• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Spurs vs Leipzig***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is exactly it. I have sympathy for the bloke, I really do. But he is legitimately in danger of spiralling his way out of the job at this point - if the media negativity gets to be too much, he will be on thin ice come the start of next season. And then one or two bad results to start off with and he's gone.

Yes, you've been dealt a bad hand. Time to earn your 15m a year and deal with it. Otherwise, we'll survive, but your reputation will be fried.

Throughout his career Mourinho has relied on a big beast to be a focal point up front - Drogba, Costa Lukaku etc. He then sets up a team to play around them. We have plenty of useful skilful players, but what we don't currently have is a monster at CF.

We desperately need quality monsters at centre half, DM and centre forward. And after tonight, a new goalkeeper! Give Mourinho a team with a solid spine, and I believe we will be successful. However, without real warriors in our squad , we will continue to struggle. Not much he nor anyone else can do about that at the moment.

He will add some players and that’s what will make a difference
We played tonight with a team arguably missing 6 starters. You get 4 of them back (there will always be injuries) and maybe add 3/4 more players of the right quality and it’s a much much better picture
I’ve seen so many games lately since the Villa game and you can see that with one striker we would have won them...and were not missing some average players were missing some record signings and two players who would arguably get in any side in the world

I agree, although I'm a little disappointed that others haven't stepped up and covered at level.

Of course but I think that we are also over reacting a little about the quality of the squad. We do need to rebuild but I think that it is important to remember that you are never as bad as you think after a loss or as good as you think after a win.

I would agree I am over-reacting to an extent, but what concerns me more is the lack of direction or long-term plan. And my reaction today is not simply based on today to be honest.

I sadly do not believe the will receive the support he wants. Here's to being wrong and eating humble pie next spring ;-)

I would agree I am over-reacting to an extent, but what concerns me more is the lack of direction or long-term plan. And my reaction today is not simply based on today to be honest.

As I have consistently said, I also believe Mourinho needs time and support to whatever job it is he wants to do. I sadly do not believe the will receive the support he wants. Here's to being wrong and eating humble pie next spring ;-)

I don't think that he's had much of a chance to set a long term plan. We are decimated by injuries and he's only had three weeks without a midweek game since he took over. He inherited a mess and hasn't had a chance to do much other than prepare for the next game.

I think it's a huge job for him, if he fails, and I mean that by his own standards, thats it, he'll probably never manage a proper football team again, he'll retire to international football.

I hate the budget narrative, he's been backed with two really good signings so far, longer term, every manager under ENIC has been given funds commensurate with our situation and we have continuously improved.

Our squad need a lot more than two signings to be competing with Liverpool, City, Chelsea, utd or any of the euro big teams.
A lot fudging more.
We've spent relatively little over the last five seasons and Levy is saying no CL next season then our budget drops.
If that's the case I think Jose will be more than justified in not taking the blame.

There's more than one problem at our club, so I can't and won't lay all the blkame on one person.
In the same that they all deserved praise for the goods, they all need to take some responsibility for this crud. Not Jose obviously, these aren't his problems. He's not been here long enough.

Football fans talking about passion worry me, I think that most talk of this is flimflam and a fallback position for English fans.

I wouldn’t know any other ways of describing it though as to why in every single game it’s so noticeable that all of our players are losing their individual battles and are second to the ball in every 50 50.

I wouldn’t know any other ways of describing it though as to why in every single game it’s so noticeable that all of our players are losing their individual battles and our second to the ball in every 50 50.

They are knackered, have no outlet up the pitch and are very low on confidence.

I don't think that he's had much of a chance to set a long term plan. We are decimated by injuries and he's only had three weeks without a midweek game since he took over. He inherited a mess and hasn't had a chance to do much other than prepare for the next game.

And even with these impediments, since his arrival, only Liverpool and City have garnered more points than us in the PL. Quite an achievement to my mind with what he has to work with!

That's not the point. It's been damage mitigation for a while, and any manager would be in the same boat.

Like I said, I'm not Mourinho's biggest fan but he needs to be given time to build and prepare a team.
Is Mourinho anno 2020 capable of building a team though? Has he ever built a team? He has normally worked at clubs that were top of the hierarchy in the country and was able to point at the players he wanted. He has never worked at a club like Spurs before, where you actually have to develop players and improve them, rather than working with the finished articles. I don't think he has it in him to develop a style of play. That has never been his way of working. It has been about defensive organisation and counter-attacking. At the moment his plan in most games seems to be to mirror the formation of the opposition, which only means we play against a team that always know their way of playing better than we know ours.

I agree that normally you need to give a manager more time than six months, I agree that the injury situation makes things difficult, but if the wrong man is in charge, the best thing is to get rid of him as quickly as possible. I believe his manners and tactics are outdated, and that we need to get a more progressive manager in charge, with more modern ideas. Someone who could also inject some much needed positivity into the club, whereas Mourinho spreads negativity everywhere he goes. Every time he opens his mouth, his only intention is to make himself look better, making excuses for himself, even if it doesn't benefit the players or the team. The way he speaks every time he opens his mouth now is not going to give the players any confidence or belief that they can do well in this situation. "The players are doing their best, working hard, but they just aren't good enough", that's the jist of everything Mourinho is saying.

Our squad need a lot more than two signings to be competing with Liverpool, City, Chelsea, utd or any of the euro big teams.
A lot fudging more.
We've spent relatively little over the last five seasons and Levy is saying no CL next season then our budget drops.
If that's the case I think Jose will be more than justified in not taking the blame.

There's more than one problem at our club, so I can't and won't lay all the blkame on one person.
In the same that they all deserved praise for the goods, they all need to take some responsibility for this crud. Not Jose obviously, these aren't his problems. He's not been here long enough.

It's not about how much the players cost, it's about their athletic capacity and how well you coach them. We just need to scout a little smarter than our rivals, which we have history of doing, at some point, either that failed or the coaching effort did, but we hit a wall about 18 months ago and the conveyor belt of talent jammed.

Gedson and Bergwijn give me hope we have it going again.

Is Mourinho anno 2020 capable of building a team though? Has he ever built a team? He has normally worked at clubs that were top of the hierarchy in the country and was able to point at the players he wanted. He has never worked at a club like Spurs before, where you actually have to develop players and improve them, rather than working with the finished articles. I don't think he has it in him to develop a style of play. That has never been his way of working. It has been about defensive organisation and counter-attacking. At the moment his plan in most games seems to be to mirror the formation of the opposition, which only means we play against a team that always know their way of playing better than we know ours.

I agree that normally you need to give a manager more time than six months, I agree that the injury situation makes things difficult, but if the wrong man is in charge, the best thing is to get rid of him as quickly as possible. I believe his manners and tactics are outdated, and that we need to get a more progressive manager in charge, with more modern ideas. Someone who could also inject some much needed positivity into the club, whereas Mourinho spreads negativity everywhere he goes. Every time he opens his mouth, his only intention is to make himself look better, making excuses for himself, even if it doesn't benefit the players or the team. The way he speaks every time he opens his mouth now is not going to give the players any confidence or belief that they can do well in this situation. "The players are doing their best, working hard, but they just aren't good enough", that's the jist of everything Mourinho is saying.

I don't know and have repeatedly said that I have doubts about him but given that he has been appointed, he deserves a fair crack of the whip. If we are still a mess at the end of the year, we'll know the answer.

Back