1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

** OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Newcastle United**

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by nelto, 1 Feb 2019.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 4 Feb 2019.
  1. Sanchez

18.2%
  2. Sissoko

10.9%
  3. Vertonghen

36.4%
  4. Winks

34.5%
  1. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Robinson

Azza was better than a lot of people give him credit for being. I'm still amused by the Goons' outrage at him deservedly getting into the WC squad over sicknote Walcott in 2010...and I'm still gutted at the way we just cut him loose after nearly a decade with the club.

2. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Rafael Van Der Vaart

I think its fair to question his attacking output, mostly because he clearly had ability left untapped which is a great shame.

That said, he really was a cracking player and Ill always value him.

I dont mind that he went, though it would have been nice if it didnt feel like such a run of the mill move. Everton was a good transfer, he wasnt a Poch player so that was fine, just would have been nice for a bit of sentiment about it.

3. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

Indeed he was, used to love him bombing down the wing and we always looked dangerous with him in the side. One of my favourite players.

DubaiSpur and harr1984 like this.
  4. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

Agree with you, he had a brilliant first touch. What I would question is why wasnt he a Poch player? Not you, but Poch himself. He had technical ability, worked hard defensively and I thought he would have bought his game along. Yet he got rid of him, and bought in N'Koudu and N'Jie who weren't anywhere near his level, potential or not. It wasnt like Lennon was old. Obviously had his reasons, i'd be interested to know.....

5. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Johnny Morrison

I remember reading stuff at the time that it was his general attitude, plus he apparently drank a bit too much and hence wasn't as professional as would be expected of a 'Poch player' especially these days

6. billyiddo

billyiddo Barry Daines Staff Member

From what i heard he wasn't the most professional off the pitch and wouldn't have fitted in with the type of attitude Poch would have been looking to build at the time.

harr1984 likes this.
  7. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

Lennon had so many big moments for us, he was definitely one of our best players for a time.

8. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Johnny Morrison

I believe Lennon had a record whereby if he scored, Spurs didn't lose; at least in the league i'm certain that was the case anyway

9. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I would only assume some sort of attitude issue. He did go on to have mental issues at Everton, perhaps his behaviour was erratic?

Or something like this, he is a bit "of the last generation".

I would suggest whatever it was wouldnt have been down to ability.

harr1984 likes this.
  10. Bullet

Bullet Chris Perry

That could be because he hardly ever scored and/or only scored the third goal rather than the first goal, etcetera

11. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

He only scored 26 for us, but one was that winner against Chelsea, one was the crazy 4-4, one was an important winner against Bolton to keep us in the hunt for CL.

DubaiSpur likes this.
  12. Daisuk

Daisuk Pat van den Hauwe

Also a later winner against Liverpool. I liked Lennon a lot.

DubaiSpur and galeforce like this.
  13. Craig_J

Craig_J Jose Dominguez

Think you're thinking of Tom Huddlestone hitting a 30 yard powerful daisy cutter in a bit of a drab match. Our last home game before facing City in 09/10??

14. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

Nah, a couple of years earlier, under Jol, not long before the sabotage.

Craig_J likes this.
  15. MKSpur

MKSpur Alan Hutton

There was a very late one against Birmingham IIRC, remember carrying on somewhere in the posher part of north London after the game and watching united beat the goons to the ire of most of the pub, with berbatov missing a sitter to compete a great day out!

DubaiSpur likes this.
  16. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Robinson

That was part of the brilliant start to 09/10, right? Five wins from five. I think Azza scored the winning goal in the 92nd minute, or thereabouts.

I think that game was the last of the five before we went and drew to Bolton at the Reebok, iirc. I remember Lennon's goal because there was this wonderful shot of him cutting inside and then driving across the front of the penalty area before flashing the shot under Joe Hart - while all the advertising hoardings behind the goal were showing an ad for bubblegum that went 'Added Time? Added Tension'. :p

Good times, good times.

17. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Gheorge Popescu

He lacked power, was always an intelligent player with good movement and tactical awareness. I don't think he did too badly given his talent. Maybe underachieved a touch.

18. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Gheorge Popescu

Also don't think his finishing was very good and that is pretty much an innate skill, keeping your cool under pressure, you don't see too much variance in that over the course of a career. Like people hoping Dembele would add goals to his game when that clearly was never gonna happen.

19. nayimfromthehalfwayline

The thing was that every now and then he would have a run of games where he was clearly playing at potential. And he was magnificent. And then he would drop back into the norm (which was by no means "bad"!).

It showed he had it there, which is why I always felt there was more potential to be realised in him.

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.
  20. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Pascal Chimbonda

I stand by this comment.