You may be right about him not being the right man for the job, but he is here and as supporters we have to give him time to see what he can do. Not saying you have but there are some who ( or who seem) to have given him no benefit of the doubt.

Most of us know our team has been a mess for a while now ( and despite what some think it started under Poch) and it will not be reshaped overnight. As you say he needs at least the end of this season but i do fear that some will turn before that which means yet more upheavel and us going around in circles.

EE04E00A-DD2B-47F5-BFD3-D42E713F6C5D.png
You may be right about him not being the right man for the job, but he is here and as supporters we have to give him time to see what he can do. Not saying you have but there are some who ( or who seem) to have given him no benefit of the doubt.

Most of us know our team has been a mess for a while now ( and despite what some think it started under Poch) and it will not be reshaped overnight. As you say he needs at least the end of this season but i do fear that some will turn before that which means yet more upheavel and us going around in circles.
People don’t seem to what to recognise that priority number 1 is fix the rot in this team
This team has had a toxicity in it for some time and that isn’t a quick and easy fix
We made big progress on it this summer
Then it’s a case of integrate new players and the existing players into a style of play that he wants
That again isn’t a quick thing with players that carry a LOT of legacy baggage from previous coaching
I mean it does look like he has quickly fixed the defensive issues and Dier and Sanchez suddenly look ok CBs which we all thought was impossible.
Our fitness is also clearly better than it was hence why we could see our games quite comfortably before Saturday
What he can’t stop is confirmation bias. There are plenty of fans who didn’t want Nuno. Saturday have them a chance to come back and moan. They won’t go away
What I would suggest though is people look at Pochs first season here
It took him 7 league games to win 3 league games. We lost to West Brom in that the run as we as pool. We drew with Sunderland at home and had an average start in the Europa
His next two league games after that 7th one was losses to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and city. We also lost to stoke in game 11
It wasn’t good
It was below average
What is the difference between what Nuno is trying to do now and Poch then?

View attachment 12718
People don’t seem to what to recognise that priority number 1 is fix the rot in this team
This team has had a toxicity in it for some time and that isn’t a quick and easy fix
We made big progress on it this summer
Then it’s a case of integrate new players and the existing players into a style of play that he wants
That again isn’t a quick thing with players that carry a LOT of legacy baggage from previous coaching
I mean it does look like he has quickly fixed the defensive issues and Dier and Sanchez suddenly look ok CBs which we all thought was impossible.
Our fitness is also clearly better than it was hence why we could see our games quite comfortably before Saturday
What he can’t stop is confirmation bias. There are plenty of fans who didn’t want Nuno. Saturday have them a chance to come back and moan. They won’t go away
What I would suggest though is people look at Pochs first season here
It took him 7 league games to win 3 league games. We lost to West Brom in that the run as we as pool. We drew with Sunderland at home and had an average start in the Europa
His next two league games after that 7th one was losses to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and city. We also lost to stoke in game 11
It wasn’t good
It was below average
What is the difference between what Nuno is trying to do now and Poch then?

Whats the difference, expectations.
Poch has raised them and every manager will be unfairly judged on that.
Let's be totally blunt, we the support, THFC, Daniel Levy and poch all lucked out because the stars akigned on the right group of players being at the club at the same time as a manager that suited them.
It was a symbiotic occurance that almost but not quite paid off.
That we could be so good for so long and not win a trophy boggles the.
The core and heartbeat of that squad is gone and so is manger, but the expectation hasn't.

Whats the difference, expectations.
Poch has raised them and every manager will be unfairly judged on that.
Let's be totally blunt, we the support, THFC, Daniel Levy and poch all lucked out because the stars akigned on the right group of players being at the club at the same time as a manager that suited them.
It was a symbiotic occurance that almost but not quite paid off.
That we could be so good for so long and not win a trophy boggles the.
The core and heartbeat of that squad is gone and so is manger, but the expectation hasn't.
I agree
Fans expect more but forget it needs time be either earned over time and hard work or just brought
And your right about it all aligning
I mean we ended up with the best striker in the land being a kid from our youth team no one really rated other than dim tim
We brought eriksen in because the bigger sides didn’t want to take the gamble
Dele was a precarious CM brought from MK for a bargain fee
Our defence was already here apart from Toby
We finally got mighty mousse playing that CM role his skills had been working on since he was a kid in Belgium

I agree
Fans expect more but forget it needs time be either earned over time and hard work or just brought
And your right about it all aligning
I mean we ended up with the best striker in the land being a kid from our youth team no one really rated other than dim tim
We brought eriksen in because the bigger sides didn’t want to take the gamble
Dele was a precarious CM brought from MK for a bargain fee
Our defence was already here apart from Toby
We finally got mighty mousse playing that CM role his skills had been working on since he was a kid in Belgium

And finding that we had two ideal fb that we had never been able to get the best out who would flourish.
I vididly remember the speculation when pich came in that we would raid Southampton for schederlien (sp), the latin striker they had someone else because he was wedded to thst system.
Instead he took what he had, built a system for them, got them to but into and away we went.
Given the time i'm sure nuno will do the same.
Maybe not to such dizzying heights, but top 4-5 and hopefully a cup. But not this year.

We were disjointed. We had no transformation player linking the attack and the defence. As there was no Son, we had had no players making the run in behind Kane.

I feel as if the players’ heads dropped once Tanganga was sent off. We had shown no creative spark, we had given no sense that we would achieve a result, but instead we were waiting for a 0-0… or as it transpired, a sizeable loss. Nuno Espírito Santo was either unprepared to make the required changes, or was unable to make the desired changes with forced substitutions for first, Dier’s injury, and then Tanganga’s dismissal.

Ultimately, it was a game that we were never going to win set up as we were. We need Ndombele to find his head, he is the link player that we need. He is a player that can be a ball carrier and also a distributor. He has the eye for a pass and can help the side tick BUT he needs to get his head down, play hard and be the player that he can be, and that we need him to be.

Ndombele is the answer but sadly only if he wants to be.

I'm perfectly happy to give him till the end of the season. But, and it's a big but, I don't want any more negative team selections, tactics and lack of in game management we witnessed against Palace. I don't want to watch a team that scores one outfield goal in four matches. Nuno promised us fast, attacking football. I would rather see us lose 3-4 while going for it than meekly succumb to a defeat like our last game with no fight and no attacking intent.

Nuno must change his mindset - and quickly.

I'm perfectly happy to give him till the end of the season. But, and it's a big but, I don't want any more negative team selections, tactics and lack of in game management we witnessed against Palace. I don't want to watch a team that scores one outfield goal in four matches. Nuno promised us fast, attacking football. I would rather see us lose 3-4 while going for it than meekly succumb to a defeat like our last game with no fight and no attacking intent.

Nuno must change his mindset - and quickly.

I think he is trying to change the players mindset, there's a time to get your down and grind out wins. Not to feel sorry for yourself about what you can't control and not try.
And that is more or less what happened on Saturday.
We looked fine, dull and boring granted, but well in the game.
Dier went off, we coped.
They got away with a few niggling fouls, especially on moura, and then the crap happened with tge red card, pen and the foul on moura when he was through on goal (which was a red card but has totally forgotten about) and we collapsed.

I also disagree that the knives are out for Nuno. I think a large majority of our fan base accept that it would be madness for him to not be given this season as a minimum. The style of play concerns me somewhat but it's still early days and he's not yet had a great deal of time to work with his squad (though, again, I am a little concerned that he is shaping them into a defensive, counter attacking unit in the work he has done with them so far).

If we're up in and around the top five then I think a majority of the fans will stay with him even if the football is poor. If we're 7th/8th or lower and playing defensive then I think things might get a bit ugly.

I'm not looking forward to Sunday's game, where I think Chelsea are far superior to us in every part of the pitch (and in terms of their head coach as well) but if we can get through that without getting a tonking and then somehow get a win away to Woolwich Wanderers then Nuno will ensure that he has got the supporters onside for a while and can continue with the fans fully behind the team.

Having seen our joke of a manager hunt after sacking Jose, the last thing we need is to go through another manager hunt. Hopefully the club will do some good business in January and then can have another similar window to the summer just gone in 2022, at which point we may have a squad that can mount a challenge for 4th place.

The key this season is to stay in European football (and hopefully Europa League instead of the Euro Minnows Bowl). I think we'll probably need to further strengthen in January to achieve the 6th place finish that it will likely take to qualify.

I also disagree that the knives are out for Nuno. I think a large majority of our fan base accept that it would be madness for him to not be given this season as a minimum. The style of play concerns me somewhat but it's still early days and he's not yet had a great deal of time to work with his squad (though, again, I am a little concerned that he is shaping them into a defensive, counter attacking unit in the work he has done with them so far).

If we're up in and around the top five then I think a majority of the fans will stay with him even if the football is poor. If we're 7th/8th or lower and playing defensive then I think things might get a bit ugly.

I'm not looking forward to Sunday's game, where I think Chelsea are far superior to us in every part of the pitch (and in terms of their head coach as well) but if we can get through that without getting a tonking and then somehow get a win away to Woolwich Wanderers then Nuno will ensure that he has got the supporters onside for a while and can continue with the fans fully behind the team.

Having seen our joke of a manager hunt after sacking Jose, the last thing we need is to go through another manager hunt. Hopefully the club will do some good business in January and then can have another similar window to the summer just gone in 2022, at which point we may have a squad that can mount a challenge for 4th place.

The key this season is to stay in European football (and hopefully Europa League instead of the Euro Minnows Bowl). I think we'll probably need to further strengthen in January to achieve the 6th place finish that it will likely take to qualify.

All good points although I think a draw at Woolwich would be okay.

I also think Nuno has not been helped by Levy's "DNA" statement. That puts pressure on him to play a certain way although, to be fair, Nuno played up to that in one of the club interviews he did early on.

All good points although I think a draw at Woolwich would be okay.

I also think Nuno has not been helped by Levy's "DNA" statement. That puts pressure on him to play a certain way although, to be fair, Nuno played up to that in one of the club interviews he did early on.
I would hope that most of our supporters saw through Levy's DNA statement.

I would hope that most of our supporters saw through Levy's DNA statement.

I've seen it mentioned here a few times. On top of that, the media have pushed it a few times. If we continue to play as we are and results aren't good, they'll rake it up again and that will see a narrative build that detractors will be keen to latch on to.

Back