• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Happy with the win but we really made hard work of it. We always seem to have problems playing against defensive minded teams like Brighton. This was supposed to be our easiest of our remaining matches this season but we almost throw it away. As expected we dominated the match but failed to make our domination count. Our attack looked toothless and didn't look like scoring until Eriksen's long range goal late in the match. Fortunately for us, Eriksen came up with his wonder goal. Makes you wonder why we didn't try those long range shots earlier.

Credit to Eriksen for getting our only goal but all our attacking players were poor in this match. It was a brilliant long range goal by Eriksen but he was poor until then. Not sure why Eriksen can score long range goals like these but cannot score from freekicks for more than 3 years now. Son and Moura didn't look like scoring whole match. After his hattrick against Huddersfield, thought Moura would score at least 1 goal in this match but he only had 1 shot on target. Nothing went right for Son as all his shots went off target. Llorente was even worse as he hardly touched the ball the whole match. Not sure why Llorente played the whole match despite not helping our attack much. Good to see Janssen coming on late in the match but he didn't have much time to make an impact. I think Janssen should have come on for Llorente much earlier. Thought Alli will inspire us but he had another quiet match.

Our midfield didn't have much to do in this match. But we lacked creativity from the midfield to help our attack. Wanyama played well but not sure we even needed him in this match. Maybe Wanyama should have helped our attack more. Wanyama did have a shot on goal but it was well off target. Maybe we should have started with Dier in this match.

Good to see our defence keeping another clean sheet at our new stadium. Brighton didn't really test our defence but they did have a few chances which our defence did well to clear. In fact, our defence were so free that they tried to help our attack at times. Alderweireld was unlucky not to score when his shot hit the post. But our defenders like Vertonghen and Alderweireld should be more clinical with headers whenever we get corners. We had many corners in this match but failed to make it count.

Thought we would get a comfortable win over Brighton but we almost dropped crucial points. This match shows that we won't have any easy matches for the rest of the season. You can bet our self-declared no.1 enemy, West Ham, will make it even harder when we play them next. We need all the players to lift their game for the remaining matches if we want to finish in top 3 this season.

Happy with the win but we really made hard work of it. We always seem to have problems playing against defensive minded teams like Brighton. This was supposed to be our easiest of our remaining matches this season but we almost throw it away. As expected we dominated the match but failed to make our domination count. Our attack looked toothless and didn't look like scoring until Eriksen's long range goal late in the match. Fortunately for us, Eriksen came up with his wonder goal. Makes you wonder why we didn't try those long range shots earlier.

Apart from the earlier 20 shots you mean?

as per Opta: "Tottenham attempted 21 shots from outside the box, the most by a team in a Premier League game since Liverpool also fired in 21 against Chelsea in April 2014."

Apart from the earlier 20 shots you mean?

as per Opta: "Tottenham attempted 21 shots from outside the box, the most by a team in a Premier League game since Liverpool also fired in 21 against Chelsea in April 2014."

We only started to take long range shots once we got desperate late in the match. Most of the times, we tried to pass the ball into the net and lost the ball in the process.

Yeah I noticed we kept taking a pop from outside the box right the way through the game. And if anything I wish we'd tried a few more. Probably just as much chance of scoring that way than via wayward crosses or constantly passing from side to side.
Their box was so crowded, the goal was actually helped by the keeper being unsighted. And there's always a chance of a Frank Lampard deflection.

If he wasn't English he'd probably understand how to play football without resorting to just running abaat a bit.

Why is running about a bad thing? You love Lamela for example whose best attribute is his "running abaat a bit" and it's something he should be applauded for. You won't get far on work rate alone but all the top teams in European football today have players who chase, press and work hard off the ball.

Rose can play football even without the "running abaat a bit". He's easily the best full back in our squad.

Last edited:
Why is running about a bad thing? You love Lamela for example whose best attribute is his "running abaat a bit" and it's something he should be applauded for. You won't get far on work rate alone but all the top teams in European football today have players who chase, press and work hard off the ball.

Rose can play football even without the "running abaat a bit". He's easily the best full back in our squad.
Lamela's best skill by far is his ability to do the unexpected and wrong-foot defenders.

Running around is the absolute minimum I would expect of any sportsperson - thay doesn't make them a footballer though. I'll assume you are old enough to remember football in the 80s when running about was enough - if so, I don't need to expand that point.

Lamela's best skill by far is his ability to do the unexpected and wrong-foot defenders.

Running around is the absolute minimum I would expect of any sportsperson - thay doesn't make them a footballer though. I'll assume you are old enough to remember football in the 80s when running about was enough - if so, I don't need to expand that point.

Maybe it was his strength in his Roma days but he hasn’t been consistent enough in his time at Spurs. Would you say he’s a better player now than when we signed him? I’d argue it’s minimal at best. It’s a shame for him as he started this season on fire.

Maybe it was his strength in his Roma days but he hasn’t been consistent enough in his time at Spurs. Would you say he’s a better player now than when we signed him? I’d argue it’s minimal at best. It’s a shame for him as he started this season on fire.
I'd say he was a very good player when we signed him and still is. He's just injured.

I'd say he was a very good player when we signed him and still is. He's just injured.

I think he is a very average player who has moments of being very good - and isnt "just injured" but "perpetually injured".

I like a lot of what he brings (when fit, obviously!) but Ive never felt it ever came together for him as him developing into a better player.

Rather, in fits and starts he looks very good but otherwise is basically a bit of a trier.

That season we won away at City through Eriksen he played almost the whole season and that was his peak (for us). Think he would look better if he could just play a whole season.

Back