• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT SPURS vs ANZHI ***

Was it just me or did we criminally underuse Chadli- almost nothing came down the left side tonight.

Also what was with defoe keep coming back in to the centre mid area to take a pointless touch and leave no-one up front?

And whilst I'm ranting the difference between Holtby and Eriksen? Holtby comes deep to get involved but invariably when the ball is played up to him his first pass is straight back to the defence- at least once he was passed the ball in acres of space but rAther than turn and run at their defence his first thought was to return the ball back to our defenders. Surely we want the ball playing creative mid be the one to pass it around not the centre back?!

Good effort tonight but second half we didn't look up for it and against a better side we could've got punished for being loose in possession.

When do we ever run anything down the left without Rose dribbling it there himself? I would never have guessed he would be so important at the beginning of the season.

Happy with the win but wish we are more ruthless in beating weak teams like Anzi. We really need to score more goals even if it doesn't make much difference in Cup matches. We need to overcome the habit of getting complacent after taking a lead. We did enough to take a 2-0 lead in the first half but disappointingly didn't turn up for the second half. Anzi could have troubled us if they managed to get a goal in the second half. Fortunately, Lloris and the defence managed to save their attacks. I think we also got lucky with the penalty appeal which could have gone their way in the second half.

Great to see Defoe continuing his goal run in Cup matches. Wish he can be a prolific goal scorer like that in league. Strange thing is, Defoe is now our top scorer with 7 goals, all being Cup goals. Hope that will fire up Soldado to start scoring again soon. Again disappointed with the performance of Lamela. Badly wanted him to score but instead he was very poor the whole match. He not only didn't do anything of note but kept losing the ball. It is clear Lamela still has not settled in at Spurs yet. Really not sure if we will see the best of Lamela this season. Now, it looks like he will need more than 1 season to show his worth to us.

Due credit to Holtby for creating both the goals. It was a inch-perfect pass to Defoe for the first goal while his long range pass opened up the Anzi defence for Walker to cross to Chadli for the second goal. Credit to Chadli for scoring the second goal but still not fully convinced about him. I think Chadli wasted our only chance in the second half when he chose to shoot wildly at goal instead of passing to a unmarked Defoe. I think AVB must ban these long range shots since we don't have anyone who can shoot on target from long distances except for maybe Sigurdsson.

It is really enjoyable seeing us keeping another clean sheet. Anzi's attacks were shyte but we didn't make any silly errors. Too bad about the injury to Kaboul. Really not sure if he will be able to overcome his injury problems. Would have preferred to rest Lloris but he did well to make a few important saves. Encouraging to see our new defender Chiriches having a good game. Liked the way he dribbled past the Anzi players a few times without much problems. It is still early but maybe Chiriches will turn out to be a good signing for us.

Would have preferred us to have won big but the important thing is we won. Just hope we will learn to be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal in the coming matches.

AVB was chatting long time with a Anzi player, maybe Jucilei, during half time and after the game. Anyone one what was that all about ? Wonder if AVB was trying to lure Jucilei to sign for us.:lol:

11 Games
9 Wins
1 Draw
1 Loss
9 Clean Sheets
23 Goals
2 Goals Against

Impressive

well.......................................lloris has been the reason for clean sheets....its always him that has to clear from corners free kicks and some crosses...

I'm not being over critical..but our defence needs to meet the ball more.....bloody Terry springs to mind.

Happy with the win but wish we are more ruthless in beating weak teams like Anzi. We really need to score more goals even if it doesn't make much difference in Cup matches. We need to overcome the habit of getting complacent after taking a lead. We did enough to take a 2-0 lead in the first half but disappointingly didn't turn up for the second half. Anzi could have troubled us if they managed to get a goal in the second half. Fortunately, Lloris and the defence managed to save their attacks. I think we also got lucky with the penalty appeal which could have gone their way in the second half.

Great to see Defoe continuing his goal run in Cup matches. Wish he can be a prolific goal scorer like that in league. Strange thing is, Defoe is now our top scorer with 7 goals, all being Cup goals. Hope that will fire up Soldado to start scoring again soon. Again disappointed with the performance of Lamela. Badly wanted him to score but instead he was very poor the whole match. He not only didn't do anything of note but kept losing the ball. It is clear Lamela still has not settled in at Spurs yet. Really not sure if we will see the best of Lamela this season. Now, it looks like he will need more than 1 season to show his worth to us.

Due credit to Holtby for creating both the goals. It was a inch-perfect pass to Defoe for the first goal while his long range pass opened up the Anzi defence for Walker to cross to Chadli for the second goal. Credit to Chadli for scoring the second goal but still not fully convinced about him. I think Chadli wasted our only chance in the second half when he chose to shoot wildly at goal instead of passing to a unmarked Defoe. I think AVB must ban these long range shots since we don't have anyone who can shoot on target from long distances except for maybe Sigurdsson.

It is really enjoyable seeing us keeping another clean sheet. Anzi's attacks were shyte but we didn't make any silly errors. Too bad about the injury to Kaboul. Really not sure if he will be able to overcome his injury problems. Would have preferred to rest Lloris but he did well to make a few important saves. Encouraging to see our new defender Chiriches having a good game. Liked the way he dribbled past the Anzi players a few times without much problems. It is still early but maybe Chiriches will turn out to be a good signing for us.

Would have preferred us to have won big but the important thing is we won. Just hope we will learn to be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal in the coming matches.

Slowing the game down, not committing too many men forward at the time, allowing us to attack on the break instead of them. That is being ruthless to me. Anzhi could have scored in the second half, but they were close a couple of times in the first half as well on the break. Continuing to play the way we had in the first could just as easily have seen us concede that 1-2 goal as doing what we did.

Chadli didn't shoot wildly and Defoe wasn't completely unmarked. Chadli took a shot from 20-ish yards, tried to place it, it didn't work out. We see Defoe and others do the same just about every week. We have several players capable of putting in good long shots, including at the very least Eriksen in addition to Sig. But imo Lamela and Chadli are also a threat from range along with Townsend. For me at least we've seen a good mix this season between trying from range and trying to be more intricate.

I agree, the important thing is that we won. 2-0 away is just about always at least a good result. Very few, if any, teams win big every game against lesser opposition. I don't get the negativity about our performance, we did what we had to do, not much more. Considering that we're still integrating a lot of players, our fixture list and the way this EL group is developing I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Also worth repeating that the pitch was terrible, trying to play a fast paced attacking second half would probably have increased or chances of picking up an injury in addition to the increased chance of giving the ball away and giving away counter attacks.

It was all very sensible, very professional, this to me is ruthless.

well.......................................lloris has been the reason for clean sheets....its always him that has to clear from corners free kicks and some crosses...

I'm not being over critical..but our defence needs to meet the ball more.....bloody Terry springs to mind.

Lloris has ranged from good to excellent for sure. But it's a team game and he's not the only one that deserves credit.

AVB was chatting long time with a Anzi player, maybe Jucilei, during half time and after the game. Anyone one what was that all about ? Wonder if AVB was trying to lure Jucilei to sign for us.:lol:

I noticed that too. According to wiki he's never been at a club AVB has been at, but AVB knows a lot of Brazilian players it seems and is pretty renowned for his networking skills. Could just be that they're acquaintances through someone.

Probably one of Anzhi's best players? But didn't look like someone that would be good enough for our squad.

Fryers was the eye opener for me. Tidy, solid football, and very steady.
Chiriches got my heart in my mouth a few times!
I'm really worried about Kaboul's long term future with us.

Lloris has ranged from good to excellent for sure. But it's a team game and he's not the only one that deserves credit.

Its a Team game...but Llorris does have to come out an awful lot to punch clear.

The other thing that springs to mind clearly about Spurs this season... after 3 or 4 seasons of ranting on about it,

do we still need a striker ...................

Its a Team game...but Llorris does have to come out an awful lot to punch clear.

The other thing that springs to mind clearly about Spurs this season... after 3 or 4 seasons of ranting on about it,

Has to? Isn't that his normal and preferred game?

There are other positions we need to strengthen more than up front for me at least. I would love to see us sign a young, tall or tallish, strong striker with a nose for goal and abilities on the ball. Those are rare and often expensive though, not exactly easy to find at the level required to be good enough for us.

Has to? Isn't that his normal and preferred game?

There are other positions we need to strengthen more than up front for me at least. I would love to see us sign a young, tall or tallish, strong striker with a nose for goal and abilities on the ball. Those are rare and often expensive though, not exactly easy to find at the level required to be good enough for us.

yes...and a striker that can create his own goals out of nothing..Greaves Messi Berbs...anyway......Come on Soldado...........

You do realise that defenders wait for the keepers command? If the keeper shouts for it, then all the defenders will leave it intentionally. If the keeper shouts away it means that the keeper is not coming for it (the keeper always has to shout one or the other as silence is confusing).

yes...and a striker that can create his own goals out of nothing..Greaves Messi Berbs...anyway......Come on Soldado...........

We seem to be moving away from depending on individuals to create something out of nothing and towards more team based play. I welcome that change.

Of course having both doesn't hurt, but let's not expect Soldado to be something he's not. And it's not really necessary for a striker to reliably create something out of nothing to be a top striker.

You do realise that defenders wait for the keepers command? If the keeper shouts for it, then all the defenders will leave it intentionally. If the keeper shouts away it means that the keeper is not coming for it (the keeper always has to shout one or the other as silence is confusing).

Yes....offcourse LOL..does our keeper have to go for everythihg? or doesn't he trust the defence to clear it properly..probably not but... mmmmmmm..

maybe thats just his style ...anyway ..one to observe and think about!

Yes....offcourse LOL..does our keeper have to go for everythihg? or doesn't he trust the defence to clear it properly..probably not but... mmmmmmm..

Considering how completely different he acts in the area to Brad Friedel I think it's because it's his style and because it's something he's damned good at.

Surely if it was something he had to do then AVB and the coaches would have instructed Friedel to do the same?

No, but Lloris often rushes out when he doesn't "need" to. I think it's just part of his game. Friedel hardly came out for anything and we looked solid with the defenders we had. So the defenders are clearly capable. The biggest problem we have at the moment is this mix of zonal/man to man marking that we are trying to implement. It didn't cost us a goal last night, but it did against Chelsea. I'd even imagine that as part of that system Lloris is told that if the ball is going to drop within a certain area he has to come for it because that is his "zone".

We seem to be moving away from depending on individuals to create something out of nothing and towards more team based play. I welcome that change.

Of course having both doesn't hurt, but let's not expect Soldado to be something he's not. And it's not really necessary for a striker to reliably create something out of nothing to be a top striker.

Yes its better not to rely on just one up front to pop them in! and I feel this squd has more options than last season...definately..

Soldado is a bit of an enigma...who recomended paying 26 mill for him..I hope he still has more to show....

No, but Lloris often rushes out when he doesn't "need" to. I think it's just part of his game. Friedel hardly came out for anything and we looked solid with the defenders we had. So the defenders are clearly capable. The biggest problem we have at the moment is this mix of zonal/man to man marking that we are trying to implement. It didn't cost us a goal last night, but it did against Chelsea. I'd even imagine that as part of that system Lloris is told that if the ball is going to drop within a certain area he has to come for it because that is his "zone".

Is that just an accepted fact now? From what I could see what cost us was Dawson not tracking Terry? Our setup for that kind of freekick looked completely standard to me. When those set pieces are well delivered they are notoriously hard to defend against, most teams struggle with some of those over a season. To conclude that our system cost us for that one seems unreasonable to me.

Remind me again how many goals we've conceded from set plays this season? If this is the biggest problem we have at the moment then we're pretty low on problems. :)

Edit: And whatever zone has allegedly been assigned to Lloris it looks pretty much dead similar to what he would do if he had no zone considering that what crosses he comes for depends as much on the type of cross as which zone it lands in. Like when he comes out punching balls away at the (very) edge of the box. Surely that's not "his zone", that's him making a judgement call?

Of course though if the ball lands close to goal he's expected to come for it the vast majority of the time. Goalkeepers staying on the line when the ball drops 4-5 yards from goal is pretty terrible.

Last edited:
Back