• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Leicester City ***

Dier is poor on the ball. Toby is much better on the ball, indeed the best of our centre halves in this respect. Personally, I think we need better than both if we want to win trophies, I think both would make decent backup players for us (like Winks).
Toby is better on the ball.
Shame he can’t jump when we get attacked in the air

As does Dier, yet you seem to like him as a player?
Dier is a CB. His first job is defending. He does that well. His passing sing as bad as people think except when he tries high risk passes. Generally it’s to midfielders and at range. So if we concede from them then we will have and several opportunities to stop the attack
The other players are either meant to be creative or all rounders (as in midfielders)

So, you agree with me that ideally we need two new central defenders then?
No
I’m happy with Dier who defends. I’m not anti Toby who has had some very good games lately
We need players who can play with the ball though. CBS aren’t on the pitch for that. So as Iong as they do their defending well I’m fine with that
The pressing issue is where the ball goes to die for us. It’s certain areas of midfield and attacking which then creates a turnaround which means we get deeper and under more pressure

Watching us play Liverpool in midweek and be genuinely impressed with the way that Liverpool played, I couldn’t help wonder what it was that stopped us playing like that?

In Aurier and Regulion we have two full backs ideally suited to playing the way that TAA and Robertson do. In Kane, Son and Bergwijn/Moura/Bale we have forwards suited to playing like Firminho, Mane and Salah and in Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Sissoko, Lamela and Winks we should be able to find three midfield players capable of playing the high energy, fast paced football and pressing that Liverpool’s midfield offer them. With our attacking talent we would frighten teams into not daring attack us (as happens with Liverpool). What is it that is stopping us from playing that effective (and entertaining) way?

Watching us play Liverpool in midweek and be genuinely impressed with the way that Liverpool played, I couldn’t help wonder what it was that stopped us playing like that?

[...] What is it that is stopping us from playing that effective (and entertaining) way?

I'd say it's the lack of pace in centrebacks, and perhaps a tiny bit of lack of cohoñes.

In Aurier and Regulion we have two full backs ideally suited to playing the way that TAA and Robertson do. In Kane, Son and Bergwijn/Moura/Bale we have forwards suited to playing like Firminho, Mane and Salad and in Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Sissoko, Lamela and Winks we should be able to find three midfield players capable of playing the high energy, fast paced football and pressing that Liverpool’s midfield offer them. With our attacking talent we would frighten teams into not daring attack us (as happens with Liverpool). What is it that is stopping us from playing that effective (and entertaining) way?
I agree
But they have midfielders who are happy with the ball. Their forwards hold the ball too
We have too many players who cannot deal with the ball at their feet

What is it that is stopping us from playing that effective (and entertaining) way?

tenor.gif

No
I’m happy with Dier who defends. I’m not anti Toby who has had some very good games lately
We need players who can play with the ball though. CBS aren’t on the pitch for that. So as Iong as they do their defending well I’m fine with that
The pressing issue is where the ball goes to die for us. It’s certain areas of midfield and attacking which then creates a turnaround which means we get deeper and under more pressure
If you think simply putting in a better ball player than Sissoko (which I assume you are getting at?) fixes our paucity of attacking play then I think you are misguided. It is hard for even a big punching heavyweight to knock out his opponent when he is fighting on the back foot. Our line, which is set by our centre halves (I assume at the manager’s orders) has this big punching heavyweight firmly on the back foot. We’ve played rope a dope pretty well so far this season, but I think our opponents are now getting wise to it.

Last edited:
Davidson Sanchez has 84.4% pass completion.... Moussa Sissoko has 85.3%...

Merely proving your last sentence.

Yes, thus also making your comparison of Davies and Dier quite a mute one... :)

They are different players, with different tasks, comparing them by one isolated statistic without factoring in their duties is not going to give any meaningful answer.

You can say a lot about Sissoko, but he ain't no Tom Huddlestone, nor has he ever tried to be. Nor is he a Luka Modric, or a Rafael Van Der Vaart. Yet he is measured by the same stats, and judging by some of them, he should be a contender for the FIFA-awards, team of the year. We know of course that he is nowhere near that.

Stats are only as good as the analysis of them. Stats alone, useless.

Yes, thus also making your comparison of Davies and Dier quite a mute one... :)

They are different players, with different tasks, comparing them by one isolated statistic without factoring in their duties is not going to give any meaningful answer.

You can say a lot about Sissoko, but he ain't no Tom Huddlestone, nor has he ever tried to be. Nor is he a Luka Modric, or a Rafael Van Der Vaart. Yet he is measured by the same stats, and judging by some of them, he should be a contender for the FIFA-awards, team of the year. We know of course that he is nowhere near that.

Stats are only as good as the analysis of them. Stats alone, useless.
What comparison of Davies and Dier? You’ve lost me mate?

I agree, but as much as I hate to say it, I think it would be Toby who is being replaced. Love him to bits, but he is not the future.
If it’s with a pacy player who can get us up the pitch, then great.... I think he’ll also have to be a good passer of the ball as well so that the onus isn’t on Dier.... probably also makes sense for them to be left footed so that Dier can move to the right of the pair and then play the majority of passes with his stronger foot (playing on the left might be making him look worse than he actually is here).

If it’s with a pacy player who can get us up the pitch, then great.... I think he’ll also have to be a good passer of the ball as well so that the onus isn’t on Dier.... probably also makes sense for them to be left footed so that Dier can move to the right of the pair and then play the majority of passes with his stronger foot (playing on the left might be making him look worse than he actually is here).
Or play Rodon who appeared to to have those attributes with Dier

but my issue stands

we would get turned over more and more and be caught out if we have midfielders who can’t hold the ball for us. We have a CM whose sole attribute is his ability to stop the opposition but by default it stops us playing

this still reminds me of last year when you said fixing CM would fix the full backs. We literally have CMs covering the full backs who strangely now don’t attack for fear of being caught out as the midfielder can’t pass the ball to them

Back