• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Spurs vs Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.

Spurs Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baleforce

Ron Henry
Saturday 3rd Nov 2018, 19:45 @ Molineux Stadium, and its live, on Sky Sports, probably with Tyler and Smith.

latest

So, given the Foyth excitement, how about reverting to a back three and Trips/Rose?

JF-DS-TA

KT-HW-ED-DR

EL-HK-HMS

Keep Eriksen and Dele fresh for PSV, maybe twenty minutes each on Sat.

Do people think Foyth is currently at a level good enough to play in a game like this?
I wonder if Poch would be tempted....

Do people think Foyth is currently at a level good enough to play in a game like this?
I wonder if Poch would be tempted....
I’d be surprised. Let’s bear in mind he played well but it was against a not even full strength West Ham team. I can’t see past a Sanchez Toby partnership....

What would you do about midfield if we went back to that formation? Would you still want one defensive (Dier/Wanyama) and one progressive (Winks/Dembele) central midfielder, or are you imagining something rather different?

I think we have such versatile players anything goes really. Defensively numbers and position is more important than explicitly "defensive player" IMO.

I believe Eriksen does some of his best work a bit deeper, and Alli is a top class box to box player who gets pigeon holed as an attacking player (does superb work every game in midfield).

So, feeling bold, something like this:

...............................Lloris
..............Foyth.....Alderweireld.....Sanchez
Trippier..................................................Rose
.......................Winks.........Alli
..............................Eriksen
.....................Moura(or Son)
..................................Kane

Obviously its a starting position, not a rigid formation.

With defenders able to play the ball like these can everyone moves up the field anyway, so its not like Winks will be sitting in between our box and the centre circle.
I feel naturally Alli and Eriksen are going to find spaces all over the place, and Winks is going to find them.
Moura (or Son, or Lamela) get something of a free role to run off/past Kane
Width is obvious.

Or, maybe, we ditch Rose for Son, drop into a more orthodox back 4 when defending, but attack with he and Trippier really adding width.

I think we have such versatile players anything goes really. Defensively numbers and position is more important than explicitly "defensive player" IMO.

I believe Eriksen does some of his best work a bit deeper, and Alli is a top class box to box player who gets pigeon holed as an attacking player (does superb work every game in midfield).

With defenders able to play the ball like these can everyone moves up the field anyway, so its not like Winks will be sitting in between our box and the centre circle.
I feel naturally Alli and Eriksen are going to find spaces all over the place, and Winks is going to find them.
Width is obvious.

Or, maybe, we ditch Rose for Son, drop into a more orthodox back 4 when defending, but attack with he and Trippier really adding width.

Son as a wing-back is a step too far - we've seen that and it's terrifying. But yeah, I think that what you've got up there is better than my original suggestion, and even if one of Dele or Eriksen is rested, the other one playing deep probably makes more sense than playing Dier (or the broken Wanyama) in front of a back three. It's a newly-promoted lot who haven't lived up to early promise, we're hardly going to park the bus.

I also was super impressed by Foyth, and I love the idea of him in a back three with Toby and Davinson. Would keep Trippier further up the pitch and hopefully limit the one-on-ones that he consistently loses. Also, not a slight on Lucas, but to me, Sonny is better at absolutely everything except just a little bit of pace. We need Sonny's goal threat to take the pressure off Kane and give him more space around the box.

I'd love to see:

-------------Lloris---------
---TBA--Davinson--Foyth
Trips----------------------Davies
-------------Dier---------
------Dele--------Eriksen
-----Sonny-----Kane---------

It'll probably be:

----------Lloris---------------
Trips--DVS--TBA---Davies
---Dier----Dembele------
Dele---Eriksen---Lucas
----------Kane-----------

Width is obvious.

Ruben Neves loves that midfield.

I’d be surprised. Let’s bear in mind he played well but it was against a not even full strength West Ham team. I can’t see past a Sanchez Toby partnership....
Who were they missing? Looked very similar to the team they sent out a few days earlier in the league?

Yes, I think we need to show them a little respect. Am confident that we would be able to get at them with the quality which we've got without needing to go kamikaze with a CM of Dele and Winks. As long as we're solid, we'll win this. So 4-2-3-1 with Dier and Dembele in CM

Son as a wing-back is a step too far - we've seen that and it's terrifying. But yeah, I think that what you've got up there is better than my original suggestion, and even if one of Dele or Eriksen is rested, the other one playing deep probably makes more sense than playing Dier (or the broken Wanyama) in front of a back three. It's a newly-promoted lot who haven't lived up to early promise, we're hardly going to park the bus.

Yeah I know Son LWB wasnt Sons crowning glory - hence shifting into more of a back 4 when defending - Trippier comes RB and everyone shuffles along.

Was just a thought.

Point being, with the game being ever more non-contact, I think intelligence, positioning and tenacity are of more value than straight up "that guy is a defensive tank".

With those 3 you have 3 actual footballers, who can offer way more than defensive work - while all 3 of them put in a very good shift in that capacity. Play them as something of a core of the side, supported by a solid back 3, and I think they would be fine defensively and also a massive asset when in possession.

You underestimate just how much work each of the 3 do defensively. I think it would be harder to play through than you might anticipate.

Back