• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT***Tottenham Hotspur FC v Woolwich Wanckers

Has anybody else had the "parked the bus" comment from gooners today?

You're meant to dominate games to get any credit at the emirates it seems

We did, if we had lost we would have been furious with the team, tactics and levy. We scored with pretty much the only chance we created.

On the other hand, it worked and we nearly sneeked off with a win...small margins and all.

If they make fun of you/your team, they aren't real friends!

We did, if we had lost we would have been furious with the team, tactics and levy. We scored with pretty much the only chance we created.

On the other hand, it worked and we nearly sneeked off with a win...small margins and all.

Did you miss the first half mate?

Really pleased to see how pragmatic Poch set us up for this game - and that he has a plan B; but for a Lamela mare (has he cost us 3 points in the last two games? I love Lamela btw) Poch would have become an instant legend.

However, sadly, I think this game also showed how mediocre our attacking play has become against the top sides in the last year or so. Whilst our tactics were spot on, when we did go forward and try and exploit the huge gaps that Arsenal often left, our inter-passing up front was often woeful. I don't believe Arsenal got behind our defence once, whilst we did several times and how many times did we force Chesney to make a save? In fact we could and possible should have been two-up before the break. I was cursing Chadli like you wouldn't believe just before half-time, even mentioning his misses in the March NLD at WHL!

Also, who was our outlet when we were under the cosh in the last half-an-hour? We didn't have anyone and it litersally was back-to-the-wall. Imagine if we had Bale in that time, I think we would have murdered them!

Arsenal in the end were there for the taking and a second goal would likely have done that for us (Chadli's eventual goal should have been number two), but a point was more than I was expecting so I am overall happy.

If we were as ruthless as Chelski we could have been hailing a NLD brutality caused by US! However, baby steps and we just have to hope that performance can be repeated in our next away game at the Etihad (though they will be harder to keep out than Arsenal imo as they have much more of an aerial threat imo).

It's one thing playing deep away from home, but it's a different kettle of fish forcing the issue at home AND still satying solid at the back. It will feel a false dawn if we go and get beaten by Soton next sunday and have Sadio Mane wipe the floor with the likes of Naughton....[-o<

COYS

Very pleased we didn't get hammered and also very pleased two of their players went off with injuries (I know, I know, I shouldn't be happy when a professional player gets hurt).

Not true!!!! Sorry, this is wildly inaccurate. We played deep and we designed our system to hit them on the counter. Had we possessed great composure and quality in the first-half, we'd have had three clear one-on-one chances.

To say we 'parked the bus' is, IMO, lazy mate. We played with a system designed to contain, but we had some very good chances. I'm disappointed we only made one of these situations count...

Very pleased we didn't get hammered and also very pleased two of their players went off with injuries (I know, I know, I shouldn't be happy when a professional player gets hurt).

Correct. No-one likes to see professional players hurt. Scumbag wanckers, however, are fair game. So in the words of that mighty philosopher Bobby McFerrin, don't worry, be happy!!!!

Fantastic quote from AW in The Metro this morning : "against Tottenham we would have won had we not conceded the first goal" not **** Sherlock, guess what we'd have won had we not conceded the second goal!

Fantastic quote from AW in The Metro this morning : "against Tottenham we would have won had we not conceded the first goal" not **** Sherlock, guess what we'd have won had we not conceded the second goal!

Well they don't (didn't?) call him the professor for nothing.

I love quotes like that. I dont know what people think football is about - is it just one opponent bending over while the other team batter them?

Not true!!!! Sorry, this is wildly inaccurate. We played deep and we designed our system to hit them on the counter. Had we possessed great composure and quality in the first-half, we'd have had three clear one-on-one chances.

To say we 'parked the bus' is, IMO, lazy mate. We played with a system designed to contain, but we had some very good chances. I'm disappointed we only made one of these situations count...

First of all there is nothing wrong with 'parking the bus', its a legitimate tactic - you can call it whatever you want "a counter attack", "containing system" or whatever you wish. As we have proven we aren't good enough to go-toe-to-toe with top 4/5 sides.

I also agree with the statement that we had some good chances but only because some means more than one (we had two)!

I do agree that most fans are very lazy in the way that they judge a performance based on a scoreline. We gone to the Emirates many many times and played better than that and lost.

I think people are confusing 'ambition' and 'not playing well'. Some could say that we sat back and contained them which doesnt really show much ambition (im one of them) BUT we did play well in our containing and defensive game. Our attacking game wasnt up to scratch which let us down. Its ironic really as normally we berate the defense but this time it was our attack that was sloppy. Sloppy passes and sloppy shots.

dont think so but i posted that on page behind.. very good write up

If the contention is that we've turned some sort of corner because we've managed to raise our game against one of the top sides, though, I'm not quite convinced. I think we very often do do exactly that. It's the lethargy, complacency and lack of professionalism we respond with when faced with so-called lesser opposition that is more of a worry for me, and I'm yet to see any evidence that is being (can be?) addressed with the current squad — in fact, quite the reverse.

First of all there is nothing wrong with 'parking the bus', its a legitimate tactic - you can call it whatever you want "a counter attack", "containing system" or whatever you wish. As we have proven we aren't good enough to go-toe-to-toe with top 4/5 sides.

I also agree with the statement that we had some good chances but only because some means more than one (we had two)!

I do agree that most fans are very lazy in the way that they judge a performance based on a scoreline. We gone to the Emirates many many times and played better than that and lost.

I think what Stef was trying to say is that 'Parking the bus' is generally considered a tactic for teams who are happy to take a draw. They sit in, and don't ever attempt to attack. The way we set up we were actually trying to win the game, Poch just felt that we had the best chance of doing this by sitting in deep and hitting them on the counter so from that angle we didn't 'Park the Bus' which is generally used in the media as a derogatory phrase.

They only carved us open twice in the whole game. We had at least 3 other chances besides the goal to score.

But 'parking the bus' would mean you stuff the side with DMs, one striker and zero intention on anything other than containment. We did it once, years ago at Stamford Bridge which is when Mourinho shouted the phrase.

I absolutely vehemently disagree that we did anything like that against the filth. We sat deep with a containment game which saw us able to break at some degree of pace (not enough - oh for Bale!) and in the end had several very very good opportunities which we failed to take.

We are absolutely not good enough right now to go toe-to-toe with Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project. The rest? With belief, absolutely. Liverpool at home was a toning I agree, but we 'should' be able to compete with them TBH.

I should revise my use of the word 'chances' to 'opportunities' because again, had the final ball been better on three occasions in the first-half two in the second, we'd have had five more one-on-ones. Seriously! Check out the highlights, and we actually got to the brink of slicing them a fair few times…problem is we either chose the wrong option, held onto it too long or (in the case of the Mason reverse to Eriksen) the right ball was slightly over-played and the runner hesitated slightly resulting in the sort of margin that prevents a clear scoring pop.

Good discussion BTW...

Back