• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Spurs vs Liverpool***

I saw a team overrun by a faster paced attack and two replacement defenders caught cold by not being in the 'wide awake club'. Liverpool's (grrr) excellent opening blew us away and we never recovered. It was a lack of application rather than effort.

I agree. Dier and Davies were caught flat footed and Davies did not get enough cover

If poch learnt a few things about his players then i will accept this as part of the learning process and evolution of the team.
We really miss an in field leader, Hugo is great but it's difficult for a keeper. Harry tried to lead by example but was as isolated ad harry.
Someone who can control the tempo when we don't have ball. We fell into the same trap last night that we did against city, allowed ourselves and the ref to be bullied.
We are to nice and naive, someone needs to stand up and start taking control.

I said the same thing in the summer transfer window, when there was a post about what type of player we should sign. When we have a wobble, we really wobble and it's painful to watch cos there's nobody out there to pull them together.

Mane.
Not dealing with Liverpool's press.
Pool reaction to their own run of form.
Our own injuries and dip in form.

The very thing we needed to do was keep it tight and put pressure on pool. If we'd got to HT at 0-0, then we might have won the game second half. It wasn't a game we were expected to win tho. Spurs team have to respond to this result now.

Last edited:
I think that the issue against City was Vertonghen being out.

Maybe

But City played one holder and basically went for it

It's frustrating that we played both city and pool when they actually had to turn up (I know that sounds daft)

I think City would have been a very different game if they hadn't been spanked the week before

And pool may well have been different if they had some form and were playing more settled

Maybe

But City played one holder and basically went for it

It's frustrating that we played both city and pool when they actually had to turn up (I know that sounds daft)

I think City would have been a very different game if they hadn't been spanked the week before

And pool may well have been different if they had some form and were playing more settled

I think that the understanding between the three when you play a back three needs to be solid. Most defenders are less familiar with it as a system and therefore their positioning is not second nature. I think that City played on this and this is why Poch has ditched it since that game. I don't see it making a return whilst Verts is out.

One thing for me last night was it's an awful watch on BT
The commentators are awful and very biased
The camera angles at tossfield are appealing too. It was like watching a computer game

Very surprised and somewhat dismayed by Poch's reported comments today that " when asked whether his side had pushed forward too much and left gaps at the back, Pochettino disagreed, "for me, it was the opposite" he said believing his team were too deep at times'.

If true, that is deeply worrying and shows he isn't learning.

These are the possession stats for Premier League goalkeepers

043c69e6ef.png

http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...17#season#1#all-matches#possession#desc#total

Most of our goal kicks are 10 yard passes to defenders standing at the edge of the box and we do tend to be quite patient with possession often going back to Lloris and passing the ball between the back 4/5 so I wonder how many of those passes make up the stats.

Very surprised and somewhat dismayed by Poch's reported comments today that " when asked whether his side had pushed forward too much and left gaps at the back, Pochettino disagreed, "for me, it was the opposite" he said believing his team were too deep at times'.

If true, that is deeply worrying and shows he isn't learning.

I took it that he meant we took to long on the ball at the back when playing out. All our problems came from dwelling on the ball within 30 yards of our goal and giving Liverpool the opportunity to press us and cut out passes.
We got constantly caught with the ball or were forced into errors because our transition from defence to midfield was so slow.

No they aren't possession statistics. They are scores a website's algorithm was given random things.
Scores that look completely meaningless because they have no scale.
I mean look at them.

Cech has "-21" for "Attack".
Caballero has "-4" for "Defence" but has only played 5 games.

What does any of it mean?

If you want to look at possession stats for Keepers look at pass success percentage on opta.
But even that is flawed as what you really want to see is how good a keeper is at retaining possession under pressure not when there no player in the same half of the pitch as him.
There's no stat for that.
I guess we will just have to use our eyes.

I took it that he meant we took to long on the ball at the back when playing out. All our problems came from dwelling on the ball within 30 yards of our goal and giving Liverpool the opportunity to press us and cut out passes.
We got constantly caught with the ball or were forced into errors because our transition from defence to midfield was so slow.

We couldn't play out because there were no passes available.
The midfield 2 were out numbered 3 to 2. Coutinho was on Walker, Mane on Davies, Firmino between the centre halfs.

We've had this problem this season and the solution was to play a 343 and given an extra passing option at the back.

Then Emirates Marketing Project played 433 against us with one of their 3 against each of our 3 at the back.
They got in behind again and again.

Liverpool were always going to play 433. Poch knew 343 would have been a disaster against them.

Maybe we should have played long balls from the back to Kane and Alli. Maybe even Janssen would have been an option here.

As stupid as it sounds, it's good to occasionally come across a performance and team against which we struggle and are exposed to see what we need to improve upon. We have come such a long way and it seems we still have a way to go to get to the very top.

Individually we were not great. Tactically we seemed naive. But Pochettino would have had a clearer idea about what he wanted to do and I guess we just didn't execute it very well. Either way we have been exposed by Monaco, Leverkusen, City and Liverpool this season, 4 teams who pressed us very well. It's clear we need to learn to be quicker, sharper and better in possession when being pressed as aggressively as Liverpool did yesterday. I don't think Liverpool are a great side themselves by any stretch, but they are very aggressive, and we let them bully us so credit to them.

It's all part of the evolution. Now the players and coach have to prove lessons have been learned.

On the plus side, we now have just Arsenal and United at home to play from the top 6. We have a good run of games from which we can hope to win some serious points.

COYS

Back