• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Man U

Because they're older and more experienced. Soldado and Paulinho are the only ones that are regular starters. Chadli and Capoue have been injured and given time to get 100 % fit. Vlad wasn't thrown into the team until Rose got injured. Eriksen started every other game until he got injured, but has a lot more experience and speaks English well.

I find these excuses tbh.

Chiriches and Eriksen are his age (or around his age) and got starts here and there so they can get used to the league. Same with all our other signings.

I'm not saying Lamela should be starting every game but i simply do not believe AVBi s handling him correctly and it looks like he's not thinking long term in regards to him. Giving him 10 minutes in games, then the next week nothing, then a start in the wrong position, then weeks of nothing, then dropped does nothing at all. In fact i think what he's done to him in his last 3 games does more harm then good.

If you watch it again, he halted his run to try and create an angle for a cut back from Lennon. Lennon had already made the decision to play the ball across the goal though.

True. Pauline did well to move into space, but Vidic did really well to cover it. It was a good move all round, sometimes it is just really hard to score.

What amazes me each week on Match of the Day is that so many half arsed shots and deflections and duffers fly in, where our goals have to be Goal of the Season contenders to get in the net, which implies we are shooting from too far out and/or when the keeper is not wrong footed etc.

Sorry, I thought he had been booked for the bad tackle on Lennon earlier on when the ref played an advantage. If he HAD been booked then ( as he surely should have been) then he would have been off later. That might have made a difference.

Both Smalling and Evra should have been booked early on for their nasty little fouls. Mike 'Jasper Carrot' Dean had a decent game but let them get away with too many fouls before handing out yellows.

Yea he got the big decisions correct and for the most part was very good, but he really should have Booked 2 or 3 of their players a lot earlier, Evra and vidic Inparticular. Our attacking in the 2nd half would have been a lot more fluent had utd players not been given the breathing space to be able to make so many niggling fouls to break up play without fear of a 2nd yellow.

It was and I thought he would have had a bit more composure than that. He is a composed finisher but the miss yesterday highlighted that he is low on confidence and ultimately how he berated himself after shows the pressure he has.

The build up play was excellent though and his all round game is good

Agreed. In fairness to him, that type of chance coming his way has been as common as a moose in the High Street.

Do you really think either Paulie or Soldado was open and available for a pass ? I don't. They were NOT running into space. Same with when Lennon had his shot saved and retrieved the ball by the byline. Pauline stood BEHIND the defender and didn't create a pass for him so he could only put it across an open goal. Soldado wasn't even in the frame for a simple pull back.

Why do you think we are forced to shoot so often from outside the box? The simple answer is that there is not enough movement from our front men to make themselves available for a pass. This is one of our main failings IMO.

Soldado was absolutely hanging on the defender's shoulder waiting to move, absolutely. Be grateful he didn't move any earlier, might've been offside. As for Paulinho, watch his movement there, it's subtle and he's waiting to see whether Sandro is going to play a short one inside or look for the space. He saw Sandro was advancing for space, checked to his right a couple of steps, defender goes and there we have it. Utd had locked it up. The player you COULD be looking to move in that situation might've been Lennon coming in from the right to add a second run on the back-post…you should watch Soldado closely for even 30 minutes of a game mate, he often makes a very quick initial run but we simply do not pass quickly enough from the midfield, thus he has to then check his run and thus he has to start again. Seriously, check him out, he makes a lot of great early moves only not to be spotted quickly enough IMO...

I find these excuses tbh.

Chiriches and Eriksen are his age (or around his age) and got starts here and there so they can get used to the league. Same with all our other signings.

I'm not saying Lamela should be starting every game but i simply do not believe AVBi s handling him correctly and it looks like he's not thinking long term in regards to him. Giving him 10 minutes in games, then the next week nothing, then a start in the wrong position, then weeks of nothing, then dropped does nothing at all. In fact i think what he's done to him in his last 3 games does more harm then good.

I think at this insane time in our current history, when the manager is getting slaughtered, when the club is getting hammered as being 'a disappointment' and when even some fans have been railing on everything despite our relative position in the top 4 race and performances in the Europa League, i would counter mate that AVB is absolutely thinking long-term and protecting him vigorously. He seems to be trying to see when and where he's ready for what, and rather than subject him to the garish spotlight our club currently finds itself under, and the fickle fans too, he is letting him get comfortable with both British life and the Premier League?

I think it's actually a brave and very long-term approach. Keep him away from the wolves and wait until he's more comfortable with life here and the ugly spotlight is off our club.

IMO...

I think at this insane time in our current history, when the manager is getting slaughtered, when the club is getting hammered as being 'a disappointment' and when even some fans have been railing on everything despite our relative position in the top 4 race and performances in the Europa League, i would counter mate that AVB is absolutely thinking long-term and protecting him vigorously. He seems to be trying to see when and where he's ready for what, and rather than subject him to the garish spotlight our club currently finds itself under, and the fickle fans too, he is letting him get comfortable with both British life and the Premier League?

I think it's actually a brave and very long-term approach. Keep him away from the wolves and wait until he's more comfortable with life here and the ugly spotlight is off our club.

IMO...

Are we talking about Lamela? I think you're right in the main although I would question why he was thrown into the game against City at the Etihad?

If you watch it again, he halted his run to try and create an angle for a cut back from Lennon. Lennon had already made the decision to play the ball across the goal though.

By HALTING his run he didn't create the angle though. He let he defender boss him, not the other way round. Poor play.

IMO...

Then why expose him against City away in an unfamiliar position? he didn't keep him away from the wolves...he exposed him to the wolves and then dropped him.

Then why expose him against City away in an unfamiliar position? he didn't keep him away from the wolves...he exposed him to the wolves and then dropped him.

We will never know, but I suspect he absolutely expected that Lamela would get more space to express himself against City away from home. He did have that chance in the 10th minute, but I do agree that he should've been on the right.

Soldado was absolutely hanging on the defender's shoulder waiting to move, absolutely. Be grateful he didn't move any earlier, might've been offside. As for Paulinho, watch his movement there, it's subtle and he's waiting to see whether Sandro is going to play a short one inside or look for the space. He saw Sandro was advancing for space, checked to his right a couple of steps, defender goes and there we have it. Utd had locked it up. The player you COULD be looking to move in that situation might've been Lennon coming in from the right to add a second run on the back-post…you should watch Soldado closely for even 30 minutes of a game mate, he often makes a very quick initial run but we simply do not pass quickly enough from the midfield, thus he has to then check his run and thus he has to start again. Seriously, check him out, he makes a lot of great early moves only not to be spotted quickly enough IMO...

And therein lies the key. You don't WAIT to move, you move and demand the pass. This is what has been missing. I just don't see the intricacies you do with either Pauli or Soldado there. I agree he makes some runs, but not many and he should make another if the first is unsuccessful.

To evidence this, how many offsides have there been against Soldado this season? Not many. I am not talking about the stupid offsides of Ade or Defoe, who just stand offside, I am talking about incisive breaks and intelligent curved runs in an effort to get in behind the defence.

I agree with you that neither he nor anyone else seems to attack the near post. This too is a glaring weakness as our wingers really only have this option available to them. They will get no joy from high crosses to the far post with our forward line. With 12 games in plus the cup games, you have to wonder about our coaching here.

I am afraid that I just don't see this supposed high quality movement from him at the moment, ( or others to be fair) which is one of the main reasons our midfield and defence have such difficulty making an incisive forward pass and contributes to our poor goal scoring record this season.

We will never know, but I suspect he absolutely expected that Lamela would get more space to express himself against City away from home. He did have that chance in the 10th minute, but I do agree that he should've been on the right.

More space against City away the Saudi Sportswashing Machine home? listen we can overthink everything (ie City will attack so we have more space, City won't sit back, etc etc) but Saudi Sportswashing Machine home is the easier fixture by a landslide (on paper) and Lamela's confidence was at a all time high. I don't buy it one bit but we'll never know.

It was away from home (so less likely to be under pressure from our own fans) and was likely to be a more open game, so there would be more chances for him. It is a position that he has played before too and took up positions there in his previous start, so it is hardly that unfamiliar.

And therein lies the key. You don't WAIT to move, you move and demand the pass. This is what has been missing. I just don't see the intricacies you do with either Pauli or Soldado there. I agree he makes some runs, but not many and he should make another if the first is unsuccessful.

To evidence this, how many offsides have there been against Soldado this season? Not many. I am not talking about the stupid offsides of Ade or Defoe, who just stand offside, I am talking about incisive breaks and intelligent curved runs in an effort to get in behind the defence.

I agree with you that neither he nor anyone else seems to attack the near post. This too is a glaring weakness as our wingers really only have this option available to them. They will get no joy from high crosses to the far post with our forward line. With 12 games in plus the cup games, you have to wonder about our coaching here.

I am afraid that I just don't see this supposed high quality movement from him at the moment, ( or others to be fair) which is one of the main reasons our midfield and defence have such difficulty making an incisive forward pass and contributes to our poor goal scoring record this season.

He has DONE this MANY times but the pass isn't quick enough!!!!!! That he gets back onside is a ****ing miracle mate…

…he needs more quality and speed in this department. The move which saw him and Paulinho link and present him with that fantastic chance on his right boot is exactly what we should be doing more of, and that was a FAST break. He was signed with the thought he'd be playing with Bale. Imagine how many he'd have now with Bale in the side.

Nah don't think so (if so why hasn't AVB did that with the other signings).

Firstly, he has, other than Paulinho and Soldado, they have all been in and out of the team. Secondly, different players adapt at different rates.

AVB has spoken a few times about the need to patient with Lamela and that it is taking him a while to settle in

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...oas-admits-erik-lamela-form-struggles?cc=5739

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/9014025/

I think without strong evidence that contradicts this, we need to take it at face value

It was away from home (so less likely to be under pressure from our own fans) and was likely to be a more open game, so there would be more chances for him. It is a position that he has played before too and took up positions there in his previous start, so it is hardly that unfamiliar.

He hasn't played in that position for a sustained period for around 3 years (and tbh i don't even know when he did ever play that role??).

I don't care what anyone says to me...there's absolutely no way you're more likely to create more chances at City away than Saudi Sportswashing Machine home. I don't care how much you overthink tactics, how much people say 'ah well city attack so there will be space', there is no way in this world that an attacking player will have more chances away to city then at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine period.

I also don't get why he would be 'under pressure from our fans'. Prior to the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game we was in good form AND he just played a blinder so more then likely they would be roaring him on. Nah don't buy it.

Firstly, he has, other than Paulinho and Soldado, they have all been in and out of the team. Secondly, different players adapt at different rates.

AVB has spoken a few times about the need to patient with Lamela and that it is taking him a while to settle in

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...oas-admits-erik-lamela-form-struggles?cc=5739

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/9014025/

I think without strong evidence that contradicts this, we need to take it at face value

i've already answered this but yes i agree... IN AND OUT THE TEAM (all in league games). Lamela hasn't even done that.

He hasn't played in that position for a sustained period for around 3 years (and tbh i don't even know when he did ever play that role??).

I don't care what anyone says to me...there's absolutely no way you're more likely to create more chances at City away than Saudi Sportswashing Machine home. I don't care how much you overthink tactics, how much people say 'ah well city attack so there will be space', there is no way in this world that an attacking player will have more chances away to city then at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine period.

I also don't get why he would be 'under pressure from our fans'. Prior to the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game we was in good form AND he just played a blinder so more then likely they would be roaring him on. Nah don't buy it.

If I was Spurs manager (a horrific thought, granted) I can definitely see circumstances where I might want to keep a player who is highly talented but struggling to adapt to the English game away from our home fans who are very quick to turn on a player and get on their back.

I am not sure how you can say he was in good form prior to Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He had an excellent game against Sheriff but one game hardly constitutes form. Am I missing something?

Back