• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v aston villa

After the result against West Ham this was an incredibly important win for us which should give us some confidence ahead of the next match at Hull. The 2nd half was much better from us, more of that please.

Despite my grumble at half time its great that we are only 3 points off top spot despite our general performances being somewhat laboured at times. If we keep picking up the points now when we aren't playing great it is going to stand us in good stead when we really click into gear which we will do at some point.

IMO - a mediocre performance with a few positives to take.

Yes, Villa hardly had a shot on goal, but that was more due to their wayward finishing of their players hitting things that should have gone into the back of the net into row Z. We could easily have gone a goal down in the first half. And if that were the case, I very much doubt they'd have stopped doubling up on Townsend and committed men forward, which was what gave us the space to hit them on the counter in the second half.

A problem I have with AVB is that he has the right overall idea and philosophy about the way the team should play, but regularly fails to use players in a combination that makes the system work. When we play Sigurdsson and Vertonghen on the left, we don't have a real wide threat from that side. That means teams know they can double up on Townsend and we'll struggle to find space as we'll be playing narrowly. This can only be avoided if we either have a really dynamic dribbling forward type up front, which Soldado isn't. The other problem with doing this is that one of Paulinho's best attributes is making well timed, late runs into the box in space to score, but if we're playing too narrow it becomes much harder for him to do so. No co-incidence that, as soon as Lennon came on and we stretched the play a bit more, he got the space he needed to set up Soldado. We need to adapt our shape, formation and personnel depending on who we're playing - we got away with it today but against West Ham we got spanked because we got the tactics very wrong.

Positives - An immense performance from the best defensive midfielder in the Premiership, great to have him back in the side. Dawson good in the air and Chiriches also very solid too. When they started committing men forward and we could hit them on the counter, Townsend was very good and Soldado's goal was superbly taken, great to have that "open play" monkey off his back (nobody make any Townsend jokes). We have equalled our best ever Premier League start and the team hasn't fully clicked yet, which is good to see. Now looking forward to a response from Eriksen, Dembele and Lamela who have been left out.

igqny5bNqhP4S.gif

iUuWWP3RtGFqh.gif

ixELQ6jO16ut.gif

Can Azza play the inverted winger role though? I'm sure Arry tried it and it didn't work. Is Azza 2 footed enough?

I know in a perfect World we'd switch Andros to the left where he'd perform exactly the same and then we'd have the options of Azza and Lamela on the right but we shouldn't potentially break what isn't broken.

I really think that Ade in for Siggi at points might work.

Ah well, give the youngsters time. No shame losing to this collection of talent. Spurs are nowhere near as good as they're going to get this season, which makes this a bit of a wasted opportunity for us. Delph clearly our best.

Can I be the first to say what an honour it was to see our team on the same pitch as England Legend Andros Townsend.

I came everytime he touched the ball.

Awful football at home as usual. Seemed to be playing for a draw before they scored. Getting boring saying it now but Delph clear MOTM once again.

Can't believe Delph would tackle Sir Andros Townsend like that!

Well that was a boring Andros Townsend ****fest

Not too worried, can't see what Kozak offers us though. Spurs don't look like title contenders at all.

A nice limp dingdong performance and defeat to start off the working week

Tottenham in second gear on our own patch, pathetic

Frustrating to watch. Clearly Benteke won more headers in the first two minutes of him being on the pitch than Kozak did in his 60 minutes. we huffed and puffed but the better team won. Only positive was having Benteke back on the pitch.

I guess the big positive is Benteke got half an hour, we just conceded the second at a fatal time. Getting fed up of Spuds now.

Spurs fans chants of "You're **** and you know you are" have never rang truer. So frustrated at the moment.

tottenham is a good team indeed but im still a bit dissapointed in the effert, kind of toothless and bleak. we need something more than just counter attacking.

Decent group of players being stifled by **** tactics. Show no initiative in attack, try to absorb pressure and counter. Then when we're losing with 20 mins left we finally start playing but it's too late as our tired defenders are ripped apart with, ironically, counter attacks.

I don't think we were woeful by any stretch, just completely toothless and lacked quality in the final third - which has been a worrying trend this season.

Then again, Spurs didn't offer much going forward. It took a lucky cross to get them ahead. The second to be fair was a lovely goal but it came when we were just getting a grip with the game.

Commentators almost ****ing off about Townsend drives me crazy. The "England Star" (with 2 caps) put on another inspiring performance...BS!!!

Spurs won at a canter and could afford to keep their better players on the bench until late in the game.

Awful match for us but there some moments of magic, our high pressing in the opening minutes of the game was perfect but as soon as Townsend scored Spurs took over and our players were somewhere else. What irritated me most was the lack of coolness on the ball on every player in Villa. Delph MOTM for us because he was taking us forward, being cool in possession and not taking a shot as soon as the ball bounced to him. Weimann could easily have taken the ball down and with just one more touch score or at least test Lloris.

I was very impressed of Andros again, been following him a while since his loan spell at Millwall and he really have stepped up his game. Without a doubt the MOTM and the best player in Spurs.

Tottenham didn't play particularly well tonight, but they have a very good defensive unit and good enough players to score twice when decide to open the gaps for obligatory business.

Maybe spurs weren't at their best because we didn't allow them to be, just like sometimes we aren't at our best when certain teams try playing us a certain way. I don't give a sh*t how spurs played, we have enough about our team to beat a team of their ability. Maybe not everyone agrees but I think we aren't far off a good team ourselves. Some of our players just need a bit more experience and belief, oh and Benteke is key as well

We were neither great nor abysmal, just mediocre. Only real disappointment for me really is that Spuds didn't have to play better to beat us.

Can Azza play the inverted winger role though? I'm sure Arry tried it and it didn't work. Is Azza 2 footed enough?

I know in a perfect World we'd switch Andros to the left where he'd perform exactly the same and then we'd have the options of Azza and Lamela on the right but we shouldn't potentially break what isn't broken.

I'm starting to believe Ade/Soldado could be brilliant. Ade has that link up play, runs the channels etc. Soldado can then stay in the box and score.

Lennon and Townsend to start wide going forward from now on please...

It was perfect for the situation we found ourselves in after we took the lead today. Lennon helped shore up our left hand side defensively as that's the only place we looked a bit shaky and of course the counter attacking possibilities were great with the two of them on the pitch.

That doesn't mean that it will be the right option from the start in all games.

It was perfect for the situation we found ourselves in after we took the lead today. Lennon helped shore up our left hand side defensively as that's the only place we looked a bit shaky and of course the counter attacking possibilities were great with the two of them on the pitch.

That doesn't mean that it will be the right option from the start in all games.

I'd love to see them attack and interchange all game. theyre so different in their styles that defenders wont know what to do.

The way the game was today after we took the lead I'm sure he can.

When the opponents sit back and defend deep the way Villa did in the first half today I'm not so sure.

Ade in a game like today to give us more movement and a physical presence up front seems like a really good thing. In behind Soldado or on the wing though? I'm not sure. Will hopefully prove a great option to have in our squad though.

I'd love to see them attack and interchange all game. theyre so different in their styles that defenders wont know what to do.

They're different in some aspects, but common for both of them is that they're really at their best when they have space to run into. We'll see how Townsend deals with the additional attention he's bound to get from teams, he wasn't great up until the goal today and I see no real reason to think that Lennon would have been either.

To break down stubborn teams that defend deep I think someone a bit more intricate could do better.

Will be interesting to see though, I'm sure they'll be given a chance at some point.

I'm starting to believe Ade/Soldado could be brilliant. Ade has that link up play, runs the channels etc. Soldado can then stay in the box and score.

All Soldado would have to do is put a chequered flag on his head and Ade could 'control' the ball to him.

I think Spurs are loosing momentum, we beat aston villa 4-0 earlier in the season now it's just 2-0... Soon it will only be 1-0 and the villa fans will say they should have gotten something out of the game. It's clearly AVB fault, I think he should resign now until that only 1-0 comes, if he has any pride that is...

This...been quietly waiting for it to happen at some time, could be exactly what we need as an option this winter...

Not the best game to watch but a good away performance nonetheless. Really glad to see Sandro back and was pleased to see AVB drop Naughton.

Round of applause for the macaron who threw a flare at the linesman. Wonder how/if the FA will punish the club because of one ****ing knobhead.

Lamela - Eriksen - Lennon

--------- Ade

Now that looks good for Thursday.

That's pretty ridiculous with a 100% change of personnel for those 4 attacking positions and with Chadli in contention too.

If Capoue is back we could also play him and Dembele in midfield rotating both of those positions. Naughton for Walker, Rose or Fryers for Vertonghen. Kaboul at the back..

Back