• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur LTD vs Southampton

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Same here. Arm slightly away from body, ball hits it, pelanty.

I'm still bitter about the ridiculous pelanty given against Dier when it hit his arm behind his back. I know the guidance has been changed since then (fat lot of good it's done us), but I'm pretty damn sure a pen would have been given for handball first if we were ManU or Liverpool.
I had visions of them not giving the pen or FK as the first view looked like Toby may have had it smashed into his email elbow post their hand ball.

It may seem far fetched but I have seen Son having a penalty he scored disallowed, not allowed to be retaken and a booking for the temeritt of pausing during his run up.

Was also nice to see us keep the ball a bit more tonight and have some ambition inthe second half. 62% possession at home against a lower half team should be normal!

We have enough good ball players that we should be able to dominate lots of teams, and should pick up a decent number of points over the remainder of the season. I'm still not sure what the right balance is for us in attack but we have some decent options, and even with Dele not getting off the bench!

We pressed really high second half, Soton out of steam and with a much higher backline than under boring Jose. A very decent half of football, that. Clear intent from Mason.

Funnily, the first half looked like Mason had called Mourinho the day before the game. 'So, if you were managing Spurs, what would you do...?' Same pedestrian performance, same awful mistakes at the back, same lack of ideas going forward. ANd that was against the worst Premier League team in 2021.

Fortunately, Southampton imploded almost as soon as Ings got injured and there was only one team looking like they could win this game, once Bale got the equaliser.

All in all, I have to say I'm not on the same wavelength as a lot of people on here. Rome wasn't built in a day but considering the opposition, that was an average performance at best. Also, I still don't understand how we could slip into the Top 4 with this squad of players, who were second-best to Soton for an hour or so. And we were supposed to play Real Madrid and Barça every other week? Give me a break! Still, a win's a win but we will have to up our game and change our attitude a fair bit against decent opposition if we want to put together a run of results.

On the other hand, the good news is that my first impressions are almost always wide off the mark (shows I much I know), so that bodes well for the future!

Funnily, the first half looked like Mason had called Mourinho the day before the game. 'So, if you were managing Spurs, what would you do...?' Same pedestrian performance, same awful mistakes at the back, same lack of ideas going forward. ANd that was against the worst Premier League team in 2021.

Fortunately, Southampton imploded almost as soon as Ings got injured and there was only one team looking like they could win this game, once Bale got the equaliser.

All in all, I have to say I'm not on the same wavelength as a lot of people on here. Rome wasn't built in a day but considering the opposition, that was an average performance at best. Also, I still don't understand how we could slip into the Top 4 with this squad of players, who were second-best to Soton for an hour or so. And we were supposed to play Real Madrid and Barça every other week? Give me a break! Still, a win's a win but we will have to up our game and change our attitude a fair bit against decent opposition if we want to put together a run of results.

On the other hand, the good news is that my first impressions are almost always wide off the mark (shows I much I know), so that bodes well for the future!
Several months' worth of minimal attacking coaching (allegedly) and erosion of confidence (beyond a doubt) doesn't disappear overnight, and Southampton were pressing extremely hard. Which is exactly what I would have instructed them to do in that situation.

You could see the confidence building through the second half. Towards the end there was some decent one-touch attacking play too.

Hopefully it's a sign of more recovery to come. We've got a puncher's chance on Sunday, especially if Kane is fit. I wonder if Mason would have the balls to start him on the bench, unlike various other managers?

Last edited:

I think you're ignoring some very good substitutions too. Especially Winks, who really helped us drive forward with consistency. We were brave second-half and pushed a higher line/pressed more. Might also be worth considering what these players have been through in the last 96 hours, from Mourinho to being blindsided to wondering if their international careers were toast to working with a new manager who was also a team-mate. That's a lot for anyone to deal with. I'd say you might want to focus on the second-half and enjoy the glass as half-full. BTW I enjoy greatly our discussions; we may not agree too much, but they are fun and certainly keep me onside with other perspectives!

That second half was a much better watch.
I don't know if Mason will be able to salvage much from what's left of the season, but the feeling the players would have had walking off the pitch tonight knowing they had turned a game in our favour for a change should lift their confidence.

I also liked the way Bale spoke afterwards about "helping the new manager settle in". Yes, it was in answer to a question about the super league events, so he could just have been using that as a distraction, but he seemed to speak with a genuine warmth.

That second half was a much better watch.
I don't know if Mason will be able to salvage much from what's left of the season, but the feeling the players would have had walking off the pitch tonight knowing they had turned a game in our favour for a change should lift their confidence.

I also liked the way Bale spoke afterwards about "helping the new manager settle in". Yes, it was in answer to a question about the super league events, so he could just have been using that as a distraction, but he seemed to speak with a genuine warmth.

I'll put my neck on the line here. I think we'll be beat on Sunday. I just hope we make a game of it. Bit I think v Sheff U, Leeds, Wolves, Villa and Leicester, we will pick up a lot of points.

Tactics Tim struggled against the big teams in his reign with us but he did well against teams who we were better than. Ole is the same at Man U. Beats the brick teams, struggles v the good teams although he's improving on that score. That to me says inexperience for a manager makes it difficult to beat teams that are better than you. For Mason to beat City, he has to pull a rabbit out of the hat because they're a better team than us. However, against all of the above, bar Leicester maybe, we have a better team. I think by not being Jose, by being good mates with a lot of the squad and by encouraging them to play proper football, he can get results in those games.

So, you heard it here first, we'll lose on Sunday but we'll get a European place and may even flirt with the CL places.

I think you're ignoring some very good substitutions too. Especially Winks, who really helped us drive forward with consistency. We were brave second-half and pushed a higher line/pressed more. Might also be worth considering what these players have been through in the last 96 hours, from Mourinho to being blindsided to wondering if their international careers were toast to working with a new manager who was also a team-mate. That's a lot for anyone to deal with. I'd say you might want to focus on the second-half and enjoy the glass as half-full. BTW I enjoy greatly our discussions; we may not agree too much, but they are fun and certainly keep me onside with other perspectives!

Yeah you do wonder what could have been done on the training pitch over Monday & Tuesday with all that was going on with the sacking and The Super League furore - that's what he's got to deal with though so sink or swim i suppose.

I'm sure the talk of 6 wins from 6 as well as a cup upset is pie in the sky optimism and we all know he's just here to steer us through to the end of the season which is when the real work can begin.

Yeah you do wonder what could have been done on the training pitch over Monday & Tuesday with all that was going on with the sacking and The Super League furore - that's what he's got to deal with though so sink or swim i suppose.

I'm sure the talk of 6 wins from 6 as well as a cup upset is pie in the sky optimism and we all know he's just here to steer us through to the end of the season which is when the real work can begin.

Indeed. I'll buy it until it is not though. As we all will I'm sure mate.

Very pleased for Ryan and also pleased for ourselves that we won.

Note the vast majority of the 'narrative' of that game was down to Soton - they were sprinting like crazy for the first 50 mins, we could hardly take a step without 4 players hunting us down

It's no wonder we couldn't string anything together

They they completely gassed out and we could play. The end.
True... but it also helped that SCBC’s star striker went off around the same time as they stopped pressing... Hopefully our Ryan proves to be a lucky manager and we finish the season with a few more winning performances like that 2nd half.

No improvement from last two matches imo.
Didn't see any bounce from the dead cat too.
Dier seems to be enjoying more freedom now though I still think he should be more disciplined.

Happy to be challenged with xG stats or whatever.

On the positive I like how Mason used all the players including starting and subbing Bale to get the most of what we have. Bale's goal is a very difficult piece of skill... Amazing to watch over and over again.

Amazingly Soton have a very young team at around 24-25 years of age on average. Quite a number of young players there with good potential. Aside from Ward Prowse their entire defence did well to stifle our attacks. But they lost their direction after Ings and then later Walcott went off. Much to think about around on pitch experience and leadership... Do we lack players with that kind of influence?

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Best second half we've played in ages. Still a lot of rust, the players looked very short on confidence at times and of course being without Kane means we struggle more.

Quite a few positives to take particularly from that second half. City will be extremely difficult, but this is a better starting point than the Everton game at least.

True... but it also helped that SCBC’s star striker went off around the same time as they stopped pressing... Hopefully our Ryan proves to be a lucky manager and we finish the season with a few more winning performances like that 2nd half.

Actually thought it changed a bit in the first half too after the opening 20 odd minutes. We got more initiative and started pushing them back. Quite a common game development with a team that press that hard from the start.

That changed when they scored, our confidence is fragile at best and we weren't able to raise our game until the second half. Would have been interesting to see how that first half would have developed if they hadn't scored.

That's what message boards are all about, isn't it? It's a matter of perspective and, more often than not, your own state of mind colors your impression of a game, one way or another. I'll add that I have never have a problem with being proved wrong (or with people disagreeing), particularly if that means we keep on winning! Arguing is a bit of a lost art, but I do enjoy reading different views.

We looked like a relegation team first half, second half we looked like a team that knows it could be relegated but won't go without a fight.
Maybe this year the fairytale end of season escape will be spurs.

Back