• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton FA Cup

The point is to enjoy a match of football once or twice a week. I'd love us to win a trophy, but not at all costs. I've been saying this all along. I'd much rather enjoy one or two matches of football a week rather than hate watching football for a year and celebrate winning a trophy one night in May. I don't see the point of that. The journey is also the point in following football for me. It's not all about trophies. Anyone who'll have me believe that, I'm just going to disagree with. If you win a trophy for having played blistering football, fine! Love it. But win a trophy by sitting back and being a negative boring team to watch - fudge that. Gives me very very little, personally. I think people put too much emphasis on trophies.

I wish I believed all the people who have agreed with your post.

If we played like we did last night every game (and I think most days we would win) and ended up 6th in the league with no cups, 90% of people would call for firing the manger, Levy out, all the usual flimflam.

The issue is we are good enough to compete for most things, just not good enough to win it, and we need to manage margins, being more pragmatic, tactics, etc. to push on, some of that isn't pretty.

We need success to help us push on, win a couple of trophies and it puts a differentiator between us and the "others" helps attract better players, success breeds success, failure breeds failure .. that's life. The EPL is the worst version of commercialized, win/survive at all cost football, no one is playing the football you are describing without a billion+ in investment, you could argue Leeds but they will end up midtable and if they try that again next year they will get relegated.

Defending is football too, if everyone just attacked all of the time football would turn into basketball with scores to match. There has to be balance, the game needs both, else it will be boring.

Its many things "boring" is not one of them.

Defending is part of the game but not ALL the game.

I wish I believed all the people who have agreed with your post.

If we played like we did last night every game (and I think most days we would win) and ended up 6th in the league with no cups, 90% of people would call for firing the manger, Levy out, all the usual flimflam.

The issue is we are good enough to compete for most things, just not good enough to win it, and we need to manage margins, being more pragmatic, tactics, etc. to push on, some of that isn't pretty.

We need success to help us push on, win a couple of trophies and it puts a differentiator between us and the "others" helps attract better players, success breeds success, failure breeds failure .. that's life. The EPL is the worst version of commercialized, win/survive at all cost football, no one is playing the football you are describing without a billion+ in investment, you could argue Leeds but they will end up midtable and if they try that again next year they will get relegated.
Problem is that we've failed to properly execute the defensive, sit back and counter strategy.

If we were getting the required results with that approach I would be for sticking with it, and over time improving our attacking play.

As things have been though that's been leading down an increasingly frustrating path, seemingly bound for the same 90% wanting Mourinho gone sooner or later.

I'm happy that we're doing things differently now. Ndombele in centrally for Sissoko, more risk on the ball, more spells of higher pressure, less low block defending. It might very well not get us the results we want, but right now it seems to me more likely to get them.

City game is a different story though, would be perfectly fine with us parking the bus.

Problem is that we've failed to properly execute the defensive, sit back and counter strategy.

If we were getting the required results with that approach I would be for sticking with it, and over time improving our attacking play.

As things have been though that's been leading down an increasingly frustrating path, seemingly bound for the same 90% wanting Mourinho gone sooner or later.

I'm happy that we're doing things differently now. Ndombele in centrally for Sissoko, more risk on the ball, more spells of higher pressure, less low block defending. It might very well not get us the results we want, but right now it seems to me more likely to get them.

City game is a different story though, would be perfectly fine with us parking the bus.

Mate, lets be really honest, yesterday's game highlighted why Jose has been leaning to the defensive play even against poorer teams, and a fair amount of people will happily declare Jose a failure this season even if we win "just" the league cup and get top 4. People made up their mind before he arrived, similar to when Harry was here, regardless of whatever he achieved a certain percentage of people just hated him.

Fit Reguilon and Aurier, PEH doesn't have a mare and you play Lamela/Gio instead of Winks/Sissoko alongside Ndombele and we win most games .. problem is we haven't had those players available together very much.

Mate, lets be really honest, yesterday's game highlighted why Jose has been leaning to the defensive play even against poorer teams, and a fair amount of people will happily declare Jose a failure this season even if we win "just" the league cup and get top 4. People made up their mind before he arrived, similar to when Harry was here, regardless of whatever he achieved a certain percentage of people just hated him.

Fit Reguilon and Aurier, PEH doesn't have a mare and you play Lamela/Gio instead of Winks/Sissoko alongside Ndombele and we win most games .. problem is we haven't had those players available together very much.
What’s scary is Aurier has shown that players can improve of they don’t do stupid things. He has made one BIG error abs it was very dumb but he has been right up there thsi season with the best right backs
I don’t think Reggie has made a mistake that’s lead to a goal yet either
But the CBS.... woeful. Not one of them seems to want to take charge on the pitch

Who Doherty?
Watch it from the original pass he is playing the man he is marking off. The issue is that Bernard ran through from midfield so now he is onside and no one has tracked him
The one that was super poor was Richarlsons too
Toby has to control the line but he can’t be off at Tanguy is on the floor
Sanchez can’t see that but Toby is look at it
I know people will defend him and I’m in the extreme but the guy has simply not got any redeeming features anymore like most of our CBS
We were playing the offside trap except Doherty wasn't in line with everyone else. If he had been, Bernard would have been offside and the goal ruled out. That's a mistake on Doherty's part.

I agree with your general sentiment about Doherty he hasn't been quite as bad as many are making out but he was poor here.

I agree with all of that.

I just think right now, in most games, we're more likely to get results by gambling on us not making as many severe defensive errors at the back when exposed.

I'm least concerned by the 5th goal, that was a hell of a pass from Siggy, he's a great player.

In the frame above VAR still probably calls Bernard onside due to Sanchez, and definitely due to Davies.

We were playing the offside trap except Doherty wasn't in line with everyone else. If he had been, Bernard would have been offside and the goal ruled out. That's a mistake on Doherty's part.

I agree with your general sentiment about Doherty he hasn't been quite as bad as many are making out but he was poor here.

Doherty IMO was looking at the man behind him who was his man
Issue was as Sonja a Bernard walzed past everyone else he becomes his
It’s where the rule IMO is my favourite buttplug

Yeah, if an attacker can be deemed to not be interfering with play why can't a defender?

We could call offside every time due to Hugo's inaction alone :D

It's a stupid stupid rule that is only there to pad the goals scoring numbers.

Yeah, if an attacker can be deemed to not be interfering with play why can't a defender?

We could call offside every time due to Hugo's inaction alone :D

It's a stupid stupid rule that is only there to pad the goals scoring numbers.
It’s is
But as I say there a Doherty can’t really win
We saw Richarlson score earlier by starting offside, coming on briefly and burying it

I hear you that he was thinking about the player behind him but that guy was even further offside so he should really be paying attention to the line that he was part of and falling behind. Our line is usually set by the CBs and the FBs should not be behind that playing Bernard onside.

It's moot now, there were loads of errors in the lead up to all of their goals but ultimately for that goal Doherty has the main culpability imo.

It’s is
But as I say there a Doherty can’t really win
We saw Richarlson score earlier by starting offside, coming on briefly and burying it

Doherty is not the only problem there, he's in line with two of our other defenders.

You can't give a player with Siggy's ability that much space and time on the ball.

I hear you that he was thinking about the player behind him but that guy was even further offside so he should really be paying attention to the line that he was part of and falling behind. Our line is usually set by the CBs and the FBs should not be behind that playing Bernard onside.

It's moot now, there were loads of errors in the lead up to all of their goals but ultimately for that goal Doherty has the main culpability imo.
Yeah I get that
But as highlighted by someone else’s there was 3 players keeping him onside, not just Doherty

Yeah I get that
But as highlighted by someone else’s there was 3 players keeping him onside, not just Doherty
You're right actually I wasn't taking into account the angle of the camera. Siggy should have been pressured before he played the pass.

You're right actually I wasn't taking into account the angle of the camera. Siggy should have been pressured before he played the pass.
He was
Well kinda
It was more a stand in front of him and say boo
Toby raced out and stopped in front of him
Dele ran around him and stopped
It was a great pass from siggy

Mourinho can't coach these defensive players and these players are going nowhere in the short term.
So let's stop attacking and put as many as possible behind the ball?

Back