• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Palace (the TL;DR version)

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Each to their own, of course.
I'm not clear only we only have "one chance" to get it right (whatever 'right' means)?
Personally I hate the jumping in unison thing, and I hate the continuous noise from the likes of Dortmund as you miss that growing roar of anticipation as a player bears down on goal.

There were lulls last night, as there always are. Maybe we all expected a bit more for the first game proper but I thought it was more than OK.

Yeah it's a fair point and of course each to their own. And with the Dortmund ref I don't mean for a whole 90mins. That'd be almost impossible. Even they don't do that and certainly didn't at Wembley. What they do have though is a massive presence in the ground through their enthusiasm. Ours I felt was fairly predictable and, as you and many others also noticed, full of lengthy lulls.

I remember a couple of games at old WHL where Park Lane would hold on to a good ten min thorough repetition of "Martin Jol's / Pochettino's blue and white army"! It was rocking and so so loud.

For me, the loudest I heard all night was "We've Got All..." - and that was sung to him during the bloody warm-up lol

The second goal was weird. From the other end, we thought maybe Kane had been fouled and were waiting to see if a penalty was given. When Eriksen scored we weren't sure whether the game had already been stopped.
It was a shame as it felt like being cheated out of a proper celebration.

Wasn't helped by Eriksen's rather static on the spot fist-pump. All a bit muted.

It'll be incredible when someone smashes in a cracker and the players all run to the crowd at full speed like the old days.

The last thing i want to see is a manufactured atmosphere

Agree. But imo if we're saying it needs to be manufactured, then there's some really poor fans in that South Stand.

But as has been said, each to their own. Some prefer to go and keep quiet for most of match. Others want to go and give their all to help the players and give the club an identity.

The last thing i want to see is a manufactured atmosphere

What, pray, is a manufactured atmosphere? Drums? Loudspeaker prompts? Cheerleaders?

What I want to see is an intimidating atmosphere. Don't really care how it comes about as long as inspires our team and puts fear into the opposition,

What, pray, is a manufactured atmosphere? Drums? Loudspeaker prompts? Cheerleaders?

What I want to see is an intimidating atmosphere. Don't really care how it comes about as long as inspires our team and puts fear into the opposition,

Atmosphere in a can. Available at all good libraries.

Exactly. You've just articulated perfectly exactly what I've been struggling to this morning.

Any organised effort to generate atmosphere, including but not limited to what you mention.

Give me an organic/reactionary atmosphere over that any day - even if it comes with lulls and quiet periods.

Agree. But imo if we're saying it needs to be manufactured, then there's some really poor fans in that South Stand.

But as has been said, each to their own. Some prefer to go and keep quiet for most of match. Others want to go and give their all to help the players and give the club an identity.

I may be being overly sensitive here but I hope you are not inferring that my comment of "each to their own" means I prefer to keep quiet. I can assure you that is most certainly not the case.
I just don't think we need to come up with new ways for supporting the team.
Agree that we all want the atmosphere to be loud, inspiring and intimidating - and everyone has a part to play in that.

I may be being overly sensitive here but I hope you are not inferring that my comment of "each to their own" means I prefer to keep quiet. I can assure you that is most certainly not the case.
I just don't think we need to come up with new ways for supporting the team.
Agree that we all want the atmosphere to be loud, inspiring and intimidating - and everyone has a part to play in that.

Lol, no you're all good. Wasn't inferring it directly at all. There genuinely are some that prefer not to sing yet are fully immersed in the game still. I imagine a lot of the perhaps older generation are more this end of the scale for instance.
And don't get me wrong, there are many a tune I abstain from either cos I have the hump with a certain player, or more likely, because I don't want to vocalise those particular profanities about Sol Campbell in front of my daughter!

But yes, everyone does need to play their part to make it intimidating. It's when this doesn't happen n that I think new ways to support the team are potentially needed. A change is as good as a rest and all that.

Each to their own, of course.
I'm not clear why we only have "one chance" to get it right (whatever 'right' means)?
Personally I hate the jumping in unison thing, and I hate the continuous noise from the likes of Dortmund as you miss that growing roar of anticipation as a player bears down on goal.

There were lulls last night, as there always are. Maybe we all expected a bit more for the first game proper but I thought it was more than OK.

Don't worry about signing any new players next season to keep the I want something to moan about "fans", just get all the mindless macarons from X factor and Got talent shows they'll scream for any brick.

Winks changed the pace of the game for us. Not sure why Dele was told to play so deep hes not a deep midfielder, he should play off the strikers and a lot further forward.
Lack of options? Eriksen hasn't been great in that role and got a goal and an assist roaming from a wider position.

Thought Alli did well enough in that role. He's clearly capable of playing there. We need that creativity in central midfield and when Winks isn't available...

Personally I hate the jumping in unison thing, and I hate the continuous noise from the likes of Dortmund

I loathe chanting also. But I'm weird like that. The Chelsae type chants of just repeating the club name is banal. The fans who actually get together to think up chants is concerning.
'Come on you Spurs' repeated a couple of times is quite sufficient, thank you.

Last edited:
I was sitting right below it. :) 2,000 off full capacity. I didn't see m/any free seats.

I was in 451 in the South Stand - had one bloke to my left and then an empty seat. To my right, two empty seats. Everywhere else seemed to be full. Perhaps I need to try a new deodorant.

I'm inclined to agree.
Really wanted to keep it to myself as don't want to tinkle on the buzz people had last night. And don't get me wrong, it was great to be home and the place is incredible as a state-of-the-art stadium.

HOWEVER, there were long periods where the atmosphere was shocking. First ten mins were great, people going through the repertoire, but after that, there was just no originality about the place. Nothing unique. It seemed a struggle to get things going on a night where the atmosphere should've just taken care of itself.
I put a lengthy post out earlier in the week about having one chance to get the atmosphere right, and I feel those fears are all too apparent.

The "White Wall" as people are calling it was poor. Sure, when they were in unison it was loud, but it bloody should be when 17k sing together.
But where was the jumping in unison? Making the stand rock? Creating a visual spectacle for Sky to pick up on and other fans to be in awe of.
I was hoping for a PAOK or Dortmund-esque style stand. Instead, it just felt like an expansion of Park Lane. I love Park Lane and will always sit there if poss, but when you've publicised and preached so much about this great new single-tier stand, it needs a serious rethink from the fans who'll be there regularly.
There are many members who missed out and would give a right nut to have been there singing their hearts out last night. I didn't expect to hear people shouting "sing up Tottenham" to the South Stand.

Even the goal celebrations seemed somewhat damp and hollow.

It was nice however to hear "Can't Smile Without You" ring out as the opening tune pre-kick-off. But again, it didn't quite seem to catch on amongst the fans and just died off as soon as kick off abruptly came. Hopefully that will sort itself out, as I think that'd be great to hear carry on once the music stops.

I’m guessing you’re a glass half empty type? :D

Sounded rocking from where I was for large parts of the game. To be fair, I found the whole evening a bit surreal. I’m sure lots were like me - staring around in awe with mouth agape. I’d imagine next Tuesday will see the atmosphere ramped up.

I’m guessing you’re a glass half empty type? :D

Sounded rocking from where I was for large parts of the game. To be fair, I found the whole evening a bit surreal. I’m sure lots were like me - staring around in awe with mouth agape. I’d imagine next Tuesday will see the atmosphere ramped up.

Yeah, admittedly I kinda am.

But should stress that I'm trying not to let a little disappointment with the South Stand crowd in general overrule my feelings about the night. The place is incredible. State-of-the-art in almost every way. Food served with a smile. Stewards helpful and greeting us with a "Welcome home". Jesus even the Maccy D's on the High Road had blue and white balloon arches in the window!!
Prices were very reasonable and once pitch side, like you said I found myself looking around in awe at the place.

But what trumped it all was how close I felt to the action again at long last. I was very much an upper tier supporter at Wembley. Largely price driven. But I found the perspective was poor when lower down at Wembley. Not so at NWHL. The angles are great for viewing and had no problems seeing action down at Paxton end. Really felt part of the game again.

Lol, no you're all good. Wasn't inferring it directly at all. There genuinely are some that prefer not to sing yet are fully immersed in the game still. I imagine a lot of the perhaps older generation are more this end of the scale for instance.
And don't get me wrong, there are many a tune I abstain from either cos I have the hump with a certain player, or more likely, because I don't want to vocalise those particular profanities about Sol Campbell in front of my daughter!

But yes, everyone does need to play their part to make it intimidating. It's when this doesn't happen n that I think new ways to support the team are potentially needed. A change is as good as a rest and all that.

I'm old (ish). I sing (those in close proximity may dispute the use of the term). What I can't be doing with is all this stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up ad inf. It's a lot like when I got to the end of my football playing career. Ball over the top. Run after it. Ball over the top. Run after it. Ball over the top...feign injury...call for a chair..

I'm old (ish). I sing (those in close proximity may dispute the use of the term). What I can't be doing with is all this stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up ad inf. It's a lot like when I got to the end of my football playing career. Ball over the top. Run after it. Ball over the top. Run after it. Ball over the top...feign injury...call for a chair..

It's going to be tricky in the new place. I imagine the majority will want to stand. The railings in some of the blocks will add to that sense of obligation. We had railings in front last night and it was nice to be able to use them to vent frustration, grip onto during tense moments and act as a barrier to the row in front.
However there was an elderly gentleman in row behind me a couple of seats along, who clearly was unable to stand for the duration. He tried his best bless him, but when he sat I felt for the guy, as his view was clearly obstructed. I tried to sit for a bit to help out, but with my view then impaired and all those around me still stood up, it wasn't long until I was back on my feet.

Can't see how the club can get round it tbh. In my mind, when I'm stood I'm more active and probably more likely to sing, encourage and create an atmosphere.

Its a great stadium and like everything else in life it will take time to obtain the atmosphere, everything is new and a little awe inspiring at the moment.

Back