• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Spurs vs PSV ***

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think before be critical of any of the defence we should remember they had a very attacking group in front of them and the much maligned Dier was missing.

We’ve been ropey all season though. And the defending from set pieces was atrocious. That has little or nothing to do with having a defensive midfielder.

There were 3 in particular. The goal, the one where Gazza saved and the free kick at the death where we left them 2 on 1 on the back post. Brainless defending at this level. Poch needs to sort that because we’ve been utter brick on set pieces all season.

We’ve been ropey all season though. And the defending from set pieces was atrocious. That has little or nothing to do with having a defensive midfielder.

There were 3 in particular. The goal, the one where Gazza saved and the free kick at the death where we left them 2 on 1 on the back post. Brainless defending at this level. Poch needs to sort that because we’ve been utter brick on set pieces all season.

You're right about the set pieces, after their goal dele, who doesn't strike me as the type to be easily scared, looked terrified at their set pieces. Who is supposed to be organising these things?

But I still think one of the major reasons our defence has looked so bad is because the midfield is not help out.
We are getting out numbered and pulled out of position when teams break on us.
Toby does look like he is doing the absolute minimum, sooner Jan is back the better.

Thats at least twice this season that I can remember Toby completely missing (?misjudging) a header from a set piece. He simply wouldn't have done that a couple of seasons ago.

Sooo, I keep my 400% OMT record (never in doubt :oops:) and think I'll pass on the honor to my fellow Norwegian @Jordinho to supply the win vs Palace!

giphy.gif

The chap who scored was Dele's man. TOby tried to cover after Dele got blocked off and didn't succeed.

Dele looked a little rusty to me. I think he and Eriksen have been rushed back sooner than they would be if we had fit players.

We badly needed this win to stay in the CL. But we really made hard work of it. We again conceded an early goal which put great pressure on us. We dominated the match after that but failed to make use of our chances. For all our domination, our attack looked toothless as all out shots went direct to the goalie. Fortunately, we managed to find the much needed goals late in the match. We need to improve greatly if we want to beat Inter to stay in the CL.

Well done to Kane for scoring both our goals. But apart from the goals, Kane had another poor match. Fortunately, Kane managed to score the badly needed goals just when it mattered most. Credit to Llorente for coming on and setting up the first goal for Kane. Kane's header for the second goal had a fortunate deflection after a perfect cross by Davies but we badly needed that lucky goal ! Son had another poor match and didn't look like scoring the whole match. Was again annoyed Lamela didn't start against PSV, just like the away match. I think Lamela would have helped us win this match more comfortably if he had started. Instead, Lamela didn't have much impact after replacing Moura in the second half. Thought Moura played well despite not scoring and should have stayed on. Both Eriksen and Alli looked rusty. Alli had a few chances in which he could have shot at goal.

Our midfield or Eriksen and Alli played well but lacked a cutting edge. PSV 'were poor and didn't really test our midfield much. But thought Eriksen and Winks should have helped our attack more. Felt Sissoko should have come on for Winks in the second half. Winks worked hard but still felt Sissoko's experience against big teams could have helped us more.

Our defence did well for most of the match but still made a few errors. It was really a soft goals to give away so early in the match. It was annoying to see the PSV player heading into goal unchallenged. I think we missed Vertonghen as he could have covered the header. Maybe Gazzaniga could have reacted faster for that goal as well. Apart from that, we did well, as Gazzaniga made a few crucial saves.

Wish we had won this match more comfortably by scoring more goals. We had 30 shots on goal but only had 10 on target. We really need to improve our defending and be more clinical in front of goal. Let's hope we will play much better when we play Inter in the CL next.

We badly needed this win to stay in the CL.

I think that ship has sailed.
Sloppy in Italy and at PSV, it smacked of complacency IMO in both matches.
Tuesday was too little too late.
We will learn, even the best can be a little sexy ask the Juventus fans.

I think that ship has sailed.
Sloppy in Italy and at PSV, it smacked of complacency IMO in both matches.
Tuesday was too little too late.'
I fear you maybe right Stephen. I can't see PSV doing us any favours with Inter, and winning at Barca is a very tall order. Mind you, if we were to qualify from here, it might shut up some of the 'sexy' legions!

Lamela didn't have much impact after replacing Moura in the second half.

But thought Eriksen and Winks should have helped our attack more. Felt Sissoko should have come on for Winks in the second half. Winks worked hard but still felt Sissoko's experience against big teams could have helped us more.

I disagree with both those points

Lamela had an instant impact on the tempo. Things definitely started getting more serious when he came on (not that Moura wasn't playing great)

And Winks was holding the whole thing together. It was basically an Ossie Ardiles line-up with 5 attackers and him in the Popescu/Howells role. If anything we would have been better with Eriksen dropping into CM next to him, because with Winks as the only transitioner, our passing options were reduced; and the 4 AMs were actually getting in each other's way more than they were effective.

I disagree with both those points

Lamela had an instant impact on the tempo. Things definitely started getting more serious when he came on (not that Moura wasn't playing great)

And Winks was holding the whole thing together. It was basically an Ossie Ardiles line-up with 5 attackers and him in the Popescu/Howells role. If anything we would have been better with Eriksen dropping into CM next to him, because with Winks as the only transitioner, our passing options were reduced; and the 4 AMs were actually getting in each other's way more than they were effective.

I agree with this too. There seemed to be times (especially in the first half) when Dele and Son were both looking to occupy the same space, particularly when they were attacking down the left.

Few quid on Sakho first goal Saturday then?! Palace love a set piece to the big guys.

Back