• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton FA Cup

Mate, lets be really honest, yesterday's game highlighted why Jose has been leaning to the defensive play even against poorer teams, and a fair amount of people will happily declare Jose a failure this season even if we win "just" the league cup and get top 4. People made up their mind before he arrived, similar to when Harry was here, regardless of whatever he achieved a certain percentage of people just hated him.

Fit Reguilon and Aurier, PEH doesn't have a mare and you play Lamela/Gio instead of Winks/Sissoko alongside Ndombele and we win most games .. problem is we haven't had those players available together very much.

I don't think yesterday's game should lead to Jose, or anyone else, thinking the solution is to play more defensively though. IMO we created the better chances - Everton only won because a) they were more clinical, and b) they got a very soft penalty (and we didn't get one for the handball). If our overall approach and performance from yesterday continued for the rest of the season, I think we'd be getting better results than we have done in the first half of the season (as we're normally very clinical overall, thanks to Kane and Son).

And speaking as someone who's been very vocally anti-Mourinho recently, and who's always hated him as a character, I'd personally say that winning the League Cup and finishing top 4 would be a hugely successful season (at least in terms of results, not necessarily entertainment).

Last edited:
I don't think yesterday's game should lead to Jose, or anyone else, thinking the solution is to play more defensively though. IMO we created the better chances - Everton only won because a) they were more clinical, and b) they got a very soft pelanty (and we didn't get one for the handball). If our overall approach and performance from yesterday continued for the rest of the season, I think we'd be getting better results than we have done in the first half of the season (as we're normally very clinical overall, thanks to Kane and Son).

And speaking as someone who's been very vocally anti-Mourinho recently, and who's always hated him as a character, I'd personally say that winning the League Cup and finishing top 4 would be a hugely successful season (at least in terms of results, not necessary entertainment).
He said himself after the game when asked could he play differently “we could play more defensive and still lose 1 nil due to a mistake”,

I'm least concerned by the 5th goal, that was a hell of a pass from Siggy, he's a great player.

In the frame above VAR still probably calls Bernard onside due to Sanchez, and definitely due to Davies.
In the buildup to the goals I'm least concerned by the first one. Hojbjerg gives the ball away because we're taking a risk playing trough pressure from the back. I'm happy with that and accept that we will sometimes concede because of it. I hope we don't revert to just getting rid. Lloris not saving the shot is a concern though.

Another concern is the buildup to the second. Sanches gets two chances to clear the ball with his head. In a duel with Richarlison for the first, under a bit of pressure from Calvert-Lewin for the second. Both times he makes a mess of it and we're immediately in danger from what was just a lofted hopeful ball. This keeps happening and there's no risk with an upside. Just poor defending.

Agree pretty much on the fifth. There should be more and better pressure on Sigurdsson, but these things happen with tired legs. Great play from Sigurdsson and a very good finish.

In the buildup to the goals I'm least concerned by the first one. Hojbjerg gives the ball away because we're taking a risk playing trough pressure from the back. I'm happy with that and accept that we will sometimes concede because of it. I hope we don't revert to just getting rid. Lloris not saving the shot is a concern though.

Another concern is the buildup to the second. Sanches gets two chances to clear the ball with his head. In a duel with Richarlison for the first, under a bit of pressure from Calvert-Lewin for the second. Both times he makes a mess of it and we're immediately in danger from what was just a lofted hopeful ball. This keeps happening and there's no risk with an upside. Just poor defending.

Agree pretty much on the fifth. There should be more and better pressure on Sigurdsson, but these things happen with tired legs. Great play from Sigurdsson and a very good finish.
I thought that too for the second
Sanchez heads it up in the air twice

Defending is football too, if everyone just attacked all of the time football would turn into basketball with scores to match. There has to be balance, the game needs both, else it will be boring.

Yes, obviously. But the way we've been setting up under Mourinho we're overly negative, seem to lack any offensive plan/strategy, and the team overall just lacks identity, despite having a host of great players.

Mate, lets be really honest, yesterday's game highlighted why Jose has been leaning to the defensive play even against poorer teams, and a fair amount of people will happily declare Jose a failure this season even if we win "just" the league cup and get top 4. People made up their mind before he arrived, similar to when Harry was here, regardless of whatever he achieved a certain percentage of people just hated him.

Fit Reguilon and Aurier, PEH doesn't have a mare and you play Lamela/Gio instead of Winks/Sissoko alongside Ndombele and we win most games .. problem is we haven't had those players available together very much.
Please explain how last night suggests MORE meaning to a defensive game? Our defense is our weakest area, and unless we protect it by playing five in midfield or something, why attract more pressure on the weakest link?

We were poor defensively but yesterday was one of those nights. Richarlison and Bernard won't finish many chances in a similar fashion and Hugo hopefully won't be as bad as that again.

Please explain how last night suggests MORE meaning to a defensive game? Our defense is our weakest area, and unless we protect it by playing five in midfield or something, why attract more pressure on the weakest link?

The suggestion was simply that Jose watches this back line in training and is clearly aware that if you even put average pressure on them, they individually fudge up (you can build systems to counter weaknesses like lack of pace, or not good in the air, good luck trying to compensate for random brainfart/fudgeups).

Hence when he is guilty of being too negative with the entire team, maybe, just maybe he knows what the risk is with this particular back line.

If only Pochettino could’ve persuaded the transfer committee to be brave and keep hold of Sigurdsson...

And lost Sanchez for the first goal.

I don't think Siggy had a particularly great game, he won them the game with final pass but I can't say I felt he was outstanding.

Wouldn't be a starter for us, so glad it's worked out for him ..

And lost Sanchez for the first goal.

I don't think Siggy had a particularly great game, he won them the game with final pass but I can't say I felt he was outstanding.

Wouldn't be a starter for us, so glad it's worked out for him ..
Their best player was Godfrey
I remember when we were linked with him and it was £40m... and I thought he was average
I have to say every time I’ve seen him play he has been brilliant this season

Their best player was Godfrey
I remember when we were linked with him and it was £40m... and I thought he was average
I have to say every time I’ve seen him play he has been brilliant this season

Yeah, agree about Godfrey, looked ok at Norwich but seems to have improved loads at Everton now. Must be in with a shout of making the Euros squad

Back