• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Woolwich Wanderers

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Legally, without a confession, I don’t see how the police could prove it to be racist act and different to say throwing a coffee cup.

That the club came and out with zero tolerance is credit to Spurs. It’s quite possible someone had just eaten a banana and reached for the only thing to hand, or they planned it as a racist gesture. Either way the club has to set a president and have zero tolerance. Ultimately there was a choice: to throw a banana skin or not, Spurs have to take the required action.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Throwing a banana at a football game is pretty much synonymous with any other racist utterance. Any football fan with half a brain cell knows this (not directed at you obviously, but the guy who threw it must've known what he was doing).

Throwing a banana at a football game is pretty much synonymous with any other racist utterance.

I agree but a banana skin. (unless he was trying to make him slip on it)
This might have been that the idiot at just finished his banana?
Throwing anything should be a life ban imo.

Didn't watch most of it as i was out and about dining with friends and families.

I think this loss sounds worse than last year in that we had a result in the palm of our hands but seems Poch was tactically schooled.

I must say, the most worrying thing is that it feels like Wenger's first NLD win way back in 1996 when the clubs were close in terms of teams and points but then went very separate ways due to lack of diligence off the pitch. The way they celebrated the win back in 1996 was very similar to their celebrations yesterday as far as i recall too...:(

Can anyone with a memory that stretches over 22 years put me right on this? That is, tell me how far wrong i am!!

We were tired. Emery has made Arsenal formidable again. These are the two explanations, and it should be clear in a while which was most right.

Don’t know which of them I’d prefer to be true. If it’s fatigue, we’ll struggle against SCBC, Barca and the Xmas ordeal. If the Woolwich are resurgent and we don’t celebrate Arseover this year, even making the CL would be tainted.

Ugh.

The fatigue was from 3 enormous games in a week. Generally I think our sharpness has been starting to come back following the world cup hangovers.

I'd expect a comfortable but not glorious win with a heavily changed side against Soton, then back to our best at the weekend.

Throwing a banana at a football game is pretty much synonymous with any other racist utterance. Any football fan with half a brain cell knows this (not directed at you obviously, but the guy who threw it must've known what he was doing).

I don't disagree. Not sure how you prove it in a legal sense though.

You don't have to. Definition of Racist Incident. The Macpherson Report defined a racist incident as “any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person”.

I have a problem with that in a moral/ legal sense. For example, if I say I percieve your post to be racist how could you possibly enforce that law and convict you!?

You don't have to. Definition of Racist Incident. The Macpherson Report defined a racist incident as “any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person”.

More specifically, under the Equality Act 2010 harassment is any behaviour which violates the complainant's dignity, or creates an intimidating or hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for them.

Bananas qualify.

And, of course, the club can ban anyone they like, whether the CPS fancy their chances or not.

I have a problem with that in a moral/ legal sense. If I say I percieve your post to be racist (when its clearly not) how could you possibly enforce that law and convict you!?

The report was published in 1999 and I can't think of any high profile incidents like you describe since.

It makes it clear though that the onus is on the individual in how there actions can be interpreted. Any reasonable person would know how throwing a banana at a black footballer could be perceived as racist. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I have a problem with that in a moral/ legal sense. For example, if I say I percieve your post to be racist how could you possibly enforce that law and convict you!?

It's a criminal offence rather than a civil tort, so it comes down to whether the police and CPS think it's worth it. Neither are idiots. Both are influenced by media pressure in cases which attract publicity.

The report was published in 1999 and I can't think of any high profile incidents like you describe since.

It makes it clear though that the onus is on the individual in how there actions can be interpreted. Any reasonable person would know how throwing a banana at a black footballer could be perceived as racist. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Agreed. You'd have to be really, really thick to not understand the connotations of throwing a banana at a player of African descent. Ignorance is not an excuse. Doubt anyone would be defending an Arsenal or Chelsea fan if they threw a banana at Sissoko.

We as a club have seen enough abuse of our fans by the anti jewish chanting... to have some clown think that he could get away with chucking a banana on a pitch at a black player is bizarre

We are IMO one of the best clubs around for being tolerant of all fans and were such a diverse club too with players literally from all over thew world now and this guy has effectively abused them too

We as a club have seen enough abuse of our fans by the anti jewish chanting... to have some clown think that he could get away with chucking a banana on a pitch at a black player is bizarre

We are IMO one of the best clubs around for being tolerant of all fans and were such a diverse club too with players literally from all over thew world now and this guy has effectively abused them too

...the point I made alrady is the club can act where the law itself is shakey. Spurs don't need to mess around with perceptions, there was a choice to throw or not to throw a banana. That act equals a ban.

...the point I made alrady is the club can act where the law itself is shakey. Spurs don't need to mess around with perceptions, there was a choice to throw or not to throw a banana. The act itself equals a ban.

And I believe legal action against the man

Having seen the photos he kept the banana skin in his pocket ready to chuck so it wasn't a reactive thing...

And I believe legal action against the man

Having seen the photos he kept the banana skin in his pocket ready to chuck so it wasn't a reactive thing...

Hopefully. Wouldn't hold your breath tho. Spurs however, don't need to go through the judical system and acted swiftly right after the game.

The fatigue was from 3 enormous games in a week. Generally I think our sharpness has been starting to come back following the world cup hangovers.

I'd expect a comfortable but not glorious win with a heavily changed side against Soton, then back to our best at the weekend.
Agree mate. I was asking myself last night are Ramsey, Aubameyang and Lacazette better than Hazard, Willian, Kante Jorginho and Giroud. The answer was no. The difference though between those 2 games in my opinion was freshness and the time we were given on the ball. Looking forward to Carabao cup tbh.

Good to hear that fan who threw a banana skin got dealt with; how does he think the likes of Dele, Sanchez, Sissoko or Aurier would have felt?? clam
Being from an ethnic back ground myself I have often been amazed how friends and work colleagues could make racist comments around me and then say “but you’re ok.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back