• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Spurs vs FC Barcelona***

Not trying to turn this into a 'is Sissoko a laughing stock or not?' debate but didn't anyone else think we looked a lot more balanced after he came on?

Sissoko plugs holes when we desperate, he isn't the problem, he's just a easy thing to point at by boo boys, ignoring last night he's made 3 appearances, 1 for a minute, then a league cup v Watford and Saudi Sportswashing Machine when we had no players (we won all 3).

He shouldnt be in the squad except for emergencies / allow squad to rest and he's not used for anything other than that, his physicality and bundling style is clumsy painful but sometimes effective

I guess I just don’t see him as much better than what we had on the bench anyway, 4 years ago you may have said the same about Sissoko had we not bought him

Grealish is who Levy/Pochettino thought would obviously be a good addition from what we heard and read.
I didn’t choose Grealish they did, so don’t use Grealish as the only example. He is just one that came out from the media. We need quality options is all I’m saying.

You're including players there that in our system would play in the deeper positions. It's a choice between Kane/Llorente and Morata/Giroud, and I go with Kane and Llorente every time.

Then it's a choice between Eriksen, Dele, Son, Lamela, Moura, N'Koudou vs Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek...Moses?

Then it's a choice between Dembele, Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Wanyama vs Kovacic, Fabregas, Kante, Jorginho.

In the attacking midfield positions, Hazard would obviously get into our side but I don't think their group is way ahead of ours or any more deep at all. Is Moses now playing in the attacking positions again? If so, I'm not really fussed on him.

In the deeper positions, it's probably the weakest part of our squad and they beat us there, but when our players are fit and firing we aren't going to get rolled over by many teams.

Overall, to say that we have some massive depth problem and that Barca proves it, or that other squads are way ahead of us, just isn't fair. We had a heck of a lot of injuries against Barca and that doesn't mean we should have gone for Grealish - or pushed the boat out for him any more than we did. It's easier to look back now with injuries across the board to say he would have gotten some games but we are in an unlucky period, it doesn't mean the decision taken was wrong in the summer. We can't just load up on players so that we have a back up to the back up, however nice it may be. The fact that he could have filled in deeper and further forward, and maybe on the wider positions would have been a bonus, but it really isn't the end of our world.

We haven't just had 'one or two injuries', we've had 2 of our key attacking midfielders out of the side at the same time. That is unfortunate. Often one of them may be out, but most of the time you have 2 or 3 of Lamela, Moura, Son, on the bench and that is bloody good. If Chelsea had Hazard and Willian out, Pedro and Barkley starting, Loftus-Cheek and Moses on the bench, suddenly people start saying the same thing about the depth of their squad, even though it's at that time those players should be playing. As I said, the idea of needing back ups to back ups is just silly. Either way, if we then start getting into a debate about whether Loftus-Cheek and Moses are better than whoever our back ups in the equivalent situation would be, it's a largely pointless one because if neither Chelsea's players or ours aren't playing, they aren't going to be in form, and they will be back ups for a reason. It won't make a grand bit of difference.

For what it's worth, the bolded bit above is the only point I was personally trying to make.

I agree that every other aspect of our squad is strong.

I do disagree that 'most of the time you have 2 or 3 of Lamela, Moura, Son on the bench' - I'd imagine it will be more like 1-1.5 of them on average - but maybe that's nitpicking.

And I can broadly agree that replacing the bottom backups i.e. Llorente and Sissoko won't make a huge difference to our season, but I think it would make some difference, and with such small margins that small difference could be meaningful. But I can agree that if the right player hasn't been available at the right price, it might not have been worth trying to replace them.

I'll leave it there - the trouble with forums is that we all talk at cross purposes when replying to an individual but simultaneously getting drawn into other related arguments that we weren't actually trying to have anything to do with - accidental strawman arguments galore!

Grealish is who Levy/Pochettino thought would obviously be a good addition from what we heard and read.
I didn’t choose Grealish they did, so don’t use Grealish as the only example. He is just one that came out from the media. We need quality options is all I’m saying.
And 3/4 years before Sissoko was the answer for the management team, that’s my point, not whether it’s a player you rate or not.

I'm happy to wait for the right player at the right cost when that player becomes available. Our squad is very strong, for me that patience is the right approach.

I like to bathe in custard to all those moaning about our lack of signings.

Reasons for no new signings
  1. The Stadium and the humungous cost thereof
  2. Could not sell deadwood
  3. Inflated market
  4. The window was shortened

Plus our need to balance our squad with more home grown signings. Hence the apparent interest in Zaha, Grealish, Sessegnon and before that Barkley. They either don't want to come or their clubs won't sell them. Maddison apparently wanted guaranteed first team football so didn't rate his chances with us. Ditto Maguire.

Players, especially home grown ones, who would improve us are very very hard to come by.

Plus our need to balance our squad with more home grown signings. Hence the apparent interest in Zaha, Grealish, Sessegnon and before that Barkley. They either don't want to come or their clubs won't sell them. Maddison apparently wanted guaranteed first team football so didn't rate his chances with us. Ditto Maguire.

Players, especially home grown ones, who would improve us are very very hard to come by.
Can't think of a single one. Maguire might improve our bench, but looking through the England squad there's nobody I'd want to be bringing on.

Can't be arsed to look up non-English home grown - not sure where I'd find the info.

Edit: And Walker

Last edited:
Back