• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT *** Tottenham v Brighton

Reason might be simple enough, but I don't see an easy solution.

I think the reason why Mourinho is chopping and changing is because our squad is lacking balance and like for like replacements.

Won't list them all (again), but they're severe enough. We can't just replace Reguilon, Kane, Aurier, Dier, Lo Celso and/or Ndombele and expect to play the same way when the players coming in bring very different strengths and weaknesses along with a lower overall quality.
You don't need like for like replacements. You need a set way of playing. Milner is no TAA, but he's done a job there many times. Same with Henderson and Fabinho. None of them are like for like replacements for Van Dijk, yet they do a job, because they know the role and what that role is expected to do. If you have a philosophy and a style of play that is practised over a period of time, any player that comes into the team, should know their role and what to do when. There will always be a difference in quality and skill set between different players, but that does not really matter. Ones weakness might be another ones strength.

You don't need like for like replacements. You need a set way of playing. Milner is no TAA, but he's done a job there many times. Same with Henderson and Fabinho. None of them are like for like replacements for Van Dijk, yet they do a job, because they know the role and what that role is expected to do. If you have a philosophy and a style of play that is practised over a period of time, any player that comes into the team, should know their role and what to do when. There will always be a difference in quality and skill set between different players, but that does not really matter. Ones weakness might be another ones strength.
You don't need like for like replacements, but having some of them helps.

Having a set way of playing is good, but that requires players that can work in that set way, even if they're not like for like. What set way of playing can you have that would allow you to fluidly mix and match between Sissoko, Winks and Ndombele?

What set way of playing allows you to switch between Alderweireld and Sanches without changing the way you're playing?

You don't need like for like replacements, but having some of them helps.

Having a set way of playing is good, but that requires players that can work in that set way, even if they're not like for like. What set way of playing can you have that would allow you to fluidly mix and match between Sissoko, Winks and Ndombele?

What set way of playing allows you to switch between Alderweireld and Sanches without changing the way you're playing?
All players have different attributes. Other clubs have exactly the same challenge when changing their line up. Having different attributes does not mean that you can't play the same role as someone with other attributes. It just means doing it in a slightly different way. Getting that right is what big managers and coaches are there to do!

Same as what Mouinho did to win Man Utd the Euro also rans bowl..... although Poch actually still managed 4th place with that stale squad his chairman left him with.

I'm not having a go or anything but I'm surprised at the number of times Pochettino's name comes up in every conversation. Maybe it's time to move on (assuming you haven't). From what I've seen, everyone seems to be grateful for the good (sometimes great) times he brought to the club so there's no need to defend him constantly.

I only mention this because reading his name consistently makes me feel like he's bigger than the club. He was the right man at the right time for us and we'll see what the future holds for him but he's gone now. If/when Kane finally leaves, I hope his name won't pop up in every other thread (and that doesn't take anything from the fact that he's certainly one of the very best forwards we've had).

I'm not having a go or anything but I'm surprised at the number of times Pochettino's name comes up in every conversation. Maybe it's time to move on (assuming you haven't). From what I've seen, everyone seems to be grateful for the good (sometimes great) times he brought to the club so there's no need to defend him constantly.

I only mention this because reading his name consistently makes me feel like he's bigger than the club. He was the right man at the right time for us and we'll see what the future holds for him but he's gone now. If/when Kane finally leaves, I hope his name won't pop up in every other thread (and that doesn't take anything from the fact that he's certainly one of the very best forwards we've had).

Agree with this. Poch is revered and rightly so, but he was fallible. I’m not hating on the guy, I wish him all the best and hope he wins everything there is to win at PSG even though I don’t like PSG. I’d be happy for him if he wins the CL. I’d welcome him back assuming he can pick up some more trophies along the way.

All players have different attributes. Other clubs have exactly the same challenge when changing their line up. Having different attributes does not mean that you can't play the same role as someone with other attributes. It just means doing it in a slightly different way. Getting that right is what big managers and coaches are there to do!
Other clubs have the same challenge to various degrees.

It's one of the reasons new managers often look to replace at least a handful of players in the squad, they want/need players with the right attributes to play well in their system. Guardiola and Klopp have done that and done that over time with quite a few players.

I would claim we have that problem to a greater degree than quite a few of the teams we want to be competing with.

Back