• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Spurs vs Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.

Spurs Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wasnt intending on picking him out, was posting thoughts on things in the game but dinner was ready and Id only got that far so posted it and figured Id revisit later.

On Sissoko - its nothing personal. He has improved, by his standards, its just that whenever I watch him he is a weak link not nearly at the level of his peers - and it shows. Thats not his fault, thats the clubs - he should never have been bought, or kept, or not sufficiently replaced. Thats all on them.

Further thoughts: Trippier is not a full back.

A good wing back, absolutely. And should we pursue a 3-5-2 type formation as we have in the past, he certainly has a big part to play.

BUT - in a flat back 4 - Trippier doesnt belong.

Id even play him as a Beckham like RM before putting him in defence.

I think his quality on the ball is without question at this point. But defensively he is simply a liability.

Trippier agree can’t defend in a 4!
Sissoko is a total mystery to me as to why we bought him!
But buy we did and now we have to get the best out of him what ever that is!
Not his fault though and also l don’t think he could do the Fernandinho role.

Trippier agree can’t defend in a 4!
Sissoko is a total mystery to me as to why we bought him!
But buy we did and now we have to get the best out of him what ever that is!
Not his fault though and also l don’t think he could do the Fernandinho role.

He was the wrong buy from the start, not his fault.
He really doesnt work/fit in the team, also not his fault.
He just isnt good enough for this side, not his fault.
He is given the wrong role to do, I assume, again not his fault.

For all concerned he really should be moved on, Im sure he would look twice the player if he went to a team that suited him more - and then we would get to replace him!

As to, what to do with him while he is here? For me its as I said, Parker/Palacios like defensive workhorse. Dont let him past the halfway line, chase, win, give it simple. I think he is capable of it, and if we are gong to play him its where he is of most benefit to the team.

I know he is highly rated, but honestly I didnt even notice Rice was playing the other day. Im not sure if thats a criticism or not, either he didnt do much or he just did good, understated work (though thats usually something I really appreciate)

However - the young player - Dianaga? He looked really bright and positive to me, I liked him.

Gibbs-White looked very good, certainly one to watch.

Very different styles of player To be fair
One is a wide attacker and the other a centre back play DM

Rice has been very good and tidy when they have played when I’ve seen them

Very different styles of player To be fair
One is a wide attacker and the other a centre back play DM

Rice has been very good and tidy when they have played when I’ve seen them

Of course, but of the young players on show - he was one I thought looked really good.

Thats the catch, usually those players just doing a quiet but quality job are the ones I get really excited about.

Him? Didnt even notice him. Perhaps its because he was poor, or because he has reached peak levels of understated quality! Who knows?

I try and keep an eye for him, simply because of his reputation, but am yet to 'see it' for myself.

And he [Lewis Cook] was brilliant yesterday for Bournemouth vs Man Utd.
I thought he was poor and I wasn't surprised when he was the first player substituted off, on 68 mins. He was nowhere near good enough for a CL team.

I thought he was poor and I wasn't surprised when he was the first player substituted off, on 68 mins. He was nowhere near good enough for a CL team.
He stood out for me with that superb reverse pass which set up Bournemouth's goal.

Sissoko is precisely why the following should scare the hell out of us!

DQ8eRDcXcAAAxH5

Declan-Rice-Premier-League-2018_2019.png

DVhrTQmXkAAVA5m

Chilwell has potential but is currently less good than what we have and on a long contract at a rich club that inexplicably hates us.

Easy to decry players. Not so easy to select and advocate for them though is it?

I dont know if you noticed or not, but I was saying before the game - Sissoko plays box to box and it frustrates me, because its no good. Id much rather he sat and defended and shielded the defence, something I think he can do competently.

It is of great frustration to me that we have the like of Dembele and Winks on the field, and yet its Sissoko charging up field to provide nothing (9/10) while they sit in and cover the gaps. It should be the other way around.

With Dembele going off so early, and with a pretty lightweight front 4 on the field (Lamela excepted!) in regards to pressing etc - Sissoko needed to slip into that role I wished him to play. Sit. Cover. Win it and play it simple. With Foyth, Alderweireld and Winks around him there is litterally no reason for him to be on the ball. Just win it and play it off, and make sure our lack of a front press doesnt hurt us. Provide a foundation to play from.

Judge him by the basics? He didnt do that basic job he was so suited to. As I said above, for any good thing he did it either amounted to nothing or there was a corresponding negative.

He left Winks exposed time and again, even if he did cover Trippier on occasions. There was a bloody great gap in our midfield which Wolves could have driven a bus through again and again - the common theme? Sissoko jogging (not running) back into position having charged off (and achieved nothing).

Im not even talking missed passes, balls out of play etc - of which there were a few. Simply looking at the job he did - IMHO he didnt bring more to the team than he took out of it.

I know we would not be playing him unless we had to, its an argument Ive been slaughtered for before but its true - he is an emergency service, not a "trusted" player.

And even then, Im still disappointed. he had the opportunity to play that classic Palacios/Parker type role - had he done so (and I believe he can) I would have lauded a massive contribution to a win in a tricky game/circumstance

Sorry mate, could not disagree more. He is absolutely NOT that type of player and should never be used that way unless in an emergency (such as yesterday). His best position is in a narrow three through the middle or with at least the option to go left/right. He is absolutely never going to be a Palacios type player (they're nothing alike), ditto Parker.

One thing I find interesting is that despite the hammering you're giving him, we worked our way into a 3-0 advantage with him filling in that role. Our concessions (I think we'd agree) were largely down to other people/another person making mistakes.

Again, who do YOU want? Specifically.

Easy to decry players. Not so easy to select and advocate for them though is it?
Of course it's not, that's why we didn't buy anyone in the summer. There are very, very few players that are both good enough for Spurs and affordable enough for Spurs.

I'm not claiming to know of anyone good enough that we can get, it's just patently clear that your list won't cut it.

Sorry mate, could not disagree more. He is absolutely NOT that type of player and should never be used that way unless in an emergency (such as yesterday). His best position is in a narrow three through the middle or with at least the option to go left/right. He is absolutely never going to be a Palacios type player (they're nothing alike), ditto Parker.

One thing I find interesting is that despite the hammering you're giving him, we worked our way into a 3-0 advantage with him filling in that role. Our concessions (I think we'd agree) were largely down to other people/another person making mistakes.

Lamelas goal - he is stood like a statue 30 yards out while everyone is on their toes. Made no impact.
Mouras goal - basically the same again.
Harrys goal - similarly positioned.

I can see he might be there looking for the outball, but he is distinctly uninvolved in any of them.

Lets be blunt - I dont think he is a good player, period. I find very few redeeming features in him at this level.

Were he at West Ham Im sure he would fit in just fine, look good even, but here? He is a class apart from everyone else.

When he goes up field, he mostly wastes it. And in doing so he breaks the flow of the team. The attack just doesnt quite work fluidly.

When he goes upfield he leaves us exposed, as was evident at the weekend.

What can he do well? A defensive shift. The boy works hard and is pretty handy defensively.
What cant he do well? Technical stuff, both in vision and execution.
What do you do with a player like that? K.I.S.S. Give him a basic, simple job, that relies predominantly on work rate and simplicity - play to his strengths to get the most out of him.

People talk about these marauding runs as a strength. They arent. Yes, he can cover some ground and it looks impressive - but then what? Almost always nothing comes of it, so whats the point?

Given the choice I simply wouldnt play him. As it seems that choice has been taken away from us, Id play him as above. Let Winks/Alli/Eriksen do the football, let Sissoko provide them the secure base to do if from.

The less invovled he is in general play the better. So absolutely no thanks to putting him in a midfield position where he is in anyway particularly invovled in play.

As a secondary point, our defense is looking poor right now, and its looking exposed. Whether its Sissoko or someone else, I think it would be smart to do something about protecting them properly until we can find a stable footing.

Lamelas goal - he is stood like a statue 30 yards out while everyone is on their toes. Made no impact.
Mouras goal - basically the same again.
Harrys goal - similarly positioned.

I can see he might be there looking for the outball, but he is distinctly uninvolved in any of them.

Lets be blunt - I dont think he is a good player, period. I find very few redeeming features in him at this level.

Were he at West Ham Im sure he would fit in just fine, look good even, but here? He is a class apart from everyone else.

When he goes up field, he mostly wastes it. And in doing so he breaks the flow of the team. The attack just doesnt quite work fluidly.

When he goes upfield he leaves us exposed, as was evident at the weekend.

What can he do well? A defensive shift. The boy works hard and is pretty handy defensively.
What cant he do well? Technical stuff, both in vision and execution.
What do you do with a player like that? K.I.S.S. Give him a basic, simple job, that relies predominantly on work rate and simplicity - play to his strengths to get the most out of him.

People talk about these marauding runs as a strength. They arent. Yes, he can cover some ground and it looks impressive - but then what? Almost always nothing comes of it, so whats the point?

Given the choice I simply wouldnt play him. As it seems that choice has been taken away from us, Id play him as above. Let Winks/Alli/Eriksen do the football, let Sissoko provide them the secure base to do if from.

The less invovled he is in general play the better. So absolutely no thanks to putting him in a midfield position where he is in anyway particularly invovled in play.

As a secondary point, our defense is looking poor right now, and its looking exposed. Whether its Sissoko or someone else, I think it would be smart to do something about protecting them properly until we can find a stable footing.

Not going to go over the Sissoko stuff, he is what he is.
Your later paragraph is spot on though, our defence is getting exposed every week by a midfield that isn't functioning.
All the criticism of Trippier and Davies is masking the fact that they are being isolated and exposed and yet our two in the middle are still being outnumbered when teams break on us.
Where is the help for the defenders? A worrying thing about dier is that he looks to me as if he has a tendency to go closing down the ball when he has no chance of getting it and leaves a big gap for the opposition to play around him.
Dembele is done, has been since last season, Wanyama looks like he maybe not get back to full fitness.
Moura and lamela track back but few others seem to.

It's the same with our defending from the front and press. How many times did Harry press on Saturday, look over his shoulder to see who was following him and it was only lamela? You could see he was getting a tinkled off with it.
Our midfield looks really disjointed or uninterested.

A lot of incredibly poor moments today.

Tripps and Toby were headless, Fyoth was rash (although I feel a little for him being so exposed), likewise Winks. Son, Eriksen and Sanchez failed to come on and improve things, Kane didn’t do the basics and the ball kept coming back.

They need a rocket up the arse again.

Son assisted the first goal and built the move to feed tripper for the 2nd goal. He played 56 mins and we were 2-0 up when he went off.

I don't know what people want from him some times!

I'm all for calling out players under performing but lets not just throw names out willy nilly!

Back