1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

OMT - Spurs v Burnley

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Yiddo, 26 Oct 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 28 Oct 2020.
  1. Alderweireld

15.7%
  2. Dier

2.9%
  3. Doherty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hojbjerg

8.6%
  5. Kane

38.6%
  6. Lamela

14.3%
  7. Ndombele

15.7%
  8. Sissoko

4.3%
  9. Son

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Nothing I have seen there (or elsewhere) gives any credence to your statement that Davies played in a back three for much of the game.

2. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Gary Stevens Staff Member

Are you suggesting that Davies was pushing up? He clearly was not deployed as a primary attacking source last night, only an occasional supplemental one. As for the comments (not yours) that Davies spent a lot of last night passing backwards to Lloris/teammates, that might be a major factor as to how we achieved a clean sheet. Simple defending/football in our own final third.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  3. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Jimmy Neighbour

I’m really not sure it was.... I think Davies got up and down a bit more than Doherty, but I didn’t see us forming a 3 with Davies at all.... that would’ve seen Son pulling into the LWB type position and that just didn’t happen.

Pirate55 likes this.
  4. Finney Is Back

Yep.... that is standard 4 at the back defending.... tuck in when the ball isn’t on your side of the pitch.

Pirate55 likes this.
  5. milo

milo Jürgen Klinsmann Staff Member

Have a look at the link to the highlights I posted earlier. I gave timings for a few times it happened but there were more.

I think that it was primarily playing our fullbacks tight on the non-attacking side and a lot of their best chances coming down our right.

On watching the game again, it was clear that our fullbacks were running back to a central position when we lose position unless they were tracking their man.

6. Finney Is Back

I was annoyed that Hugo didn’t come and claim both of those.... both were in the keeper’s zone.

7. thfcsteff

I would have to see the "maps" and all that, but Davies did not seem to be getting forward that much at all, let alone more than Doherty?

8. thfcsteff

In fairness, his dominance late on was perfect.

9. Finney Is Back

Yes, see my post immediately above this one.... absolutely standard 4 at the back defending.

Pirate55 likes this.
  10. milo

Playing the fullbacks tight was one of the first changes that Mourinho made when he came in and was a key change from Poch. We saw a bit less of it with the wonky and this season with two attacking fullbacks. So this was a change to what we have been doing. I'll need to watch the full match rather than the highlights but on first viewing, I thought that Davies stayed tight (or was slow to get back in position) in the next phase of play.

11. Finney Is Back

See the pass maps on previous page.

12. milo

You have misunderstood what I was saying then. I thought that I'd been pretty clear that I wasn't saying that we played with a back three. I said that he made up a three in some passages of play and that our fullbacks played tighter than we have seen so far this season.

thfcsteff likes this.
  13. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

What do you mean by tighter? Closer to the CBS?
    I’d agree with that but only because Burnley’s attacking came from long central balls rather than using width so it made sense for them to support the CBS aerially. Jose even said that’s why he started Davies in his post match comments

Pirate55 and thfcsteff like this.
  14. Finney Is Back

I wonder if anyone had a word after the one off the line, as there was a clear change from Hugo after that....

Bullet, MKSpur and thfcsteff like this.
  15. thfcsteff

Interesting to see and I obviously saw that wrongly. Funny. I distinctly remember feeling that neither FB was getting forward nearly as much. I suppose more than anything this amplifies the work Hojberg does in covering!

16. thfcsteff

Very possible. I'd put my money on Dier if that was the case, though again, Davies can be assertive too. I have to say, bar that rather strange decision to try and flick it back over this shoulder when he got a free-kick off Wood, I thought Dier was so strong and solid last night.

Finney Is Back likes this.
  17. milo

That was the observation. He did the same when he first came in because we were conceding goals at the far post early last season too.

This discussion started with you criticising Davies attacking play and I said that he was being asked to play a different role to Reguilon. I agree that he is not as much as an attacking threat but he's a useful option and better suited to some games.

thfcsteff likes this.
  18. thfcsteff

I have to say, I perversely enjoyed seeing us play such a solid, patient and somewhat stodgy game in a stodgy environment like that. I always felt we'd score. I wouldn't like it every week, but these are the precise things we need to know how to do.

glasgowspur and K.D.D.D.D.Soc like this.
  19. Bedfordspurs

Attack wise he is as blunt as sissoko
    Defensively he is average
    He looked better playing at CB the other day as all the play was in front of him
    this is a player who 3 season ago had the best chances created record of any defender. The guy can play but he seems to play within himself more and more

Pirate55 likes this.
  20. Bedfordspurs

But we won’t play a team playing with 9 men behind the ball at all times
    This weekend will be very interesting because for me we’re playing the best footballing side in the division who only play one way, and we’re playing the, off the back of an away European game