• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT The Mighty THFC vs Abu Dhabi City

So let's say we played to our true level/potential, do you think we could have won the game? Even with all their wealth on the pitch and on the bench?

I think we could have. Thats my point. I think its testament to us we our disappointed in ourselves going up a ridiculously expensive side.

A side that cost half a billion, didnt smash us - we undid ourselves.

The same side that has dismantled all comers this year (as expected, €500m and all that...)

We had 30 mill Sissoko on the bench who came on for Dele who cost 5 mill......where is the advantage;)

One bad deal doesnt undo €500m spent on the best players available. City have had their duds as well, but buy enough €50m+ players and youll have far more quality than most.

What went wrong? I think we showed too much respect. Caught in between sitting off because of how good they are and playing our normal pressing game. We were undone by our own lack of confidence. When we did get up to speed and play more naturally we caused them problems - but were already 2 behind and battling uphill. We have done similar a few times in the past, though this is the first time in a long time. Its next on the list of "how are we progressing" benchmarks for me. Going into a game like this and imposing our game (regardless of result).

And THAT is precisely why I don't think we have yet achieved a winning mentality!

It has happened too many times in key games where we start too slowly and give our opponents a key advantage. I agree that this is indeed the next "how are we progressing " benchmark. But we aren't there at this moment in time.

I think this is down to Poch and the coaching staff. They need to send the team out suitably revved up and ready to compete from the first whistle. Our record this season is poor in retrieving a winning position from when we go behind - something like only 3 in 13. That's not good enough for a team in our position. Poch and his team need to rectify this asap. And if it isn't being done on the pitch, he needs to be changing things much quicker to sort it out.

This is a reoccurring problem which makes question those who prepare the team.
Something needs to change. Because it’s costing us unnecessarily.

And THAT is precisely why I don't think we have yet achieved a winning mentality!

It has happened too many times in key games where we start too slowly and give our opponents a key advantage. I agree that this is indeed the next "how are we progressing " benchmark. But we aren't there at this moment in time.

I think this is down to Poch and the coaching staff. They need to send the team out suitably revved up and ready to compete from the first whistle. Our record this season is poor in retrieving a winning position from when we go behind - something like only 3 in 13. That's not good enough for a team in our position. Poch and his team need to rectify this asap. And if it isn't being done on the pitch, he needs to be changing things much quicker to sort it out.

How do you think Man Citys previous 3 games reflect on their mentality?

How do you think Man Citys previous 3 games reflect on their mentality?

Are you deliberately avoiding the evidence of your eyes? Without wishing to open this old chestnut, can't you understand that a winning mentality doesn't mean winning every game?

I think you would agree that City were competitive in all those games (especially the last two). They were undone by a freakish combination of tinkle poor finishing, bad luck, bad refereeing decisions, exceptional goal keeping saves and worldies scored against them. At no point, was their attitude or general approach to games significantly worse than their opponents.

This is completely different to ours last night - or in first halves in too many games this season.

Classic.

A winning mentality doesnt mean winning every game. But losing a game proves we dont have one. And, of course, its only the special game P55 picks that will finally get us over the line - where the next morning we will wake with a winning mentality power up...

Makes for entertaining reading at least.

Emirates Marketing Project losing 3 'clutch' games on the spin that they were favourites for in each, throwing away a lead in one where they had totally dominated their opponents and then fell to pieces as soon as the opposition were gifted a goal (Juventus at home anyone??) Amn a CL knockout tie where they were soundly beaten by a lesser team over two legs - ( a repeat of the United game where they took the lead and dominated play but fell apart when their opponents pulled a goal back) can't be used to highlight a poor mentality but our game with the best side in the league which in the grand scheme of things has little baring on the league and was actually spoke of as a 'free game' after our win away to Chelsea (which again seems to have been forgotten) can be used as an example of a lacking mentality and then he has the cheek to accuse others of focussing on individual games - staggering really.

Last edited:
You guys talk like classic losers who really can't grasp what a winning mentality entails. I feel sorry for you.

Something I noticed a lot yesterday and have seen in the past is how often city run wide and then cut back across the box for someone to run on too

It reminded me of Aaron Lennon

I disagree Steff. At the start Dembele was getting pressed and couldn't get in to the game. But in the lead up to our goal Dembele had come into the game more and actually moved the ball well. Our weakness defensively was definitely on the Trippier, Sanchez side ably "assisted" by a poor performance from Lloris.

As we know Verts has been imperious this season and while Sanchez has had a good start in some big games, notably Juventus and yesterday his inexperience alongside trippier' defensive ineptitude has been exposed. In fact we were lucky that Diouf was pants or he would have made us pay last week at Stoke.

For me we have definitely missed Toby who is at least the same level as Verts.
Now I understand Poch has his reasons for not playing Toby and I trust him. But we need experienced cover whilst Sanchez develops, he is only 21after all. So I think if Toby goes he needs to be replaced with another experienced defender.

Make no mistake Mourinho will target our right side next Saturday and he has the players to do it.

Dembele gets targeted by elite managers because they know he is a heartbeat for us but one which can be stopped. Cut him and starved Eriksen of space. It was only when Alli dropped a bit deeper that we started to gain any traction (in fact it looked to me like they swapped for a while). And yes. Agree re: Tripps/Sanchez side. My issue is the B&W mob who simply see Davo losing one on one and suddenly it is all on him. Rubbish. There were several factors, not the least of which was our defensive midfield being pressed and Tripps being soft on Sane.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
The press was as disjointed as I've seen in a long time.
If the front 3 go it has to be followed up, but dele, Dembele or dier never seemed to have pushed up to cover.
Don't think Harry is fit, especially for a game of this intensity.
I actually am beginning to think we play better when we don't have a break. 2 games a week we seldom drop standards.

Again, for me, Hazza and Dembele were key to our problems yesterday. It will all be fine of course - Hazza needs fitness - but I think Moose is an issue.

Pretty much this.

City are decent, let's get it right. And they gave us a dose of ''deer in the headlights' last night. As you commented, as soon as they look slick and get the one touch flow going you realise the ball is moving faster than we can run, and as a player you don't know whether to stick or twist. Maybe Poch should step in at this point?

What City do well is create overloads. They are quite happy for KDB Silva or Gundogan to come right over wide and high up the pitch to team up with walker and sterling or sane and Delph. Of course this is risky because it leaves the middle very empty (probably why the scousers have success when they succeed with their rabid press) BUT generally they have so much confidence in there passing they think it's worth that risk.

We still have our men (dembele/dier) sticking to the middle and not helping out wide so Tripps/Davies get exposed hoping that Dele or Pamela come back to help and also relying on Jan or Sanchez to come across from the centre.

Of course this process is reactionary and disjoints us and pulls us all over the place ironically creating space elsewhere for other City players (remember they're moving the ball quickly amongst quick players).

They've done it to many teams, and you can wish for all the fast starts you want, but City haven't come to be steam rollered.

We are very very competitive on the whole. We generally only struggle (but even then sometimes overcome) against other top sides now. Those top sides come prepared as well, they are battles and some we will lose. We will have another (probably ugly one) next week.

Early on,Dier was dropping into the CBs so as they could split and try to cover where our FBs were not! Again, letting Moose have the ball and try to twinkle toe his way out of deep /halfway line areas was a major weakness that Pep knew. There was a passage of play in front of the benches which
was like little kids, the ball pinging around a 20sq ft area for a minute or so. Ironically, the much-maligned Dier switched the play several times in similar positions.

You guys talk like classic losers who really can't grasp what a winning mentality entails. I feel sorry for you.

One could argue that if Daniel Levy was a "winner" he would sack Poch at the end of the year( bear with me here) and appoint a proven "winner", perhaps someone like Ancilotti who has won multiple trophies compared to Poch's zero. From a personal perspective I would hate that .
I feel that we are all on a Journey together and as this relatively young team grows and develops it will take the final step and win trophies. Again, personally I would hate to be like Chelsea, hiring and firing people with no connection to their club albeit with an impressive trophy cabinet. If that means that I lack a winning mentality , please go ahead and feel sorry for me. Perhaps I am a romantic fool whose dreams of watching us win the league the right way before I pass will not bear fruit.
With regards to yesterday, yes, Poch certainly made some errors and imho is on occasion culpable of not changing things quickly enough and yesterday probably got the team selection wrong. But as I've said before, he's learning too.He did great against Chelsea! We're going great guns with the odd blip . Enjoy!
Edited to add, Coom-baya my Lord, coom-baya

Back