• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - SPURS vs Vitesse

The Vinny fee ended up being FAR lower (he’s out on loan again to a team of fa lower means than us).
Yep
But as discussed before they had no reason to renegotiate with us
We didn’t even have a manager here at the time
Good to see he is getting games at PSV (tho n he has played once)
If we wanted a striker (I’m not convinced we did for some reason) there was much better available at sensible prices too. Not sure why we didn’t want one which is the actual key question IMO

I didn’t mention Levy at all in my post, I know that we are skint and cutting the wage bill but our DoF still should’ve been able to land a loan deal. The fact that you have put in that sentence about Levy probably indicates how you feel yourself.

How do you know Scarlett is a better finisher than many of our backup strikers over the years? He hasn’t yet scored a goal in men’s football has he?

These experiences might improve him, they also might ruin his confidence. It is abundantly clear though that he isn’t yet ready and should be playing age group football (though admittedly above his actual age) or perhaps on loan at 3rd/4th level football (though I think he might even still be too young for that).

I have lots of faith in Scarlett, he is a great prospect, that is I want him nurtured properly and not thrown in well above his level.

I know you take any criticism of Spurs as a personal attack on your hero Levy but do you seriously think that having him as our first backup striker is good squad planning mate?

Preseason games, a couple of times he’s been offside and finished, as well as his ability in training. The kid is doing just fine. A better finisher than Janssen for example. We could have easily paid another 18m for the next Janssen. Personally I’m far happier with Scarlett. It’s not only about goals, watch him play and you can see he has real ability.

You didn’t name levy but it’s implied when you do your club bashing piece, this time about ruining a players career - by giving the lad games!

Preseason games, a couple of times he’s been offside and finished, as well as his ability in training. The kid is doing just fine. A better finisher than Janssen for example. We could have easily paid another 18m for the next Janssen. Personally I’m far happier with Scarlett. It’s not only about goals, watch him play and you can see he has real ability.

You didn’t name levy but it’s implied when you do your club bashing piece, this time about ruining a players career - by giving the lad games!
So you would rather play Scarlett and present no threat, score no goals and lose games than bring in a striker actually ready to start? That's a strange way of seeing things.

That striker could also be used in first team games when we need something different in addition to Kane or when Kane gets his inevitable injury. Or even this season where hasn't even been playing particularly well it would allow us to leave him on the bench and still present a threat.

There's no reason Scarlett could not still get minutes and even starts even with another striker around. Competition for places always good and he would likely learn more and develop sooner with more competition.

Your desire to only ever see the positive from club decisions is blinding you to what the best course of action actually would be.

So you would rather play Scarlett and present no threat, score no goals and lose games than bring in a striker actually ready to start? That's a strange way of seeing things.

It is a strange way of seeing things, one I didn't outline. Would you prefer us to have bought a Janssen? Who'd probably be less of a goal threat. Better to save our money up and buy a better player later. In the mean time we are developing a young player - who if you actually watch his performances - is doing pretty well.

That striker could also be used in first team games when we need something different in addition to Kane or when Kane gets his inevitable injury. Or even this season where hasn't even been playing particularly well it would allow us to leave him on the bench and still present a threat.

There's no reason Scarlett could not still get minutes and even starts even with another striker around. Competition for places always good and he would likely learn more and develop sooner with more competition.

Your desire to only ever see the positive from club decisions is blinding you to what the best course of action actually would be.

Again signing a striker we can afford for the sake of it, makes no sense. To get a player in who can bang the goals in consistently cost more than we had available. You'd prefer the club waste money on another Janssen or Vinicious? Rather than put the 20-30m saved towards the right player when available. The club are trying to operate smart, in the reality around them, not in lala land.

It is a strange way of seeing things, one I didn't outline. Would you prefer us to have bought a Janssen? Who'd probably be less of a goal threat. Better to save our money up and buy a better player later. In the mean time we are developing a young player - who if you actually watch his performances - is doing pretty well.

Again signing a striker we can afford for the sake of it, makes no sense. To get a player in who can bang the goals in consistently cost more than we had available. You'd prefer the club waste money on another Janssen or Vinicious? Rather than put the 20-30m saved towards the right player when available. The club are trying to operate smart, in the reality around them, not in lala land.

Vini was better than Scarlett is and would be doing better for us in the the second rate competition that is the ECL. Do you think that is even debatable? Waiting for the right player is what we've been doing for the last 5 years and guess what he has never been found. We need a backup striker that can be slotted in at short notice, Scarlett whilst a talent is no where near ready for that and the team and results are suffering due to that.

Vini was better than Scarlett is and would be doing better for us in the the second rate competition that is the ECL. Do you think that is even debatable? Waiting for the right player is what we've been doing for the last 5 years and guess what he has never been found. We need a backup striker that can be slotted in at short notice, Scarlett whilst a talent is no where near ready for that and the team and results are suffering due to that.

If Vini was any good we'd have signed him. And he wouldn't be on the bench at PSV. Of course he is more developed than Scarlett, but at 17 Scarlett holds far more promise. He's not a million miles away from Vini's ability either. So I guess you would spunk 20-30m rather than give a youth prospect a chance within the European 3rd tier cup.

If Vini was any good we'd have signed him. And he wouldn't be on the bench at PSV. Of course he is more developed than Scarlett, but at 17 Scarlett holds far more promise. He's not a million miles away from Vini's ability either. So I guess you would spunk 20-30m rather than give a youth prospect a chance within the European 3rd tier cup.

No need to look at PSV we can just compare last season to this one. I would rather a situation where we had a Vinni or similar AND Scarlett not just an unready Scarlett.

I do believe there is some merit to potentially damaging him by forcing him to play for longer than he should. The fact we subbed him with a winger kind of says it all. He should have bee. The one coming on as a sub after a game where the starting striker was ineffective.

Oh look Kane is having an awful game and we DONT have a striker to bring off the bench to replace him. But of course you think not having a backup striker is a good thing. [emoji854]

You think bringing on Vinicius in that game would have opened wham up
I think having no options is worse than having options. I think having competition for his place considering how poor he has been all season is better than having no competition.

You seem to think having no options is optimal. I honestly can't understand your attitude. Is this some misplaced desire to defend Levy when no one is even attacking him?

I think having no options is worse than having options. I think having competition for his place considering how poor he has been all season is better than having no competition.

You seem to think having no options is optimal. I honestly can't understand your attitude. Is this some misplaced desire to defend Levy when no one is even attacking him?

Having impotent options is worse than having no options because you've spent £20-30m on them, which then stops you from spending 50m the next summer. Vini wouldn't have done anything in that game. Nor would have Janssen. You know it, I know it. If anything I'd prefer Scarlett over both. Less pressure on him in a way as he's only 17.

Pre season games are played at half pace. Any footballer at any professional level can finish a chance when given time and space.

At present we have no idea how good Scarlett’s finishing ability is as he’s not yet good enough to get into goal scoring positions in games against real men.

playing him in these games is hurting our performances and results.

He is only playing as we actually really do have no other centre forwards at the club.

Having impotent options is worse than having no options because you've spent £20-30m on them, which then stops you from spending 50m the next summer. Vini wouldn't have done anything in that game. Nor would have Janssen. You know it, I know it. If anything I'd prefer Scarlett over both. Less pressure on him in a way as he's only 17.
Why are you spending £20 to £30m on ‘impotent’ options? That amount actually got Danny Ings who is far from that.

About 500% more likely than bringing Scarlett on would’ve. I’m also pretty sure that there are more strikers in the World than Vinicius mate.
That’s the key
Vinny is a reference because he was here
He scored 10 goals I think and 3 were against the dog and duck in the cup, which is sure Scarlett may have scored too
But it doenst mean he did good enough for the prem or Scarlett for that matter
We need a striker that is a genuine alternative to Kane. We had lamppost Llorente for that period and he was technically poor but effective because defenders had to deal with him. They knew he was there and they had some kind of battle
Kane today was well off the pace and we had no alternative at all

Or Daka
Or other like Weghorst (off a poor euros)
This was my post from a couple of weeks after the transfer window closed….

Somebody worth keeping an eye on for a potential striker rotation option is Adam Hlozek from Sparta Prague. Bags of skill and also has the right physique to play as a number 9. He can also play as a wide forward on either side so would improve our options up front in general. Would probably go for under £20m to whichever forward thinking club signs him.

A player that I mentioned before as a good potential option for us who I have only just seen has got away was Abdallah Sima. I see that Brighton swooped in and nabbed him from Slavia Prague on deadline day and then sent him to Stoke on loan. He would've been a very good option for us as a player who is ready physically to play now but nowhere near fulfilling his massive potential yet at 20. Apparently Brighton picked him up for an absolute bargain at only £7m, showing that there is still value in the transfer market if you look hard enough.

Lots of forwards moved clubs this summer for not outrageous fees.... Several of the below would've been good options in our squad:

Dakka (£27m)
Ings (£25m)
Cunha (£22m)
Armstrong (£16m)
Edouard (£15m)
Dia (£14m)
Mir (£14m)
Sima (£7m)
Dennis (£4m)
Borre (free)
Griezman (loan)
Correa (loan)
Vinicius (loan)
Sorloth (loan)
Simy (loan)
Calleri (loan)
Hwee Chan Hwang (loan)
Willian Jose (loan)

This was my post from a couple of weeks after the transfer window closed….

Somebody worth keeping an eye on for a potential striker rotation option is Adam Hlozek from Sparta Prague. Bags of skill and also has the right physique to play as a number 9. He can also play as a wide forward on either side so would improve our options up front in general. Would probably go for under £20m to whichever forward thinking club signs him.

A player that I mentioned before as a good potential option for us who I have only just seen has got away was Abdallah Sima. I see that Brighton swooped in and nabbed him from Slavia Prague on deadline day and then sent him to Stoke on loan. He would've been a very good option for us as a player who is ready physically to play now but nowhere near fulfilling his massive potential yet at 20. Apparently Brighton picked him up for an absolute bargain at only £7m, showing that there is still value in the transfer market if you look hard enough.

Lots of forwards moved clubs this summer for not outrageous fees.... Several of the below would've been good options in our squad:

Dakka (£27m)
Ings (£25m)
Cunha (£22m)
Armstrong (£16m)
Edouard (£15m)
Dia (£14m)
Mir (£14m)
Sima (£7m)
Dennis (£4m)
Borre (free)
Griezman (loan)
Correa (loan)
Vinicius (loan)
Sorloth (loan)
Simy (loan)
Calleri (loan)
Hwee Chan Hwang (loan)
Willian Jose (loan)
You know my thought on Daka and dusan as I started banging their drum at Christmas
I also like Weghorst and think he would be great here (plays like Antonio)

someone in here mentioned Hzolek the other day… one of the posters from Europe but I can’t remember who
The one I liked from what very little I saw abs thought would have been a good signing was Arp who went to Bayern to get no games

If Koita hadn't done his cruciate I think he would be an excellent option both for the right side and as a CF as he can play both very well.

Back