• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester United ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had time to reflect on this.

Phew.

Mourinho, when speaking about his Porto team, said winning at Old Trafford in the CL was the 'click' the team needed to go on to win the competition - it was something that made them believe that they could do it. Similarly, winning against United in the opening game in his tenure at Chelsea boss was also a 'click', in his words - a moment to make the players believe that they could win the title that season.

This is his Tottenham 'click'. Forget the City game - we were absolutely battered in that game, and winning 3-1 in an injury-ravaged period was more of a nice bonus than a genuine 'turn the tide' moment. Forget the moments of brilliance after the lockdown - we were chasing 6th, and it all felt a bit too late for a real kick-off.

This game, though, arrives at a perfect, perfect time for us. And this result could not have arrived at a better time. After an indifferent start to the season, we went into one of the most gruelling weeks of our recent history.

And at the conclusion of it, all we're probably thinking is that we should have won the first game as well - because every other game was won.

A win against a Chelsea, a thumping of Maccabi, and then an absolute demolition of Manchester United at Old Trafford, to erase the pain of those conceded penalties, the unfairness of their VAR antics, the narrative around Mourinho being stale and us being behind them.

In a week where we were supposed to come out stumbling to stay alive, gasping for air, Mourinho has come out with us in absolutely mind-blowing, imperious form, having scored 7 and then 6. And think about what is yet to come - Bale getting his second debut, fit after the break. Reguilon getting settled in. Ndombele hopefully getting fit enough to not blow out his arse after 30m. Lo Celso coming back.

This is his 'click' at Spurs. There are holes in the side - most prominently at CB, where we have a genuine need to shore things up. And maybe something can be done about that in the closing moments of the window.

But if ever the players needed a moment to believe in Mourinho's ability to get us over the line, this is it.

Next up, West Ham, in their own moment of elation, having blown a couple of teams away. All of this means nothing if we lose after the break. But I don't think we will - I hope we won't. If I'm right, this is the marker we were waiting for.

Well, well worth waiting for.

F*ck off, United - back into your sodding holes. :p

That post has fired me up so much I just want to shout COBRA KAI NEVER DIES!!....so I will!

Watching the goals back, it’s obvious that United’s defensive coaching is shambolic. The position of defenders, the freedom afforded to Kane and Son, wow....great for us, but there’s a LOT of work needed for United.

When Kane scored, no one seemed to be near him. When Aurier scored, Luke Shaw was in the middle almost as if a centre back, whilst Pogba was the closest to Aurier, she didn’t add much.

Unless United invest in defenders AND improve their coaching, then I don’t even see them finishing top 6 this season.
MOTD2 (whose coverage was a damn sight less Yanited-centred than Sky or R5L) did a nice bit of analysis on that. Kane curved and timed his running to (1) draw the defence right so Sonny had more room, and (2) suddenly appear, unmarked, just outside the box -- Shaw Maguire has to make a decision, runs out to cut off Kane, leaving a gap for Son to run into and score.

That's what happens when you have more than one perceived danger man. It's almost like we've got an old-school CF partnership. It's scary that I'm now worried about Bale disrupting it.

Last edited:
I only saw the MOTD highlights; what quick and crisp passing i saw even before the sending-off...was that our hallmark throughout?

I noticed that in the Maccabi Haifa game; we looked easy to make attacks towards our box, but boy whenever we got on the ball, we moved it very crisply and sharply and perhaps the OT result was a spillover from that?

Is this Jose re-imaging us like some of the best bits of his Real Madrid side? Is this what we can expect going forwards (and is it sustainable, e.g. when teams park the bus, e.g. Saudi Sportswashing Machine)?

I only saw the MOTD highlights; what quick and crisp passing i saw even before the sending-off...was that our hallmark throughout?

I noticed that in the Maccabi Haifa game; we looked easy to make attacks towards our box, but boy whenever we got on the ball, we moved it very crisply and sharply and perhaps the OT result was a spillover from that?

Is this Jose re-imaging us like some of the best bits of his Real Madrid side? Is this what we can expect going forwards (and is it sustainable, e.g. when teams park the bus, e.g. Saudi Sportswashing Machine)?

Kane, Son +1 (Bale, Lamela, Begwijn, Lucas) is a fudging nightmare, especially when they swap positions and/or go deep. Add Aurier and Reguilon overloading the attack, with the passing ability of Lo Celso and Ndombele (especially if you give them space to cover the attackers). Add PEH disrupting in the middle and covering. We will be a nightmare to play against. Big bonus, the bench is good as well.

I think fundamentally we break/transition really well, so it will seem like we are counter attack oriented (which Jose's Madrid was)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine 99 times out of a 100 would have been dead and buried by HT, not worried as much about park the bus teams this time around

We were quite easy to attack in the first 25 minutes/up until the red card. They didn't carve out many clear chances other than the penalty, though they did hit the post and got in and around our box quite easily.

We did create the better chances though (penalty aside). It was good even before the red. But I don't think Mourinho is quite happy with the way we defended.

Kane, Son +1 (Bale, Lamela, Begwijn, Lucas) is a fudging nightmare, especially when they swap positions and/or go deep. Add Aurier and Reguilon overloading the attack, with the passing ability of Lo Celso and Ndombele (especially if you give them space to cover the attackers). Add PEH disrupting in the middle and covering. We will be a nightmare to play against. Big bonus, the bench is good as well.

I think fundamentally we break/transition really well, so it will seem like we are counter attack oriented (which Jose's Madrid was)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine 99 times out of a 100 would have been dead and buried by HT, not worried as much about park the bus teams this time around

Yeah, i forgot about how many chances we created vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine actually..indeed could have been 3 or 4 up at HT

We were quite easy to attack in the first 25 minutes/up until the red card. They didn't carve out many clear chances other than the penalty, though they did hit the post and got in and around our box quite easily.

We did create the better chances though (penalty aside). It was good even before the red. But I don't think Mourinho is quite happy with the way we defended.

The way we defended: is that because PEH/Sissoko/Ndombele were being passed around too easily? Was it because they were sitting off? Or do you think it's because they are not good engagers of the opposition/tacklers like players like Wanyama, Mousa, Sandro, Kante etc?

Agree fully on the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game. We still have to perform consistently in those games before I feel confident that we've turned a corner. Definitely some big positive signs of change though.

The way we defended: is that because PEH/Sissoko/Ndombele were being passed around too easily? Was it because they were sitting off? Or do you think it's because they are not good engagers of the opposition/tacklers like players like Wanyama, Mousa, Sandro, Kante etc?
In my opinion we weren't aggressive enough. Sitting deep is part of our plan for periods of the games, that's fine. But we lacked intensity and aggression, we were reacting to passes after they happened instead of moving cohesively as a unit.

Just to reiterate there were massive positives too, and United have very good attacking players that are difficult to defend well against. Not trying to downplay the result or performance.

In my opinion we weren't aggressive enough. Sitting deep is part of our plan for periods of the games, that's fine. But we lacked intensity and aggression, we were reacting to passes after they happened instead of moving cohesively as a unit.

Just to reiterate there were massive positives too, and United have very good attacking players that are difficult to defend well against. Not trying to downplay the result or performance.

No that's fine, thanks, i'm interested in the defending aspects of our game under Mourinho given that it's his hallmark and I do wonder what would have happened if the game had stayed 11 v 11.
I also know that attack can - at times - be the best form of defence and i'm wondering if the midfield were playing to instruction.
I still wonder what our defensive side of the midfield will be like when PEH is not in the side as that aspect of the team ultimately led to our slow, painful doanfall under Poch imo

No that's fine, thanks, i'm interested in the defending aspects of our game under Mourinho given that it's his hallmark and I do wonder what would have happened if the game had stayed 11 v 11.
I also know that attack can - at times - be the best form of defence and i'm wondering if the midfield were playing to instruction.
I still wonder what our defensive side of the midfield will be like when PEH is not in the side as that aspect of the team ultimately led to our slow, painful doanfall under Poch imo
I think definitely part of it is playing to instructions. Play deeper, deny them space in behind. Just needed a bit more aggression from midfield and a bit more cohesion.

I think it's perfectly understandable. Still bedding in new players, early in the season, after a ridiculous week of games. But there are areas for improvement, as there will be.

If that's out-dated, boring, defensive football - please, serve me that every week!

I think that, outside the great result, the added bonus is that we've apparently reached the point where we can afford to change players without disrupting the flow of our game. Kane (and possibly Son) is the only one who can't be replaced at the moment but yesterday, Aurier looked twice the player who cost us the game at Old Trafford last season. We even managed to have a great game with Sissoko on the pitch!

We'll have worse days but having the ability to carry on playing our game regardless of who's on the pitch could prove very important.

If that's out-dated, boring, defensive football - please, serve me that every week!

I think that, outside the great result, the added bonus is that we've apparently reached the point where we can afford to change players without disrupting the flow of our game. Kane (and possibly Son) is the only one who can't be replaced at the moment but yesterday, Aurier looked twice the player who cost us the game at Old Trafford last season. We even managed to have a great game with Sissoko on the pitch!

We'll have worse days but having the ability to carry on playing our game regardless of who's on the pitch could prove very important.

Believe it was Sissoko -> PEH -> Aurier for goal

We will score double figures against a team this season. There I’ve said it. I really think we will destroy a team. We will play Kane, Son, Bale, and Dele (if he stays) in the same team. We’ve seen Liverpool concede 7 against Villa, goals are at the front this season and we are looking so sharp and dangerous already.

Down under estimate the lack of confidence in the team itself under Poch
the way players heads dropped was just like United
We now have players on that high and it’s worth 10% more on the pitch IMO which is a huge differentiator

We will score double figures against a team this season. There I’ve said it. I really think we will destroy a team. We will play Kane, Son, Bale, and Dele (if he stays) in the same team. We’ve seen Liverpool concede 7 against Villa, goals are at the front this season and we are looking so sharp and dangerous already.

And Villa should really have made in ten...i was tinkled off with some of the finishing in thge last 5 minutes pureky because i wanted to roll out some "i'd 8-2 be a Liverpool fan" jokes this morning :mad:

@paxtonwolf i'm sure you're feeling the same..

And Villa should really have made in ten...i was tinkled off with some of the finishing in thge last 5 minutes pureky because i wanted to roll out some "i'd 8-2 be a Liverpool fan" jokes this morning :mad:

@paxtonwolf i'm sure you're feeling the same..

I was convinced it was going to be an 8-2, and like the day years ago when we were hammered by City, and Arsenal by United. But sadly not the case, if Watkins effort had only gone in instead of coming back off of the bar.

Typically in my Auction Fantasy League, I spent most of my budget on defenders. That was a mistake.

Back