• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur v The Real Madrid - 1st half***

At the press conference after the Utd game Poch was adamant he would not answer any questions about transfers or individual players (in response I think to a question about Toby's release clause) and said that would continue to be the case so no point asking. Fast forward to yesterday's post match conference and the first question asked is about Danny Rose. I guess that irked him somewhat based on what he had previously said (although tbh I think it is a bit unrealistic not to expect such questions during the transfer window) and it set the tone for the remaining questions.
At least I hope that's all it was. I agree his response to the Lamela question was a bit off.

With the part about his job title and manager v coach - my interpretation is he was just saying if my job title was "Coach" would you then stop asking me these questions and accept that my job is just to coach the team?

I can believe that he gets frustrated at the way things move in the transfer window but I don't think it means there is a rift brewing between him and Levy.

In any case, yet again, the talk is all about Poch, and very little about the players. If his aim is to deflect attention, a la Mourinho, he's beginning to get very, very good at it.

Does he need to deflect attention from the players when they are all great and we’ve just smashed the 13 times European Champions?

Does he need to deflect attention from the players when they are all great and we’ve just smashed the 13 times European Champions?

Beating Real is like beating Man U these days; it’s small-time to get excited about it. They really weren’t very good, friendly or no friendly.

All our players are great, though. Lots to be happy about from yesterday.

This thing of turning pre-season friendlies into ludicrously unconvincing four-way single-venue pseudo-cups with double-headers, cheap TV rights, chunky automotive sector sponsorship and naked dancing ladies at half time.

Why don’t we do it next year at NWHL? It’s quite fun.

This thing of turning pre-season friendlies into ludicrously unconvincing four-way single-venue pseudo-cups with double-headers, cheap TV rights, chunky automotive sector sponsorship and naked dancing ladies at half time.

I knew I shouldn't have made that cup of tea.

I notice Bayern did what Arsenal usually do in their version and pitted themselves against the weakest side to ensure their place in the final. Unlike Arsenal though, Bayern actually won.

Beating Real is like beating Man U these days; it’s small-time to get excited about it. They really weren’t very good, friendly or no friendly.

All our players are great, though. Lots to be happy about from yesterday.

Far too blaise about that result, RM and United are a great clubs and people easily forget how far we have come under Poch. A few years ago our pre seasons games were against lower league sides and european nobodies which often resulted in embarrassing results, now we are a headline club which people want to see. The results in these games mean little but it boosts our worldwide profile as does any victory.

I think that a few people are overreacting with what Poch is saying in that press conference.

The Lamela question, the guy practically answered his own question saying Lamela looked sharp and Poch pretty much said, you said he looked sharp what more do you want me to say about it?

Regarding transfers, Poch clearly states that he has no involvement in the negotiation of contracts or players coming in / going out. He did not say anything about not having a say on incoming transfers.

Looks to me that Poch is getting fed up with the same questions being asked about transfers and is saying that he is here to coach the team while Levy deals with transfers and contracts, it is not football manager, the manager very rarely gets involved with the negotiations of players, they might meet the player and speak to them but i would imagine thats about it. Do you really think the chairman says here is £90m and £500,000 a week wage budget knock yourself out? It doesn't work like that.

To much sense it that for some.

I've never got over the heartbreak of losing the 1993 Makita Tournament 4-0 to Chelsea at WHL. After beating Lazio in the semi, it really felt like our name was on the cup. Tony Cascarino and Gavin Pearooster tore us a new one that game

I've never got over the heartbreak of losing the 1993 Makita Tournament 4-0 to Chelsea at WHL. After beating Lazio in the semi, it really felt like our name was on the cup. Tony Cascarino and Gavin Pearooster tore us a new one that game

Good old Pearooster... now a priest I believe

On the Lamela thing, he gave a very ambiguous answer to whether he thinks Lamela played well or not. The conventional thing to do there is say "Yeah he was great. I'm very happy with him. He's had a lot of injuries but he's a top, top player, triffic lad and looking as sharp as he did today, he can really contribute this season."

Instead Poch said (and I paraphrase but I'm not misrepresenting what he said) "You've asked me a question and given me your opinion. So even if I disagree, I can't say because I'm not going to contradict you."

It wouldn't have stopped Brian Clough. Mind you, he really was tinkled a lot of the time (as opposed to tinkled off).

At the press conference after the Utd game Poch was adamant he would not answer any questions about transfers or individual players (in response I think to a question about Toby's release clause) and said that would continue to be the case so no point asking. Fast forward to yesterday's post match conference and the first question asked is about Danny Rose. I guess that irked him somewhat based on what he had previously said (although tbh I think it is a bit unrealistic not to expect such questions during the transfer window) and it set the tone for the remaining questions.
At least I hope that's all it was. I agree his response to the Lamela question was a bit off.

With the part about his job title and manager v coach - my interpretation is he was just saying if my job title was "Coach" would you then stop asking me these questions and accept that my job is just to coach the team?

I can believe that he gets frustrated at the way things move in the transfer window but I don't think it means there is a rift brewing between him and Levy.

In any case, yet again, the talk is all about Poch, and very little about the players. If his aim is to deflect attention, a la Mourinho, he's beginning to get very, very good at it.

The question about Rose is why I think that this is more about outgoing transfers rather than signings. If we are unable to sell Rose or Toby or whoever else, he has to work with them this season. By not commenting on it and distancing himself from the decision, he makes that easier.

The question about Rose is why I think that this is more about outgoing transfers rather than signings. If we are unable to sell Rose or Toby or whoever else, he has to work with them this season. By not commenting on it and distancing himself from the decision, he makes that easier.

Yes that would make sense.

Ghod knows what his reaction would be if a journo asks about Nkoudou.

Back