• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Spurs vs Liverpool***

Both sides will be up for this. My worry is Spurs attack. There seems to be a lack of creativity and not completing moves. I understand that they are human.

Actually, creativity wasn't the problem last week-end, it was more final decision once in a threatening area.

Pool doesn't defend deep/compact, not worried about that, it's more about us being a little more cautious, little deeper, and not allowing them to utilize their favorite long ball to pace and overload box tactic.

Interesting thing about recent Liverpool games where they've dropped points is that their opposition usually lets Liverpool have over 70% possession. Usually you see the counter-attacking team give up between 55-65% possession, but against Liverpool there are some extreme statistics. I think teams have had to figure out the fact that, with Liverpool playing a usually really attacking midfield 3 of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana, that giving them space to play by attacking even 45% of the time is too much. Liverpool have looked even more ponderous the deeper their opposition has played, and have looked even more vulnerable on the counter-attack, giving up really easy chances. They have also looked better against the bigger teams, perversely but unsurprisingly given those bigger teams will inherently have to attack.

I think bearing all of this in mind, we should play on the counter. A back 5 of Lloris, Davies, Dier, Toby and Walker, with Dembele and Wanyama in front. Then Son and Sissoko who will be absolute musts to provide counter attacking threat, supporting Kane. Maybe drop Eriksen and play Alli, and make it about beating them on the break by being clinical. Or maybe go back to 3-4-3, with Wimmer coming in, Davies at LWB, the central beasts and then Sissoko and Son supporting Kane. Probably not on Wimmer though, as he seems really out of sorts.

Either way, I think we need to counter. Liverpool look really bad if an opposition plays really deep and takes their chances to counter. We should play the team that gives us the best chance of doing that. I'd even say if N'koudou was fit we give him a run. I don't think we win the game by playing our traditional game against them.

I agree with your 3 at the back option. I think we have to trust Wimmer at some stage and with Davies at WB in front of him and Toby alongside, he should be adequately protected, especially if Wanny is given the same defensive role as he had against Chelsea. We need to stifle them in midfield and play a counterattacking game. The question then is who to sacrifice from our remaining players?

Dembele is too important for his defensive duties. Kane, although a bit out of form, is still reqyuired to provide the focal point to our counterattacks. That leaves, Alli, Son an Eriksen. A case can be made for and against each of them for this game. On balance, I would leave out Son as I think he could be the impact player we may need.

I agree with your 3 at the back option. I think we have to trust Wimmer at some stage and with Davies at WB in front of him and Toby alongside, he should be adequately protected, especially if Wanny is given the same defensive role as he had against Chelsea. We need to stifle them in midfield and play a counterattacking game. The question then is who to sacrifice from our remaining players?

Dembele is too important for his defensive duties. Kane, although a bit out of form, is still reqyuired to provide the focal point to our counterattacks. That leaves, Alli, Son an Eriksen. A case can be made for and against each of them for this game. On balance, I would leave out Son as I think he could be the impact player we may need.
Yep, if we go back 3, Son is always the player to miss out.

Lloris

Walker Dier Toby Davies

Wanyama Moose

Alli Sissoko Eriksen

Hazza

subs: Vorm, Sonny, Wimmer, Nkoudo, Winksy, Janssen, Onomah

I think we have to go back 4 up there. I'd go 3 if we had Rose and Verts, but we don't - so I wouldn't risk it.

I would also risk Sissoko to start but CENTRALLY BEHIND Kane. I think IF we played him there, we'd see some results pretty quickly. Alli and Eriksen are smart enough to work of/with him. It would also give us a massive, strong spine through the middle of the pitch. We will need it IMO...Sonny is an impact player, and I still don't trust him in games like this from the start as he loses possession too often...

I think we will win.

Lloris

Walker Dier Toby Davies

Wanyama Moose

Alli Sissoko Eriksen

Hazza

I think we have to go back 4 up there. I'd go 3 if we had Rose and Verts, but we don't - so I wouldn't risk it.

I would also risk Sissoko to start but CENTRALLY BEHIND Kane. I think IF we played him there, we'd see some results pretty quickly. Alli and Eriksen are smart enough to work of/with him. It would also give us a massive, strong spine through the middle of the pitch. We will need it IMO...Sonny is an impact player, and I still don't trust him in games like this from the start as he loses possession too often...

I think we will win.
You make a good case for Sissoko in CM. Worth a go, although we may become too stagnant and lack goals, but then we can always change and bring on Son.

My fear is that we cause our own problems by playing out from the goal line, doing stupid possession drills. We are our own worst enemies.

How we cope with their press will decide outcome of this game, if we can play long from Lloris to Kane and Sissoko, flicking on to Alli and Eriksen, we might overcome their press. Sissoko's pace and strength would be advantages although he might not quite be the ideal header.

Lloris

Walker Dier Toby Davies

Wanyama Moose

Alli Sissoko Eriksen

Hazza

I think we will win.

Still not feeling any great love for Sissoko. This is a far too important game to start him in the centre of our AMs. He simply has done nothing to deserve it and to be picked ahead of Son wouldn't be fair or justified judged on performances. Son's goals and assists ( and penalty wins) outweigh anything Sissoko can bring.

Still not feeling any great love for Sissoko. This is a far too important game to start him in the centre of our AMs. He simply has done nothing to deserve it and to be picked ahead of Son wouldn't be fair or justified judged on performances. Son's goals and assists ( and penalty wins) outweigh anything Sissoko can bring.

I hear and understand what you mean; however, i think the raw pace that Sissoko brings could be a valuable weapon to keep Liverpool from pressing us up too far (this allowing more space for Alli, Eriksen to do their thing) and/or exploiting the space behind their defence if they do push up too far.

Also, Son may be a better weapon to bring on later in the game as players tire. Plus his touch is often poor, so later when the game may be more stretched his direct running will weigh up better with his often poor touch/decision-making.

Good options to have either way

I hear and understand what you mean; however, i think the raw pace that Sissoko brings could be a valuable weapon to keep Liverpool from pressing us up too far (this allowing more space for Alli, Eriksen to do their thing) and/or exploiting the space behind their defence if they do push up too far.

Also, Son may be a better weapon to bring on later in the game as players tire. Plus his touch is often poor, so later when the game may be more stretched his direct running will weigh up better with his often poor touch/decision-making.

Good options to have either way

Also Sissoko is actually more comfortable on the right than Alli or Son and thats an area where their relatively weak defensively having played Milner there (who is solid but not the greatest when actually ran at)

Also Sissoko is actually more comfortable on the right than Alli or Son and thats an area where their relatively weak defensively having played Milner there (who is solid but not the greatest when actually ran at)
Doesn't Son score a lot of goals cutting in from the right, to shoot with his left? I'm sure that was a recurring theme from his goals for Leverkusen. I appreciate he spent most of the game against Boro on the left.

Doesn't Son score a lot of goals cutting in from the right, to shoot with his left? I'm sure that was a recurring theme from his goals for Leverkusen. I appreciate he spent most of the game against Boro on the left.

Not for us
Pretty much always on the left

Liverpool been conceding the same types of goals recently. Its obvious where their weaknesses are.

Hull - Goal from set piece, Goal on the counter where their high line was caught out by a through ball
Chelsea - Goal from set piece
Wolves - Goal from set piece, Goal on the counter where their high line was caught out by a ball played straight though it
Southampton - Goal on the counter from their own corner
Swansea - Goal from a set piece, goal on the counter

Liverpool been conceding the same types of goals recently. Its obvious where their weaknesses are.

Hull - Goal from set piece, Goal on the counter where their high line was caught out by a through ball
Chelsea - Goal from set piece
Wolves - Goal from set piece, Goal on the counter where their high line was caught out by a ball played straight though it
Southampton - Goal on the counter from their own corner
Swansea - Goal from a set piece, goal on the counter

That's us screwed then! :)

Back