1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jon, 12 May 2019.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 4 Jun 2019.
  1. Lloris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rose

54.7%
  3. Sissoko

5.7%
  4. Winks

39.6%
  1. fernadez

fernadez Nico Claesen

You gotta have people that have played the game involved in these rule changing decisions, it's the only way.

Right now everything is for sponsorship, and money. The idea of a 0-0 draw scares them as they believe that goals equals entertainment.

Robbo, MKSpur and thfcsteff like this.
  2. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

VAR is a joke and this is just another example of it being so.

3. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Colin Calderwood Staff Member

This.
    Bunch of clams.

4. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

I'm actulaly pleased our officials have come out and said that. Yes it hurts. But at the time for both Rose and Sissoko, I didn't think either were pens. They were under the rules of the day arguably, but should they have been pens in a rational, logical sport? No. At least our English game and officials have some sense.

5. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Luka Modric

Neither would’ve been ones under any sensible refereering
    European football may have better refs but their softer with a lot of decisions

SpurMeUp likes this.
  6. Jon

Jon Chris Armstrong

Scouse style petition to get the game replayed?

7. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Alf Ramsey

Reality is even in the PL most refs would have given that Sissoko penalty. Not saying they should've, just that they would have. Arm raised in the box would have been enough.

Time to move on.

8. Bullet

Bullet Jimmy McCormick

That is bizarre. I would expect at least two per game. There are so many big moments per game with possible red cards, yellow, penalty, offside... way more than Riley mentions?

El Guepardo and galeforce like this.
  9. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Teemu Tainio

Could you post the full article please?

10. 90291Spur

90291Spur Frederic Kanoute

I hate this thread with a passion.

nayenezgani and El Guepardo like this.
  11. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Teemu Tainio

I hate that referee with a passion. He gave the penalty so confidently after 25 seconds, minimal VAR input and a game ruined. That shouldn't simply be forgotten behind the red haze of Liverpoo winning their sixth European Cup.

12. Roland Beurre

Roland Beurre John Scales

I think I misquoted him. I was discussing this with a friend and he reckons 2 per full fixture list is way too low. I'll see if I can find the original article (it was behind a paywall) but in retrospect, he was probably talking about occasions where the ref goes over to the off-field monitor - something the refs' organisation is trying to discourage with the mantra "trust the officials on the field" - rather than VAR decisions.

Apologies to all; this is how misconceptions get started.

13. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

you'd expect it to get that once its a few years in, once players realise they are going to get caught, they'll stop cheating

14. Roland Beurre

Roland Beurre John Scales

So, much as I'd like to stick it to the Dirty Digger and reprint the whole article from The Times, it is behind a paywall so I will just quote a couple of bits under fair use policy.

The full article is here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/english-game-will-be-lenient-on-handball-mike-riley-rjbf5pztt

Despite the handball law, which came into force across all competitions last month, Riley thinks that there is flexibility for English football to interpret it in a way that will not cause a big increase in the number of spot-kicks.

Premier League officials would need to be convinced that the defender was making a deliberate attempt to make the barrier bigger rather than extending their arms for reasons of balance.

VARs have been used by the PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Ltd ] in 69 trial matches and that has led to 14 decisions being changed. Riley said on average that a review which stops the game is used once in every five games.

So, a fairly sensible approach to keeping the game flowing and eliminating the need for defenders to keep their hands behind their backs when trying to block.