• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v The Pellets ***

Was he lucky there? I thought it looked like a foul and red card but didn’t see a replay.
There was also an incident when Dier won a header by smashing through a smaller opponent who went crashing to the floor in 8 pieces. Toby called the ref a word which gleaned a yellow card.

There was also an incident when Dier won a header by smashing through a smaller opponent who went crashing to the floor in 8 pieces. Toby called the ref a word which gleaned a yellow card.
Yeah
Fair play for Toby
We have been seriously lacking some leadership so that was good to see

A good win. Very impressed by some of the guys off the subs bench, one in particular:
Q8Nc3eN.png

Nemanja "Wolfs burgers" Rnić.​

He looks decent in the box. I’m not sure about his hold-up play; a fair bit seems to bounce off him. He’s done enough, though, to suggest we shouldn’t be flogging Kane for 90 minutes in every PL game.

He's a poacher, a real threat within the 18-20 yard range

If we want to play him, we need the rest of the team to understand that, he's not Kane, he shouldn't come deep, get the ball to him in the box area and give him support close by (he's pretty good at layoffs as well)

Even in last night's game against a very low level of opponent there were occasions when our defensive organisation was terrible....

Two instances from the highlights here....

1. Toby has come out with their player. HUGE gap between Dier and Doherty for their player to run into. A decent ball from them here and it's a one on one chance. Doherty is trying to go with the runner because Lamela doesn't bother to do so, but there is also another opponent (actually Doherty's direct opponent) behind him who ends up alone in lots of space. In this instance either Dier needs to squeeze in to make that space smaller as Toby goes out with the player creating that gap, or one of our central midfielders (in this instance Sissoko) has to drop in to cover Toby as he is pulled out by their player. It is basic defensive organisation and just not happening. Lack of coaching? Lack of application and/or lack of leadership on the pitch?

example1.png

2. Simple ball in behind here gave their player a free header from the centre of the goal from about 10 yards out. In this move Dier never ever gets himself aware of where the opponent is and does that thing he does all too often and allows a cross to go over his head to a well placed player behind him. It's almost criminal that Wolfsberger managed to get a good goalscoring chance from this situation. If that is Wood or Barnes for Burnley this weekend then it is very likely a goal.

example2.png

Even in last night's game against a very low level of opponent there were occasions when our defensive organisation was terrible....

Two instances from the highlights here....

1. Toby has come out with their player. HUGE gap between Dier and Doherty for their player to run into. A decent ball from them here and it's a one on one chance. Doherty is trying to go with the runner because Lamela doesn't bother to do so, but there is also another opponent (actually Doherty's direct opponent) behind him who ends up alone in lots of space. In this instance either Dier needs to squeeze in to make that space smaller as Toby goes out with the player creating that gap, or one of our central midfielders (in this instance Sissoko) has to drop in to cover Toby as he is pulled out by their player. It is basic defensive organisation and just not happening. Lack of coaching? Lack of application and/or lack of leadership on the pitch?

example1.png

2. Simple ball in behind here gave their player a free header from the centre of the goal from about 10 yards out. In this move Dier never ever gets himself aware of where the opponent is and does that thing he does all too often and allows a cross to go over his head to a well placed player behind him. It's almost criminal that Wolfsberger managed to get a good goalscoring chance from this situation. If that is Wood or Barnes for Burnley this weekend then it is very likely a goal.

example2.png
It's almost like the only natural defensive midfielder we have in the squad is Hojbjerg and that others need a very set (deep defensive?) setup to be able to perform their roles well.

Also almost like we have no top quality centre backs and that they too need rather specific conditions to excel.

Take out our two clearly first choice full backs too and we're a bit of a mess defensively.

Coaching, sure. But learning to deal with a lot of different defensive scenarios is something that takes time, and some players never get there.

It's almost like the only natural defensive midfielder we have in the squad is Hojbjerg and that others need a very set (deep defensive?) setup to be able to perform their roles well.

Also almost like we have no top quality centre backs and that they too need rather specific conditions to excel.

Take out our two clearly first choice full backs too and we're a bit of a mess defensively.

Coaching, sure. But learning to deal with a lot of different defensive scenarios is something that takes time, and some players never get there.
The youth teams I have coached in the past are better organized than this. It’s why Dier will never be a decent centre back and Sissoko will never be a holding midfield player. In every game we play I see these basic, positional issues and seriously wonder if the players are receiving any coaching on shape and also how bad Rodon must be?

The youth teams I have coached in the past are better organized than this. It’s why Dier will never be a decent centre back and Sissoko will never be a holding midfield player. In every game we play I see these basic, positional issues and seriously wonder if the players are receiving any coaching on shape and also how bad Rodon must be?
To be fair to the current team it's a lot harder the better the opponents are and the quicker the game gets.

Sissoko I agree with. He's very good in quite a few different types of duels, but a bit too often he's not in the right position to use that strength of his and age isn't on his side.

Dier I'm still undecided on. We've seen a lot of centre backs improve massively with the right partner. I'm holding onto hope that he might be one of them one day.

To be fair to the current team it's a lot harder the better the opponents are and the quicker the game gets.

Sissoko I agree with. He's very good in quite a few different types of duels, but a bit too often he's not in the right position to use that strength of his and age isn't on his side.

Dier I'm still undecided on. We've seen a lot of centre backs improve massively with the right partner. I'm holding onto hope that he might be one of them one day.
Maybe if he spent a season or two at a Championship club, under a good defensive coach then he might start taking up the right positions and making the right decisions? My worry is that after a year of playing there under Jose this part of his game hasn’t improved one bit. Player? Coaching staff? Or both?!?

Thanks Finney - that is the situation I was talking about in the match thread, when Toby came rushing out and out and out again way out of position and NOBODY in our team reacted to the chasm in behind. Someone has to fill in OR Toby should not be rushing out, but it was awful to see it happening, against any decent team that is a big opportunity to breach our defence.

Thanks Finney - that is the situation I was talking about in the match thread, when Toby came rushing out and out and out again way out of position and NOBODY in our team reacted to the chasm in behind. Someone has to fill in OR Toby should not be rushing out, but it was awful to see it happening, against any decent team that is a big opportunity to breach our defence.
Why was Toby rushing out? I didn’t pay any attention to the game TBH

Maybe if he spent a season or two at a Championship club, under a good defensive coach then he might start taking up the right positions and making the right decisions? My worry is that after a year of playing there under Jose this part of his game hasn’t improved one bit. Player? Coaching staff? Or both?!?

He's 27 mate, he could probably do a serviceable job with a top level CB next to him but I don't see him ever being reliable.

Honestly I think he made a mistake, his best games for Spurs were as a DM, where he can be a bit brash, overcommit or just do sweep up work. Being the last man, having to judge more, just doesn't really suit him. His insistence that he is a CB or nothing will shorten his career with us.

Back