• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From The Times.

"The referees’ chief Mike Riley has revealed that video assistant referees will not impose the tough line on handballs in the Premier League next season that has led to numerous controversial penalties in the Women’s World Cup and Champions League.

Riley, the managing director of the Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL), said that many of the penalties awarded for handball in the Women’s World Cup and Champions League — including those awarded against Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose and Moussa Sissoko in the Champions League quarter-final and final respectively — would not be given in the Premier League."

Just so you know.

A bit more from the article.

“Sissoko’s a really interesting one,” Riley said. “In real time it looks a clear penalty. With VAR you can actually see what he’s doing, and he’s not interested in trying to block the cross, he’s saying to the covering defender, ‘Get over there and fill the space.’

“That’s not a deliberate act of extending the arm away from the body. You also see the ball deflects off the chest on to the arm, and if you put everything together and apply the philosophy we do here, we wouldn’t say that was handball.”

Well that makes me feel a lot better :(

Whilst the new rule is clearly problematic, is it right for different associations to decide how to interpret/(or whether to) implement it? Doesn't that take away from the intended purpose of VAR?

Whilst the new rule is clearly problematic, is it right for different associations to decide how to interpret/(or whether to) implement it? Doesn't that take away from the intended purpose of VAR?
Let's face it the rule change is the most laughable ever so let's just be grateful the PL are proposing to apply a bit of common sense. Hopefully that in turn will lead to yet more controversy such that we end up going back to where we started from.

In the full article, it makes it fairly clear that the interpretation has been tailored to suit the style of English football. Riley does not say it in so many words but he implies that in some leagues a five-minute break in the <ahem> action to review a decision would hardly interrupt the tempo, whereas in English football, breaking up the play would be regarded as a serious interruption.

Riley expects two VAR incident per 10 games of footie, i.e. two VARs per full-fixture list for the Premiership.

Those waste of space meddling bastards at uefa/fifa whoever, who try to justify their wage packet have quite possibly cost us the 2019 champions league.

Utter clams the lot of them.

You gotta have people that have played the game involved in these rule changing decisions, it's the only way.

Right now everything is for sponsorship, and money. The idea of a 0-0 draw scares them as they believe that goals equals entertainment.

A bit more from the article.

“Sissoko’s a really interesting one,” Riley said. “In real time it looks a clear penalty. With VAR you can actually see what he’s doing, and he’s not interested in trying to block the cross, he’s saying to the covering defender, ‘Get over there and fill the space.’

“That’s not a deliberate act of extending the arm away from the body. You also see the ball deflects off the chest on to the arm, and if you put everything together and apply the philosophy we do here, we wouldn’t say that was handball.”

I'm actulaly pleased our officials have come out and said that. Yes it hurts. But at the time for both Rose and Sissoko, I didn't think either were pens. They were under the rules of the day arguably, but should they have been pens in a rational, logical sport? No. At least our English game and officials have some sense.

I'm actulaly pleased our officials have come out and said that. Yes it hurts. But at the time for both Rose and Sissoko, I didn't think either were pens. They were under the rules of the day arguably, but should they have been pens in a rational, logical sport? No. At least our English game and officials have some sense.

Neither would’ve been ones under any sensible refereering
European football may have better refs but their softer with a lot of decisions

Back