• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Hull City Tigers *** Capital One Cup

I don't think the players are really the problem here... You can play any combination of players and they should go out and play well. The fundamental issue here in my view is the tactics by which we set out to adopt and play.

Yesterday was dreadful and what concerns me, and in sure others will beg to differ, is that the players appear not to be enjoying it nor know what they're doing. So many times a player had the ball and said player was pointing to where others should run. Urgh.

I think AVB needs to be less regimental and more flexible and allow the players to be the same. They will enjoy it much more resulting in a more energetic performance. There is no enthusiasm and verve in our performances.

I don't think the players are really the problem here... You can play any combination of players and they should go out and play well. The fundamental issue here in my view is the tactics by which we set out to adopt and play.

Yesterday was dreadful and what concerns me, and in sure others will beg to differ, is that the players appear not to be enjoying it nor know what they're doing. So many times a player had the ball and said player was pointing to where others should run. Urgh.

I think AVB needs to be less regimental and more flexible and allow the players to be the same. They will enjoy it much more resulting in a more energetic performance. There is no enthusiasm and verve in our performances.

agree

its a bit like the players are shackled by the tactics......set them free!!

agree

its a bit like the players are shackled by the tactics......set them free!!

perhaps ol Vlad the impaler looks a bit like Freddie Mercury.....

maybe when he signed he did a rendition of queens 'break free'

maybe he should keep singing it to avb.......as I said in a previous thread avb will lift up the handbrake when he feels ready....but please lets be sensible we have made our best ever start and lost 2 games out of how many?????? I wont blindly defend avb he does make mistakes......but to blast him for tactics when stat wise he is our most successful manager to date is a bit silly imo.....

its not just the players who need time....but our fans who are not used to us playing and grinding out results.......some would no doubt be happier if we were more expansive had less points and lost a few games 4-3....

My name is Nicola Berti
I'm aged around thirty
I come from a team in Milan - Inter!
When I walk down the street
All the people I meet
They say, Hey gorgeous, what's your name
My name's Nicola Berti

I loved hearing this again

Quality mate. I was up there.
1882 are in block 35 vs Sheriff. Should be another excellent night.

We sung it in France
We sung it in Spain
We sing in the sun &
We sing in the rain
You tried to stop us & look what it did
Coz the thing i love most
Is being a Yid
Being a Yid
The thing i love most
Is being a Yid

One other thought. I think Defoe lost a lot confidence taking pens after he had a run of missing them a few seasons ago.

That one last night was textbook. Hopefully that gives him his mojo back if we get one when he is playing and Soldado is off the pitch.

SPU1-0HUL.gif

My name is Nicola Berti
I'm aged around thirty
I come from a team in Milan - Inter!
When I walk down the street
All the people I meet
They say, Hey gorgeous, what's your name
My name's Nicola Berti

I loved hearing this again

Andre, give us a song,
Andre, Andre, give us a song

Quality

It is amazing that we have won a penalty shootout for once ! After losing our last 7 penalty shootouts since 1994, still find it difficult to believe we have actually won one ! We probably still have one of the worst penalty shootout record in world football, even worse than of England. So it is great to see us improving it now. Well done to AVB and the team for making yet another history ! Hope we will go into any future penalty shootouts with more confidence after this win. Ofcourse, it was disappointing this match went to penalties despite us playing at home. We again failed to use our home advantage against minor teams like Hull. Hope we will learn to make use of our quality to kill off these minor teams.

IMO, our man-of-the-match was Kane, not Friedel. We badly needed a hero to save us when being down at 1-2 in extra time, and Kane came up at the right moment to score the equaliser. It was a well-worked goal with Defoe assisting Kane. He was unlucky not to score a hattrick with his shot hitting the post late in normal time and another goal being ruled out for offiside. And he took his penalty really well too ! I have never been convinced of Kane before and still not sure if he will become a good player for us. But this performance has gone a long way to show what Kane can do for us. Hope it is not just another one-off performance like so many of our youngsters before. Really disappointed Defoe didn't continue his goal run in Cup matches but his penalty was well-taken. Felt sorry for Lamela for missing the penalty. Thought Lamela was one of our best players in extra time as he played really well. Just wish the goalie didn't save his well-taken freekick. Lamela badly needs a goal to boost his confidence. Just hope he won't be affected further by missing that penalty.

It was another disappointing performance from midfield. Both Paulinho and Dembele didn't contribute much to the team. After being excelent in his first few matches, Paulinho has been very poor lately. Getting annoyed with his long range shots which always goes way off target. Dembele should add some finishing touch to his dribbling skills. More disappointingly Eriksen had another poor game. He is supposed to be our main creator but he has been very poor since his first 2 matches for us.who doesn't look like the much-hyped about player we bought. Well done to Sigurdsson for scoring that wonder goal. Without doubt it was a world class goal. But Sigurdsson is a very frustrating player. He can score goals like these but would always go missing after scoring them. And again he went missing after scoring that goal. He can become a key player to us if he can perform consistently. Chadli's injury almost cost us but fortunately Kane came in to score the equaliser.

Really disappointed we conceded 2 goals at home to a shyte team like Hull. Friedel has to take large part of the blame for both goals. Friedel was too slow to react for the first goal while he should have come out to deal with the cross for the second goal. I think Lloris could have prevented both goals. Wish we can play a younger goalie like Gomes in Cup matches like these. Nice to see Kaboul returning from injury but he looked a bit rusty. He should have done better with the 2headed chances he got during corners. Maybe he will need time to get back his old form. Chiriches needs to improve as well as he looked shaky at times.

I was really surprised to see the quality of our penalties. Almost all of them were top quality penalties. Even Lamela's penalty was not that bad but unfortunately the goalie guessed the right way. Big credit to Friedel for saving the 2 penalties. With 9 penalties taken, only Chiriches and Friedel were not needed to take one. Just imagine if Friedel didn't save the second penalty and forced to take one himself ! Fortunately he made that crucial save ! It is great to progress to the quarter final against West Ham. It will be our third consecutive PL team in League Cup. But hope we will be all fired up to take revenge against West Ham for that humiliating league defeat.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't remember ever seeing us winning a penalty shootout (been following Spurs since '91, but didn't get to see a lot of matches back then)! Milestone. :)

For the record, our penalty shootout record now reads : won 3 and lost 9.

Penalty Shootouts

Tottenham Record : Won=3, Lost=9

30-Oct-2013 L.C. Cup 4 H Hull City 2-2 (a.e.t) (Spurs won 8-7 on pens)
(Sigurdsson=scored,Defoe=scored,Vertonghen=scored,Lamela=saved,Kane=scored,Paulinho=scored,Kaboul=scored,Dembele=scored,Walker=scored)

11-Apr-2013 E.L. QF A FC Basel 2-2 (a.e.t) (Spurs lost 1-4 on pens)
(Huddletone=saved, Sigurdsson=scored, Adebayor=missed)

20-Sep-2011 L.C. 3 A Stoke City D 0 - 0 (a.e.t) (Spurs lost 6-7 on pens)
(Defoe=scored,Pavlyuchenko=missed,Townsend=scored,Corluka=scored,Kaboul=scored,Livermore=scored,
Carroll=scored,Luongo=saved)

01-Mar-09 L.C. Cup Final 88,217 W Manchester United D 0 - 0 (a.e.t) (Spurs lost 1-4 on pens)
(O'Hara=saved,Corluka=scored,Bentley=missed)

12-Mar-08 UEFA 3 (2L) 33,000 A PSV Eindhoven W 1 - 0 (a.e.t) Berbatov (Spurs lost 5-6 on pens)
(Berbatov=scored,O'Hara=Scored,Huddlestone=scored,Bent=scored,Jenas=missed,Zokora=scored,
Chimbonda=missed)

01-Dec-04 L.C. Cup 5 36,100 H Liverpool D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Defoe (Spurs lost 4-3 on pens)
(Brown=missed, Kanoute=missed)

17-Dec-03 L.C. Cup 5 25,307 H Middlesbrough D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Anderton (Spurs lost 5-4 on pens)

09-Mar-96 F.A. Cup 5® 31,055 H Nottingham Forest D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Sheringham (Spurs lost 1-3 on Penalties)

26-May-95 Friendly 20,000 A Singapore Lions D 1 - 1 Anderton (Lost 2-4 on penalties)

19-Jan-94 F.A. Cup 3® 24,893 H Peterborough United D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Barmby (Spurs won 5-4 on Penalties)

27-Apr-93 Fiorucci Cup(Friendly) H Inter Milan D 0 - 0 (Lost 6-5 on penalties)

25-May-84 UEFA Final (2L) 46,205 H Anderlecht D 1 - 1 Roberts (2-2 aggregate)
(Spurs win the UEFA cup 4-3 on penalties)
(Roberts=scored,Falco=scored,Stevens=scored,Archibald=scored,Thomas=saved)

We have actually lost 8 penalty shootouts since 1994 and 9 in total. Maybe, AVB can improve our penalty records. But AVB did mention we didn't train for penalties against Hull but did so against Basel.

yeah penalty shootout wins is not something you associate with spurs.....or grinding out 1-0 wins.....

cant remember who said it in the hull omt....something like avb has broken spurs lol

Back