• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Ipswich (Friendly)

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He didn't play last year. Development isn't linear, he's a good player, he just needs minutes.

The fascinating thing about this preseason is there are places up for grabs for these youngsters. Playing 4 games a week (!) JM will have to rotate.

Sessengon will be playing. The 18 yo left back could easily play (great sliding tackle at the end), Jack Clark looked competent and in control if a little lightweight. Foyth could play - provided he cuts out that one silly mistake per game.

An exciting time to be a Spurs youngster. Hopefully they can handle the pressure and show they can deliver at a higher level.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

confidence
This is his Achilles heel without a doubt

I know it sounds stupid but we need to setup so he gets some quick passes down the wing. He’s always ready to go but needs to give it and receive the ball back while running along the wing - that is his thing. He can then take the ball to around the box and pick a pass or score. But he’s not going to dribble past fullbacks by himself.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Found it marginally interesting to watch Foyth yesterday. Been a lot of reporting back and forth about him being likely to leave, wanting to fight for his place, being on the move etc.

Didn't heve much defending to do, but the little he had to deal with he dealt with. On the ball he looked a lot more carful and conservative. Interesting if that his him adapting to what Mourinho wants, might still be a chance for him at the club.

Then he was subbed at half time. Unless there is a fitness or injury issue that seems more like he's on the way out.

Obviously trying to read a lot into very limited information...
His pass to Sonny for the 3rd goal was absolutely magnificent!

Takes two to tango.

I remember Bale was making a lot of low drives across goal, those early, but searching ones waiting for someone to connect, and but seldom if anyone did. The system wasn't set up right or the players didn't want to play that kind of game. So it was looked like poor crosses but the kind that would find the bet if a quick grafter like Vardy was there.
He certainly would got a lot of space down the right to exploit. However, I think some people forget how inconsistent his delivery got in the last couple of seasons from his 2016-2017 peak. It really wasn’t any better than Serge’s levels last season IMO and if it had been people would have been able to overlook his brain farts.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

My view, obviously keeping opponent level in mind

- We showed we can still play possession, and we can press

- We passed hard, a lot harder/crisper passing than I've seen in a while

- Ipswich really didn't have a sniff for 90 mins

- At the end, the only senior players on pitch were Toby and Gazza, and we still played much the same.

Now to impressions

- Toby's big passing was back

- Son was good, should have had a hattrick

- PEH played higher than expected (was in front of Winks most times), what was interesting was the amount of talking/instructions he gave plus how advanced he played at times (could have had goal as well)

- Decent game from Gedson (still a work in progress, but promise)

- Impressed from the younger players by Cirkin and Clarke, could definitely see them getting game time.

- The only downside was outside of Son and Kane, we really need another striker option

Decent day at office ..

Spot on with this, only thing to add was how dissapointing was Sessegnon, so want to him to push on but I was more impressed with 16/17 yr old kids making their debuts! They looked far more composed!

Spot on with this, only thing to add was how dissapointing was Sessegnon, so want to him to push on but I was more impressed with 16/17 yr old kids making their debuts! They looked far more composed!

Sessegnon for me had two issues

- Lack of confidence is still there, he needs to be agressive, take people on, that's what makes him an asset (I agree, Clarke and a few of the youngsters were braver)
- He is unfit .. I thought it was noticeable that he really struggled to make the full 90.

I agree with @SpurMeUp, spots are up for grabs .. we will likely heavily rotate for first 6 weeks or so, those that don't earn a spot early will get loaned/sold (window is open for a while)

I thought it was surprising Scarlett got some time, I've never seen him before, they must think he's got something as he's only 16.

I thought it was surprising Scarlett got some time, I've never seen him before, they must think he's got something as he's only 16.

I was surprised at the sheer number of kids on at the same time .. (had a good laugh at the Toby minding the pre-schoolers)

But also was quite good that the level of the game didn't drop that much (Scarlett for me would have scored, but got fouled on the run in)

Sessegnon for me had two issues

- Lack of confidence is still there, he needs to be agressive, take people on, that's what makes him an asset (I agree, Clarke and a few of the youngsters were braver)
- He is unfit .. I thought it was noticeable that he really struggled to make the full 90.

I agree with @SpurMeUp, spots are up for grabs .. we will likely heavily rotate for first 6 weeks or so, those that don't earn a spot early will get loaned/sold (window is open for a while)

I agree with SpurMeUp above, in that I don’t think taking people on has ever actually been one of his particular assets / skills. I say that based on a) the few times I've seen him play (incl. for Fulham and England U21s), b) what I've heard and read from Fulham fans, c) the snippet below from an Athletic article about him, d) YouTube vidoes of all of his goals at Fulham, and e) the fact that in his most successful season at Fulham he only averaged 1.2 dribbles per 90 (compared to last season's 1.5 for Alli, 2.2 for Lamela, 2.3 for Son, and 2.9 for Moura).

upload_2020-8-24_14-33-6.png

I don' think it's necessarily a confidence issue, I just don't think taking people on is a particular strength of his.

Sessegnon

That's not very fair. Hojbjerg is a fit lad who plays most games in the Prem and he was walking around at 60 mins, unable to sprint, and taken off.

Back