1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

***OMT***Tottenham Hotspur FC v West Ham

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by thfcsteff, 16 Dec 2013.

1. mouville

mouville Kevin Scott

Been fretting about Ade going off and Sherwood's negative approach to defending a 1-0 lead. But ******** to that. I like your approach to the scenario. sod the tactical analysis, look forward to the probable outcome in the next round match up, and concentrate on getting in someone who knows how to manage a top, top team like Tottingham Hotspurs! COYS

2. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Excellent point.

3. Jordinho

Jordinho John Cameron Staff Member

[tweet]413441372755357696[/tweet]
    [tweet]413441602783559680[/tweet]
    [tweet]413441882321326080[/tweet]
    [tweet]413441976584138752[/tweet]

4. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Christian Ziege

True but Fryers is a better centre half than Capoue. I've seen that. He's a much better header of the ball.
    Honestly I dont think Sherwood put any real thought into how West Ham were gonna play against us.

5. 90291Spur

90291Spur Christian Ziege

Not too many long words. Well dun me ol son.

6. Superted

Superted Jonathan Woodgate

Our next manager might say that the result left him scratching his head at how we lost it.

7. Spurs@HKMaOnShan

Spurs@HKMaOnShan Rohan Ricketts

Harry: this is one of those games

8. Whiffler

Whiffler Jermaine Jenas

If those are genuine Sherwood-isms, then I'm utterly bereft of hope/trust in him. I would expect something concomitant with his salary.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

PS - concomitant for hire when all turgids are exhausted

9. Whiffler

Whiffler Jermaine Jenas

Fixed that for you - ay least he would find the experience rewarding.

10. lurker of old

lurker of old Anthony Gardner

Interesting that Sherwood says the players had run out of gas in the last 15 minutes. Or is he just covering up for poor substitutions?
    I was at the game tonight and I liked the way we were playing quite a lot of the time. But crosses in the air to Defoe? Not great! Nor were our corners (as usual).
    Great to see a motivated Adebayor though. Agree with the others that Tim Sherwood wanted to make a statement with the formation etc, and it nearly worked.

11. chancer

chancer Gudni Bergsson

Wasn't too upset at the time, but the more I think about it, the more I think this was a terrible game to lose.

12. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Michael Carrick

Haha...haven't seen the game so can't respond too much on the forum tonight, but it doesn't surprise me that if we played a 'come out of the blocks fast and impose ourselves' strategy that we look tired towards the end of the halves. It's in direct contrast to what we would look like under AVB, which is slower at the beginning of games but more likely to see out a result if we had taken the lead - as we had conserved the energy we needed.

Maybe some food for thought for the 'football is a simple game, we should just go out there to score and defend later' crowd? All in the spirit of debate of course :)

13. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Chris Perry

Can you imagine how poor that game would have been with avbs plodding football and big SAMs extreme bus parking.

14. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Christian Ziege

We would have been fine though if we had 2 centre halfs who could head the ball. It was embarrassing. If Dawson had have been back there we would have seen it out.
    I can send you a link to down the full game if you can bare watching it.

15. Stenno

Stenno Banned

Ergh. It was a joke initially, but I think it may have to be for real now.

16. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Embarassing losing to those ****s not once but twice, thanks THFC for falling apart under pressure at the end again and making my life hell at work today..

Cheers

17. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Michael Carrick

Would be sweet if you could mate!

18. Spurs7891

Spurs7891 Jermaine Jenas

Really disappointed but not really surprised ! Well, blame it on Levy ! How can you expect to win a Cup match after sacking the manager just 2 days ago ? It is really stupid to sack the manager just before an important Cup match. Levy did it with GG in 2001 and he has done it yet again. Felt more confident with AVB in Cup matches as we were unbeaten in all Cup matches this season. After the way we won the penalty shootout against Hull, really thought we will go all the way to win the Cup this season. Levy has really spoiled it for us !

We did play well for the first 20-25 minutes but after that our performance dropped. For all our domination, we just couldn't score until Adebayor got the goal. It was a well-worked goal with Defoe's inch perfect cross gifting the goal to Adebayor. But after that, we just couldn't kill them off. And it was a stupid decision by Sherwood to take off Adebayor when we were just leading by 1-0. I think Sherwood's inexperience as a manager showed in that decision. Really disappointed we conceded 2 goals in the last 10 mins to lose.

19. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Also in the spirit of debate, the problem under AVB is that we often failed to score - at all! Arsenal, city, Liverscum, wet spam, Everton, Newcastle. In all the games, with the possible exception of Newcastle, we didn't even much look like scoring. Same as in games against Palace, Swansea and Hull, where we couldn't score from open play.

Regarding late reverses, AVB suffered from these too in his early games, Norwich and WBA spring to mind, and despite what you say about conserving energy, also wasnt immune from them later on like at Everton and Liverpool. He also had a world class Bale to save us on soooo many occasions.

Last night our problems were:

1. We failed to score when we were so much on top in the first 35 minutes - easy chances missed by Defoe, Ade and Lennon.

2. The substitutions were virtually forced on us and completely disrupted the rythm and shape of the team.

3. Our centre back pairing was unable to cope with the aerial bombardment. The one game Dawson, Verts and Kaboul were really needed, two were injured and the other suspended. Hardly Sherwoods fault.

I like this approach and would like to see it given more chance to succeed when all our players are fit. If we are are going to not succeed, I would rather watch entertaining football than the dirge we have witnessed so far this season.

20. scaramanga

scaramanga Mel Hopkins Staff Member

Lobbing in aerial crosses against a defence like West Ham's will never, ever work.