• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT *** Tottenham v Brighton

I know everything is easy in hindsight but I was against Mourinho`s appointment in the first place. I always questioned how he would do if he took over a team like Bournemouth for instance. Could he keep them in the Prem or get them promoted from the championship? The truth is he has always coached teams who were either at the top of their game and had a good team/squad or was given hundreds of millions to spend. The exception probably being Man U who he won the europa league and league cup with a pretty average squad.
I bet most people on here were pleased with our recruitment in the summer, in fact we were asking why Poch never got the backing from Levy. I was well optimistic at the beginning of the season which is unusual for me being a fan for over 50 years (even my blood group is is B negative) I normally have pretty low expectations. But with the exception of a few games this season it has been dire. Yes we have been unlucky in a few games, the penalty Saudi Sportswashing Machine got late on and a couple of other games like Anfield I thought we were unlucky not to get a result. But the rest of the time it has been hard to watch.
If WHL had been full the crowd would have been groaning and howling at the performances, and the ground would have been empty on 80 minutes after some of our performances this season.
I think he is lucky there are no crowds because they would have been slaughtering him. The starting line up against Liverpool was bad enough, but to bring on Winks and Lamela when you are chasing the game against the reigning champions is madness. Then to use the same formation and tactics in the next game has just done me.
Brighton have not won at home all season and we play 5 at the back, no recognised striker and a player we all had massive hopes for(Bale) who in reality has been a waste of space.
Dont even get me started on the passing tonight it was woeful all game. I would rather see some of our youngsters get a chance than have to watch these tactics/formation again. We truly didn`t look like a team with any plan or organisation tonight.
I am dreading the game on thursday now, it will be bad enough when I go to work tomorrow the crap I am going to get.
All the years I have been a supporter and seen some really bad times but this last week has done me.I thought I was long over Spurs ruining my weekend but I cant wait to see the back of Mourinho
Rant over!

I agree
Players who care
Carlton Cole is highlighting that we are not getting in their faces
I mean Toby cut his mouth from blocking a ball with his foot
That’s typical (yeah I know something else happened)
We had Lamela take a free kick form 30 yards and shoot
We had bale on £200k plus running like a fat kid chasing cake
We had Davies work so hard to win the ball and pass is back... then do it again... then do it again (I mean that’s stupid)

Bales best run was off the field when he got subbed
And I was advocating him starting!

Get rid

Used to say that about Warrington in RL. One of the reasons I stopped going. I would have quite happily watched 13 local lads from the town, who you know would be playing for the shirt, than some Aussie or Kiwi mercenary who didnt give a toss if the team won or lost because he still got his weekly wage.

I know the feeling mate

I follow HullFC

The crowd thing is a good point. DL probably won’t be aware of the sentiment at the moment and he was so starry eyed on the Amazon doc I suspect even a win against West Brom in between 2 defeats will probably be more than enough to keep the situation ticking along.

Then there’s the league cup final. DL brought Jose in to win a trophy. He’s one game away from being proved right. The problem is, how much damage can be done between now and May!?

In reality - DL won’t be thinking like the rest of us. He’ll probably see what’s happened at Arse and Utd and think there’s no reason Jose can’t do the same.

The crowd thing is a good point. DL probably won’t be aware of the sentiment at the moment and he was so starry eyed on the Amazon doc I suspect even a win against West Brom in between 2 defeats will probably be more than enough to keep the situation ticking along.

Then there’s the league cup final. DL brought Jose in to win a trophy. He’s one game away from being proved right. The problem is, how much damage can be done between now and May!?

In reality - DL won’t be thinking like the rest of us. He’ll probably see what’s happened at Arse and Utd and think there’s no reason Jose can’t do the same.

The pressure and rumours about Jose being fired will ramp up in the media now, so I think he'll become aware. And I can believe we'll have the 2000 sized crowds back in April, at which point it'll become clear.

If Everton and Villa win their games in hand, then we're 8th. We're only two points from 10th

It's easy to allow yourself a knee-jerk reaction after such a pathetic performance and, to be honest, I was just as disappointed as the next guy after having to watch that last night.

Having said that, I've been on (and off) this board since the late 90s and I can't even recall the number of times I've read people asking for the manager's head or demanding a complete clear-out after yet another miserable performance.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, this group of players was never good enough to challenge for the title. We were top of the league for a couple of weeks, but only because Liverpool and City had to deal with injuries and couldn't get the results they were looking for. I don't really care about Mourinho's persona or his reputation. For me, that was never going to happen. We're still very much a work in progress and, despite what happened yesterday (which was completely unacceptable) we can't afford to lose the plot.

This squad reminds me of the one we had in the mid-90s. It's full of over-rated players who never own up to their own shortcomings. That, in my opinion, is a lot worse than having an inept manager at the helm. Unfortunately, nobody moves 10 or 15 players in one transfer window. It just doesn't happen. The closest thing I've seen was us buying half a dozen players with the money from Bale's transfer and that wasn't a huge success.

Curiously, I'd say that the most important thing at the moment for us is continuity. We need to identify quality players, buy them and stick with them, at least for a couple of seasons. We haven't done so badly this season from that point of view: Reguillon and Hojbjerg have proved to be decent additions. Unfortunately, moving on average players like Sanchez, Davies or Sissoko will take a lot of time so, unless we sell one of our top players, I can't see where the money for another massive investment in the squad is coming from.

We look very poor at the moment but I can't really think of another manager who'd turn us into title challengers with that very same squad of players. Plus, changing managers every 15 months or so doesn't make a club like ours a very appealing proposition. We might as well give Mourinho until the end of the season. In April, we'll know whether there's still a chance of making the Top 4 and/or winning something. If the answer is no, it'll give us a couple of months to look for a suitable replacement.

Yesterday's game was pretty much a carbon copy of the 3-0 loss at Brighton, that pretty much sealed it for Poch. A total lack of effort from everyone on the pitch.
The last weeks have also highlighted what's important to me with football. I want to see good football. Players doing unexpected and brilliant things, attacking with pace and numbers, going all out to score!
I've realized that how football is played is more important to me than results.
And the football spurs are playing now, is just dreadful. Combine that with not even getting results, it's take out every iota of interest.
I haven't looked forward to a game in months, because I know exactly what's coming, and how it will pan out.
The only thing exiting, are some moments of brilliance from Tanguy. The rest is just a big pile of kaku

Last edited:
It's easy to allow yourself a knee-jerk reaction after such a pathetic performance and, to be honest, I was just as disappointed as the next guy after having to watch that last night.

Having said that, I've been on (and off) this board since the late 90s and I can't even recall the number of times I've read people asking for the manager's head or demanding a complete clear-out after yet another miserable performance.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, this group of players was never good enough to challenge for the title. We were top of the league for a couple of weeks, but only because Liverpool and City had to deal with injuries and couldn't get the results they were looking for. I don't really care about Mourinho's persona or his reputation. For me, that was never going to happen. We're still very much a work in progress and, despite what happened yesterday (which was completely unacceptable) we can't afford to lose the plot.

This squad reminds me of the one we had in the mid-90s. It's full of over-rated players who never own up to their own shortcomings. That, in my opinion, is a lot worse than having an inept manager at the helm. Unfortunately, nobody moves 10 or 15 players in one transfer window. It just doesn't happen. The closest thing I've seen was us buying half a dozen players with the money from Bale's transfer and that wasn't a huge success.

Curiously, I'd say that the most important thing at the moment for us is continuity. We need to identify quality players, buy them and stick with them, at least for a couple of seasons. We haven't done so badly this season from that point of view: Reguillon and Hojbjerg have proved to be decent additions. Unfortunately, moving on average players like Sanchez, Davies or Sissoko will take a lot of time so, unless we sell one of our top players, I can't see where the money for another massive investment in the squad is coming from.

We look very poor at the moment but I can't really think of another manager who'd turn us into title challengers with that very same squad of players. Plus, changing managers every 15 months or so doesn't make a club like ours a very appealing proposition. We might as well give Mourinho until the end of the season. In April, we'll know whether there's still a chance of making the Top 4 and/or winning something. If the answer is no, it'll give us a couple of months to look for a suitable replacement.
Bravo
Great post

Great post but want to discuss a bit more.

Is our squad worse than Leicester? Man U? Hell even West Ham? I don't think so, we have some deadwood and have not invested appropriately for years (oh hello 'painful rebuild' - Mr Pochettino) but we have Son, Kane, Ndombele, Reguilon, and a supporting cast who elsewhere have showed some impressive returns (Bergwijn, Moura, Rodon, Hjobjerg) along with some basic PL players who can do a job.

Putting this all on the players entirely absolves Jose of responsibility and i don't think that's fair. We have enough attacking talent to muster more than 1/2 shots a game.

That's a great post. I don't agree with some of it but you've articulated your argument very well.

The only thing I'll say is that I don't think any fan thinks "we've got to be challenging for the title or the manager should be fired". I did think we could challenge this season but the fact we aren't isn't a dealbreaker for me. With the results Jose has achieved, I'd be quite happy if I could see a team progressing and playing entertaining football. But what I'm seeing is a side with the creativity being knocked out of them, playing with fear and with no discernable attacking plan beyond hoping that Sonny and Kane can produce moments of brilliance on the counter. Last night, I also saw a lack of effort and belief. Allied to the fact that Dele has been cast aside and now Aurier too and all the signs are alarming.

Mourinho doesn't play a brand of football I believe in. He has previous for losing dressing rooms and the signs are there that it's happening again. So not being in the title race isn't the problem for me, its' everything else. Once Mourinho stops getting results, he's poison to a football club. I fear we're reaching that point.

The top of the table stuff was an anomaly like you say. No different to Everton, Leicester or Chelsea topping the table (I may also throw in Southampton!).

But....I think we are watching a team that could finish anywhere between 4th and 10th. Jose's job/remit is to make it 4th, If DL is insisting on 4th, then he needs to judge whether Jose can still deliver that, or if a swift change can maybe re-route the ship towards that.

The way the team are heading at the moment - I think its likely we finish 6th/7th/8th. I think the players are capable of better but I think the way they are being setup with no attacking strategy is the reason for the struggle. I think DL (with compensation probably in mind) will persist with Jose. More so I think he would scoff at any talk of getting rid.

Further to the above it looks like the heat on Bale this morning will take the heat off Jose for a while.

Back