• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Bournemouth

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Plenty. We have good players but a lack of balance in the squad and a game plan worthy of a team with top four ambitions.

We've certainly needed freshening up for a couple of years, but the last manager was clear about that too. The question is, is Mourinho the right person to lead that rebuild? Can we afford him signing expensive, peak year players and then discarding them after the first run of poor results?

Vincent Kompany is the man we need.

Hmmm I don’t quite agree, I think like the club as a whole overachieved so did many of the players where Poch got them performing in a system able to make many of them look better than they really were - being part of a well drilled system can do that. But once many of the players burnt out or stopped listening to Poch they’ve gone back to type. A lot on here massively over rate a hell of a lot of our players. Which ones are really that good? I’d say Lloris, potentially Dier at CB, Lo Celso, NDombele if sorts out his fitness, and Kane. Bergwijn potentially. Even Son who some in the past have claimed is world class is as patchy as anything, I’m not sure about Dele anymore either. Whilst I agree the balance of the squad isn’t great, majority of this squad could easily be upgraded.....

I'd certainly agree that Poch had a system and style of play that had us overachieving and that too many of the players hit a wall. I've made exactly that point many times.

I think that he did that with mainly, good technical players, the exceptions probably being Aurier and Sissoko. I think that most of our first team could join CL team in a major league if they were to leave us and I think that a lot of them would look good again playing in a coherent system and with their belief restored.

Trippier at Athletico. Emirates Marketing Project's reported interest in Winks last summer. We've got good players, we just have an unbalanced squad, a lack of belief and a very negative manager.

I think that most of our first team could join CL team in a major league if they were to leave us and I think that a lot of them would look good again playing in a coherent system and with their belief restored.

Trippier at Athletico. Emirates Marketing Project's reported interest in Winks last summer. We've got good players, we just have an unbalanced squad, a lack of belief and a very negative manager.

Agreed. Lloris, Dier, GLC, Son and Kane could form the basis of a team capable of winning the league. Dele and Bergwijn arent a million miles behind, assuming the right system

Problem is a lot of the rest are mid-table standard - perhaps fine as squad players, but we had lots in the team tonight: Aurier, Winks, Sissoko, Lamela, two old CBs, Davies

A couple quality additions this summer would make a huge difference, as would adopting a system which gets the most out of the players

Agreed. Lloris, Dier, GLC, Son and Kane could form the basis of a team capable of winning the league. Dele and Bergwijn arent a million miles behind, assuming the right system

Problem is a lot of the rest are mid-table standard - perhaps fine as squad players, but we had lots in the team tonight: Aurier, Winks, Sissoko, Lamela, two old CBs, Davies

A couple quality additions this summer would make a huge difference, as would adopting a system which gets the most out of the players

You don't need world class players from 1 to 11. You need players that compliment each other and a system to get the best out of them. We had that a few years back.

Basically what Mou did at Chelsea when he went out and got Willian, Fàbregas and Costa

You been listening to the last word on spurs podcast?
Guy says that pretty much
You have intelligent players and you have players who are coached to play a certain way
He thought we had too many of the latter in attack for sure
It was evident that we had a quite rigid attacking pattern under Poch. The players would have quite defined movement and passing lanes.

You don't need world class players from 1 to 11. You need players that compliment each other and a system to get the best out of them. We had that a few years back.
Our system was better than the sum of its parts
We were one of the first to press
And we did it so well
We also had the ability to change mid game to change form 4 to 3 at the back
Add in the youth element and the hunger and it was a recipe for success with the hard work they all put in

It was evident that we had a quite rigid attacking pattern under Poch. The players would have quite defined movement and passing lanes.
Yep
It worked
But when it stopped working I think he got into a minutiae that’s they couldn’t get and it made it harder and harder for him to fix it, rather than change a coach or two or get back to basics

And we did it so well
Add in the youth element and the hunger and it was a recipe for success with the hard work they all put in

Great management. If only we had refreshed the squad when he wanted.

Great management. If only we had refreshed the squad when he wanted.
We did didn’t we? I mean he averaged 5 players a season in
Or are we back in that circle of we didn’t back him the year we didnt buy anyone...
and I thought most agreed that we couldn’t get okayed sin that he wanted so he was happy being brave with the team he had... i may be wrong

Though I'm all for bringing in more English players — mostly because there are SO MANY good young ones in the Prem/Champ — I think you're focused on the wrong thing. Selling three super promising players in their early 20's (Ndombele, Dele, and Foyth) while their stocks are depressed is a terrible idea. And all the others you mentioned, aren't likely going to bring back much money.

Pochettino spoke a lot about a "painful rebuild" and "painful" means selling some guys who you don't want to sell. I fudging love Sonny, but he just turned 28 and has been here for 5+ years. Losing him will hurt our squad but driving him into the ground for two more years and then selling him much less isn't good squad management. As hard as it is, same goes for Kane. If you can realistically get huge money for him, does it not make sense to let him move on as a club legend and reinvest that money in the best young talent around. Many of whom will be British.

Lo Celso, Ndombele, Sessegnon, Dele, Bergwijn, Foyth, Dier at CB, Sanchez, and Winks are some really nice longterm building blocks in the squad, and we need to be smart about WHICH veterans we keep around to support them and which we sell at the peak of their value. Big teams know when to buy AND when to sell, and we've been terrible sellers in recent years.

I was agreeing with your post until I read about potentially selling Son and Kane and keeping Sanchez. Davinson would literally be one of the first players I would sell. Guy can’t pass, gets bullied easily, is susceptible to long balls, rash decision maker. Too many weaknesses for a CB. I’d sell even at a loss.

Every game I get up at 1am or 3am, or whatever fudging time it is. I think, "Right, this is the game where we click. This is the game where we go back to playing the exciting way we used to. This is the game where Harry returns to form and rips goals in again".

It never happens. I'm starting to realise that may not happen again for a long time. We've been regressing for a fair while now, and I see long uphill climb to get back to where we were only a few years ago.

I was agreeing with your post until I read about potentially selling Son and Kane and keeping Sanchez. Davinson would literally be one of the first players I would sell. Guy can’t pass, gets bullied easily, is susceptible to long balls, rash decision maker. Too many weaknesses for a CB. I’d sell even at a loss.

Yeah, Sanchez I’d get rid of. Along with Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier, Winks and probably Dele (one of the bigger names needs to go to raise some money and it’s been a long time since he had any sort of consistent form).

Jan and Vorm will go this summer too. That’s eight out. Cuts the wage bill, as well as bringing some money in, and allows room to recruit.

And we did it so well

Need to look at how Dortmund manage to regenerate every few years. I think the template for us would be two tough all action midfielders at the base of midfield and pacey full backs.

Back