• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham***

Arch rivals? We're their big brother, I'm quite fond of them, that a club of that size can continue to stay relevant is mightily impressive.

They have been a very useful feeder club for us over the years as well, a lot of players made their start there before moving to bigger and better things with us.
In the 69 completed seasons since the end of the second World War, Spurs have finished above West Ham on 57 occasions. Rivalry!

In the last 10 years alone we have qualified for Europe more times than West Ham have in their history (7 times.... those 7 qualifications include one via the Inter-two-bob Cup and one via the "fair play league") RIVALRY!

In their entire history West Ham have NEVER qualified for Europe via their finishing league position (although they did finish 3rd once during the English club's ban and also got an inter-two-bob qualification once under Harry). ARCH RIVALRY!

After their exploits this season in scraping through against FC Pig Farmer of Andorra before going out to Sporting Tiddly Winks of Romania we surely can't want them to get anywhere near ruining England's coefficient ever again?
Or you could just point and laugh at them if that happens.

Or you could just point and laugh at them if that happens.
The last thing we need is them rapidly turning our 4 CL qualification places into 3!

It might be funny to laugh at them every 20 years or so when they make a brief appearance in the qualifying rounds, but the rest of us then have to suffer the consequences of less European places for the next umpteen years.

Its taken me since the game to get over the game, mainly because I live in West Ham country so I have avoided social media and papers.

Soft goal to concede and Kane should have scored, thats ultimately my summary ha

What other big chances did they have?.... Kane probably had the best two of the match (the rebound from Toby's shot and when he just failed to convert the cross from (I think) Eriksen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing that West Ham deserved the win overall. They won more of the ball in the first half and defended well in the second, but despite that it was still a game decided on a single set piece, with very few other chances.

Sometimes it only takes one chance to win a game I think we are in agreement about them deserving to win though. The facts to me are is that they wanted more then us and we did not perform at our best, it happens to young teams and we will improve because of it.

I watched the game with a West Ham fan. His view was that had they not got that early goal, the game would have ended 0-0.

Edit : just read that back and it is a bit stating the obvious! The intent being to agree with @Finney Is Back in that for all they were the better team overall, they didn't create many clear cut chances either.

agree with this

I was impressed with WH for the first 20mins. After that it was a scrappy affair, we shaded the second half.

Sometimes it only takes one chance to win a game I think we are in agreement about them deserving to win though. The facts to me are is that they wanted more then us and we did not perform at our best, it happens to young teams and we will improve because of it.

Bottom line is WH have improved markedly this season under Bilic, they are now made of sterner stuff!

Its taken me since the game to get over the game, mainly because I live in West Ham country so I have avoided social media and papers.

Soft goal to concede and Kane should have scored, thats ultimately my summary ha

i live in Bedford and the amount if spammers here is unreal for a team that hasn't achieved anything

I agree, he has done a very good job.

He is a good coach and manager and gets the club

I told a few spammers when they appointed him he would be a great fit

He had the Turkish side we played in Europa playing really well and he learned a lot at Croatia

I don't think that they necessarily "wanted it more", I would be surprised (and indeed devastated) if that was the case. I just think that Bilic got his tactics spot on and won the battle between the two managers. We could've exposed this without even changing our system, but were not brave/skilled/experienced enough to play through their press. Bilic's system kept our fullbacks largely pinned back with anything we did go forward with then being funnelled into their central defensive three. They pressed Lloris so that his kicking was poor and they pressed our two centre halves and Dier to make it difficult for us to build from the back. Of course the boggy pitch didn't help in terms of us being able to play it through the press, but even had it been a good pitch, without Dembele and Alli we lacked the players with the confidence, strength and skill to demand the ball in central areas and be able to keep it. Had we got through that initial press we would've seen our attacking midfield three and Kane up against only the three West Ham central defenders, but we didn't exploit this at all in the first half. I thought that Mason got involved in a battle instead of trying to ensure that we played our football. All it needed was for one of our central midfielders to be able to draw a foul and booking from Noble and/or Obiang and the whole dynamic would've changed.

Knowing that West Ham couldn't keep up that level of pressing for the entire game in the second half, Bilic then instead sat them back into a very well organised defensive position. I thought the problem for us was that as the game wore on we didn't have the right creative players to take advantage of their defensive tactics - I would've liked to have seen Lamela still on the pitch and Chadli entering the fray in the last third of the game when pressure builds, space opens up and we have more and more possession in and around their penalty area.

I don't think that they necessarily "wanted it more", I would be surprised (and indeed devastated) if that was the case. I just think that Bilic got his tactics spot on and won the battle between the two managers. We could've exposed this without even changing our system, but were not brave/skilled/experienced enough to play through their press. Bilic's system kept our fullbacks largely pinned back with anything we did go forward with then being funnelled into their central defensive three. They pressed Lloris so that his kicking was poor and they pressed our two centre halves and Dier to make it difficult for us to build from the back. Of course the boggy pitch didn't help in terms of us being able to play it through the press, but even had it been a good pitch, without Dembele and Alli we lacked the players with the confidence, strength and skill to demand the ball in central areas and be able to keep it. Had we got through that initial press we would've seen our attacking midfield three and Kane up against only the three West Ham central defenders, but we didn't exploit this at all in the first half. I thought that Mason got involved in a battle instead of trying to ensure that we played our football. All it needed was for one of our central midfielders to be able to draw a foul and booking from Noble and/or Obiang and the whole dynamic would've changed.

Knowing that West Ham couldn't keep up that level of pressing for the entire game in the second half, Bilic then instead sat them back into a very well organised defensive position. I thought the problem for us was that as the game wore on we didn't have the right creative players to take advantage of their defensive tactics - I would've liked to have seen Lamela still on the pitch and Chadli entering the fray in the last third of the game when pressure builds, space opens up and we have more and more possession in and around their penalty area.

A fair summing up and I I can't dance with most of it.

Lamela, like many others, was poor on the night. Not much would have been gained by keeping him on. In retrospect it may have been better for him to have come off the bench and try and make the same impact as he did against City.

he looked the most likely to bundle his way through their D

By far the better bet for that would be an in-form Son whose close control and finishing is better than Lamela's. Unfortunately, he hasn't had a run of games to recapture his pre-injury form.

The two biggest factors for me was their pressing on a bobbly pitch. That combination of having to keep an eye on an unpredictable ball and being closed down made us play the ball quicker, so less accurately, or get caught in possession.
An older head in the middle may have been able to counter that.

Fair play to West Ham, they played well and made it extremely difficult for us.

One blip like this in 7 games has to be expected, though really painful to lose a game of this importance.

Pitch was poor, ref was terrible, but our players didn't do well enough either. Particularly in the first half.

By far the better bet for that would be an in-form Son whose close control and finishing is better than Lamela's. splendidly, he hasn't had a run of games to recapture his pre-injury form.

370 minutes of football in all competitions for us in February for Son.

By far the better bet for that would be an in-form Son whose close control and finishing is better than Lamela's. splendidly, he hasn't had a run of games to recapture his pre-injury form.
Son's close control has looked anything but 'close' to me.... He rarely seems to control the ball with his first touch, which means he is then having to have a second touch, allowing the opposition time to get their tackle in. I have been disappointed at the amount of possession that Son gives up rather easily.

Back