• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

It's only Talksport so I'm not too fussed about the poll in and of itself...but am curious as to when this became a thing to beat Spurs fans with? What was it that we did that other clubs don't do? I know we produce season review DVDs and the one at the end of 05/06 was called 'Road back to Europe' or something like that. Was that it? Why do we get the DVD banter ahead of other clubs? What did we do that was so silly that no other club would have done?

It's only Talksport so I'm not too fussed about the poll in and of itself...but am curious as to when this became a thing to beat Spurs fans with? What was it that we did that other clubs don't do? I know we produce season review DVDs and the one at the end of 05/06 was called 'Road back to Europe' or something like that. Was that it? Why do we get the DVD banter ahead of other clubs? What did we do that was so silly that no other club would have done?
Probably stems from around a decade ago, when we released a DVD of the 5-1 League Cup semi-final win over the Goons... plus a DVD of the 9-1 thrashing of Wigan... plus a DVD of the 4-3 comeback against the Spammers... plus a DVD of when Rose scored on his debut... plus a DVD of when we beat Chelsea 2-1 in the league... plus a DVD of our 1-0 EPL win over Chavski...

Thankfully we win big league games regularly enough nowadays not to feel it necessary to release a commemorative DVD every time.

Last edited:
Probably stems from around a decade ago, when we released a DVD of the 5-1 League Cup semi-final win over the Goons... plus a DVD of the 9-1 thrashing of Wigan... plus a DVD of the 4-3 comeback against the Spammers... plus a DVD of when Rose scored on his debut... plus a DVD of when we beat Chelsea 2-1 in the league... plus a DVD of our 1-0 EPL win over Chavski...

Thankfully we win big league games regularly enough nowadays not to need to commemorate every victory with a DVD release.

Ah...yeah that is quite bad. I mean, Levy trying to monetise every angle in the days before streaming n all that but yeah...not great especially if all of our rivals are not doing similar.

This is just one we have to take on the chin even though we aren’t that club anymore I guess.

I hate them too. For all the reasons you described. I just hate Arsenal more. I grew up in a town with predominantly Arsenal, Spurs, United and Liverpool fans but the majority of kids in my school were gooners who used to rip the tinkle relentlessly as I was at school when they were winning everything and we were a mid table joke. That's where my hatred for them stems from. Their fans have always been breathtakingly arrogant. Not to mention their players go out of their way to let everyone know how much they hate Spurs when apparently they couldn't care less about us.

The fetish on here with Liverpool though is something I will never get.

We don't get enough meaningful derbies - what with West Ham, Palace and Fulham all pizze pauvre year after year. And Watford hardly stirs the blood.

So, we had to manufacture one and the little, lippy folk of Lillepud, er, eh, Liverpool, The Searchers For The Lost Perch, earned that distinction with their rampant quntishness.

From a time when the game wasnt awash with foreign players, I totally get it.

Now?

Now its even more so IMO - we have teams with NO english players in their first 11

Clubs have players with no history or association with the fans

Characters have gone from the game and its become very tactical

To me, a huge part of our change under Poch is the move towards the home grown approach (one of our own)... it matters more to Kane for example than it does to most

Have you heard Ryan Mason talk about how he was one of the players along with Kane that outed the old guard who weren't coming on the "journey"? Its well worth a listen and he did talk about it on the spurs show podcast

Now its even more so IMO - we have teams with NO english players in their first 11

To me, a huge part of our change under Poch is the move towards the home grown approach (one of our own)... it matters more to Kane for example than it does to most

Have you heard Ryan Mason talk about how he was one of the players along with Kane that outed the old guard who weren't coming on the "journey"? Its well worth a listen and he did talk about it on the spurs show podcast
Would love to hear that from Mason, had a quick google and can’t find anything though.

Again - broadly I do not disagree that that heart is missing in teams - I just disagree that its a nationality thing.

Cantona, Stam, Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Drogba, Lamela, Ji Sung, Distin, Kuyt, di Canio, Schezny, Hamann, Ronaldo, Ginola, Junhino, Pires, Vidic .. even bloody Tarricco "got it".

These players knew the importance of derbies, rivalries, or had a real affinity with their club and fans, lead their teams and none are English.

Again - broadly I do not disagree that that heart is missing in teams - I just disagree that its a nationality thing.

Cantona, Stam, Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Drogba, Lamela, Ji Sung, Distin, Kuyt, di Canio, Schezny, Hamann, Ronaldo, Ginola, Junhino, Pires, Vidic .. even bloody Tarricco "got it".

These players knew the importance of derbies, rivalries, or had a real affinity with their club and fans, lead their teams and none are English.

They did get it
But they also had players who told them what it meant to get it...

I’d add Mido and Van Der Varte too

Their also predominantly character players and individuals... their being drummed out fo the game name for more tactical machines who do exactly what the manager wants

Erisken for me is a classic modern player in that he is brilliant but shows so little emotion and attachment to the team. Bale is the same

I know I’ve flipped onto a where have all the characters gone post but they can work hand in hand

And for the benefit do spurs I’m glad the other sides don’t get derbies

Kaboul and Adebayor wasn't it?

They did get it
But they also had players who told them what it meant to get it...

I’d add Mido and Van Der Varte too

Their also predominantly character players and individuals... their being drummed out fo the game name for more tactical machines who do exactly what the manager wants

Eriksen-sen-sen for me is a classic modern player in that he is brilliant but shows so little emotion and attachment to the team. Bale is the same

I know I’ve flipped onto a where have all the characters gone post but they can work hand in hand

And for the benefit do spurs I’m glad the other sides don’t get derbies

Id say a lot of that isnt to do with English players at all, rather the fact football in general has moved into a direction where everything is transient.

Players go to a club already with a eye on the next club, knowing if they perform they will get there. Its much more career minded. They know for the most part they will be there 1-3 seasons and move on.

A lot of what you are talking about is from way back when, when players went to a club expecting to stay there. Hence theyd settle, bond, find affinity...

Its much less a nationality thing than simply a sign of the times, IMO.

EDIT: And I should say - managers are no different. Poch really is a special case.

Back