• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Vs CHAVSKI

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't class inside right forward as being a box to box midfielder. I can see sense in playing him there today.

I am not offering an opinion on where I would play Dier and Winks. I am saying where they have played when paired under Mourinho. There are loads of independent sources where you can look at their positioning, if you want to check.

Good. I am glad we now agree on Sissoko’s role.

Just because Winks comes back deep to receive the ball from the back four doesn’t ipso facto make him a DM. I agree neither Dier nor Sissoko are good at this part of the game and why it is best for Winks ( in the prolonged absence of NDombele and possibly LoCelso ) to perform this role. However Dier is the only natural DM we have at present .

I didn’t see Olympikos. Did see see West Ham. Actually that was as good as we have looked in midfield for a while... but West Ham were truly awful

I'd agree with that. I think that he'll want to upgrade on both of them as first choice players. The point is that he will want a player at the base of midfield who can play on the turn and with good distribution.

Just because Winks comes back deep to receive the ball from the back four doesn’t ipso facto make him a DM. I agree neither Dier nor Sissoko are good at this part of the game and why it is best for Winks ( in the prolonged absence of NDombele and possibly LoCelso ) to perform this role. However Dier is the only natural DM we have at present .

I haven't used the term DM because I don't think that it is particularly helpful when discussing how we are set up under Mourinho. @DubaiSpur did a good couple of posts on how Mourinho has set up his midfield at previous clubs on p.31 of the Wolves OMT.

I haven't used the term DM because I don't think that it is particularly helpful when discussing how we are set up under Mourinho. @DubaiSpur did a good couple of posts on how Mourinho has set up his midfield at previous clubs on p.31 of the Wolves OMT.

I agree with virtually everything @DubaiSpur said there regarding Dier and Winks. It mirrors my own views exactly. Both are mono skill set players. Dier the destroyer and Winks the passer. That is what I have been saying even if you don’t like the term DM. I also agree with @DubaiSpur that as neither of them are multi skilled enough, both are likely to be replaced long term. In the meantime, Winks will play the Fabrigas role and Dier the screening Matic role with whom JM won the PL with Chelsea.

I agree with virtually everything @DubaiSpur said there regarding Dier and Winks. It mirrors my own views exactly. Both are mono skill set players. Dier the destroyer and Winks the passer. That is what I have been saying even if you don’t like the term DM. I also agree with @DubaiSpur that as neither of them are multi skilled enough, both are likely to be replaced long term. In the meantime, Winks will play the Fabrigas role and Dier the screening Matic role with whom JM won the PL with Chelsea.

It's not that I dislike the term DM, I just don't think that it is helpful when discussing positioning because people often assume that the DM is the deepest placed player but that often isn't the case in Mourinho teams. If you agree that Winks/Dier is a weaker version of Fabregas/Matic then you are agreeing that Winks is normally the deepest placed with Dier breaking things up in front of him. Where this started, was me saying that having both Dier and Sissoko breaking in front of Winks felt a little unbalanced to me. I can see sense in playing Sissoko at RWF, od the other two started.

This will be the biggest test for Mourinho since joining us. This is not only a London derby against Chelsea but they are also our closest rival for 4th place now. And with Chelsea being Mourinho's former club, can see this being another tense match. We can go above Chelsea into 4th place if we beat them in this match. But Chelsea won't let us win easily. In fact, we might have to score 3 or more goals to win as can see Chelsea scoring as well. We have lost our last 2 matches against Chelsea. Let's hope we will make use of our home advantage to beat them in this match.

Our attack will be key to us winning this match. I think we will need at least 3 goals to win this match. All our attacking players like Kane, Son, Alli and Moura will have to make use of any goal scoring chances we get. Want to see us trying long range shots to score instead of trying to dribble into goal. We also need to try to score from freekicks as well. After all, it has been a long time since we score direct from freekicks. Too bad Lamela is still out injured. This is the sort of big games Lamela enjoy playing in. Eriksen did well to assist or winning goal against Wolves. Hope he can inspire us again in this match.

I think this match will be won or lost in midfield. We simply have to control the midfield if we want to win this match. Wish we can play Sissoko and Ndombele in midfield in this match. Don't want to see error-prone Dier or WInks start this match. Ndombele still has not shown us why we paid huge money to sign him. Hope he can be fully fit to start performing for us.

Our defence really need to improve their defending. Can see us being under pressure from start to finish. Great to see Alderweireld signing a new contract with us. Hope this will help him get back to his best form. He used to be regarded as one of the best defender in the world before his contract issue came up. We really need to play Alderweireld and Vertonghen in defence in this match. Sanchez makes too many mistakes and that will be risky against Chelsea. Gazzaniga needs to be at his best form to stop Chelsea as well. Really can't see us keeping the clean sheet but it will be great if we can do it.

This is going to be another tense match. Chelsea will be fired up to upset their former manager Mourinho. Mourinho will need to make use of his experience to help us win this match. Let's hope we will turn up with the right team and mentality to beat Chelsea and move into 4th place.

Everybody dance now!

Wish all our players are fully fit for this match, especially Lloris and Lamela. This is going to be a tense match from start to end. We need to get an early goal to help us settle down and then go for more goals to kill the game off. Let's hope we will put up a good performance and get a convincing win to move above Chelsea into 4th place.

Key here is Alonso. If he gets at Aurier too much, Sissoko will have to cover and leave space for Kovacic and Kante

We have a pretty big defensive 5 - Toby, Sanchez, Verts, Dier and Sissoko! WIth more nimble Aurier, Lucas, Son, Dele and a larger target upfront in Kane. If Mourinho can get them playing well, on paper, its a decent team.

Can Dier start to look forward more, be a bit more nimble, maybe turn with the ball? Look forward to this one.

We have a pretty big defensive 5 - Toby, Sanchez, Verts, Dier and Sissoko! WIth more nimble Aurier, Lucas, Son, Dele and a larger target upfront in Kane. If Mourinho can get them playing well, on paper, its a decent team.

Can Dier start to look forward more, be a bit more nimble, maybe turn with the ball? Look forward to this one.

I don't think that it is a decent side. Aurier, Sissoko and Dier are all short of the required quality in the positions that they are playing. We look good for 4th but a long way off the top two.

I don't think that it is a decent side. Aurier, Sissoko and Dier are all short of the required quality in the positions that they are playing. We look good for 4th but a long way off the top two.
It's a good side 4 years ago.
And agree with the players you have highlighted that need an upgrade (still Hopeful on Dier - but I'm not sure I'm being objective).
Ndombele should be able to upgrade Sissoko - hopefully he does and isn't a dud.

I'd add Moura. He's a very good squad player. I'm not convinced by him regularly starting.
He has always been a rotation player at previous clubs - so maybe he can be more consistent. But it's not a given for me.

Back