• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Bournemouth

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He’s not helping either. :cool:
No, I agree with that, but I think he is just trying to build some kind of a platform to start working from, and that is defensive stability. I have no idea though if he's able to develop that further, so we can actually win games, but he's done it before, albeit with more money. I think he should get another season, at least if we're able to ship some players and get new players in.

Understand that people are unhappy but can anyone tell me why that was NOT a pen when Kane was pushed over from behind? Blatant penalty - they don't get clearer inho, and you don't have to look at it from 3000 angles. The VAR ref (Oliver again?) has royally buggered us.

I want to see it again another 100 times but NBC had an angle that suggested Verts tripped up the player perceived to have pushed Kane.

I want to see it again another 100 times but NBC had an angle that suggested Verts tripped up the player perceived to have pushed Kane.
No, he actually tripped Kane before the push from King. You could see Kane's foot hitting behind the leg of Vertongen.

This team is finished. And it's not Mourinho's fault, because we've looked like this for the best part of 1,5 years, only with the occasional good game. I'm afraid we need a massive rebuild, and it will take years! I think we'll have to settle for 6th-10th place for many years to come, unless we somehow manage to strike gold in the transfer market.

I agree with you that the squad needs refreshment, but I don't think Levy feels the same. Jose isn't a rebuilding manager, which makes me feel like Levy thought he could stick with the core same squad group and still challenge. The question is whether he will spend on a peak-age DM, LB/RB, and back-up striker?

If it was me, I'd rather sell the 25+ players while their values are still high and start to rebuild around that younger core. If you sold some number of Son, Kane, Lucas, Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier, Davies and the Belgians; you'd have a sizable war chest to reinvest in talented young players with a really nice young core of under 23's. This should have happened last summer, but we decided to hang on to what we had even though the squad was absolutely running on fumes.

That said, as long as Jose is here, it makes no sense to do that, and I fear we will be back here again next season.

I agree with you that the squad needs refreshment, but I don't think Levy feels the same. Jose isn't a rebuilding manager, which makes me feel like Levy thought he could stick with the core same squad group and still challenge. The question is whether he will spend on a peak-age DM, LB/RB, and back-up striker?

If it was me, I'd rather sell the 25+ players while their values are still high and start to rebuild around that younger core. If you sold some number of Son, Kane, Lucas, Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier, Davies and the Belgians; you'd have a sizable war chest to reinvest in talented young players with a really nice young core of under 23's. This should have happened last summer, but we decided to hang on to what we had even though the squad was absolutely running on fumes.

That said, as long as Jose is here, it makes no sense to do that, and I fear we will be back here again next season.
Well, we have to replace quite a few of them eventually, as some of them they're not far from retiring. Verts is leaving for free after this season, that's for sure. Vorm probably retiring. So we'll have to replace at least those some way or the other

How many of our current players ( especially in their current malaise) get into one of the top four teams ( i.e. Pool, City, Utd or Chelsea) ?.

Plenty. We have good players but a lack of balance in the squad and a game plan worthy of a team with top four ambitions.

We've certainly needed freshening up for a couple of years, but the last manager was clear about that too. The question is, is Mourinho the right person to lead that rebuild? Can we afford him signing expensive, peak year players and then discarding them after the first run of poor results?

Well that was appalling. And depressing. It's hard to see how we pick up from here. We looked toothless.
Ndombele brought a bit of a spark when he came on, maybe Mourinho will trust him more for Sunday (which I am now dreading).
How far we have fallen from the exciting, energetic, driven team of a few years ago.

Plenty. We have good players but a lack of balance in the squad and a game plan worthy of a team with top four ambitions.

We've certainly needed freshening up for a couple of years, but the last manager was clear about that too. The question is, is Mourinho the right person to lead that rebuild? Can we afford him signing expensive, peak year players and then discarding them after the first run of poor results?
Genuine question
Who has he historically binned after a result at other clubs?

Out:

Aurier
Davies
Winks
Sissoko
Lamela

None of them have ever been good enough. That disallowed goal showed up everything wrong with the team at he moment. Gutless and hesitant defending. We deserved to concede. Again, we got nothing form any of the officials. Mourhino had better do something fast, because if this football is dished up next season, we will have the same attendance. It is rubbish!
If we dish up this football next season we'll have an exciting relegation bqttlebon our hands.

Last edited:
Selling a large number of players and/or buying a large amount is unlikely under current circumstances.
We are most likely stuck with what we have, bar 1-2 players, for the next year.

We need a root and branch clear out. How many of our current players ( especially in their current malaise) get into one of the top four teams ( i.e. Pool, City, Utd or Chelsea) ? Answer, possibly only Harry living off past glories. The stark truth is our players simply aren't good enough. Our recruitment has been pants. We haven't played well for over 18 months. These players need a massive shake up and most should be sold/ swooped for players with talent - and most importantly hunger.

We have lost our identity as a club. We need to revert to buying young ENGLISH players. Our recent success came when we had Walker, Trippier, Rose, Dier, Dele and Kane providing our foundation with a sprinkling of foreign talent. Sadly, we have departed from this successful model and instead bought in a whole load of wasters from abroad. A massive mistake and one we need to rectify going forward.

I would like to see at least 10 of our current squad sold . Vorm, Gazza, Verts, Aurier, Sissoko, Lamela, NDombele, Moura, Dele and Foyth for starters. Bring back KWP he is much better than Aurier and is home grown. Buy British and Bring Back our Spurs.

Though I'm all for bringing in more English players — mostly because there are SO MANY good young ones in the Prem/Champ — I think you're focused on the wrong thing. Selling three super promising players in their early 20's (Ndombele, Dele, and Foyth) while their stocks are depressed is a terrible idea. And all the others you mentioned, aren't likely going to bring back much money.

Pochettino spoke a lot about a "painful rebuild" and "painful" means selling some guys who you don't want to sell. I fudging love Sonny, but he just turned 28 and has been here for 5+ years. Losing him will hurt our squad but driving him into the ground for two more years and then selling him much less isn't good squad management. As hard as it is, same goes for Kane. If you can realistically get huge money for him, does it not make sense to let him move on as a club legend and reinvest that money in the best young talent around. Many of whom will be British.

Lo Celso, Ndombele, Sessegnon, Dele, Bergwijn, Foyth, Dier at CB, Sanchez, and Winks are some really nice longterm building blocks in the squad, and we need to be smart about WHICH veterans we keep around to support them and which we sell at the peak of their value. Big teams know when to buy AND when to sell, and we've been terrible sellers in recent years.

Hmmm I don’t quite agree, I think like the club as a whole overachieved so did many of the players where Poch got them performing in a system able to make many of them look better than they really were - being part of a well drilled system can do that. But once many of the players burnt out or stopped listening to Poch they’ve gone back to type. A lot on here massively over rate a hell of a lot of our players. Which ones are really that good? I’d say Lloris, potentially Dier at CB, Lo Celso, NDombele if sorts out his fitness, and Kane. Bergwijn potentially. Even Son who some in the past have claimed is world class is as patchy as anything, I’m not sure about Dele anymore either. Whilst I agree the balance of the squad isn’t great, majority of this squad could easily be upgraded.....

Hmmm I don’t quite agree, I think like the club as a whole overachieved so did many of the players where Poch got them performing in a system able to make many of them look better than they really were - being part of a well drilled system can do that. But once many of the players burnt out or stopped listening to Poch they’ve gone back to type. A lot on here massively over rate a hell of a lot of our players. Which ones are really that good? I’d say Lloris, potentially Dier at CB, Lo Celso, NDombele if sorts out his fitness, and Kane. Bergwijn potentially. Even Son who some in the past have claimed is world class is as patchy as anything, I’m not sure about Dele anymore either. Whilst I agree the balance of the squad isn’t great, majority of this squad could easily be upgraded.....
You been listening to the last word on spurs podcast?
Guy says that pretty much
You have intelligent players and you have players who are coached to play a certain way
He thought we had too many of the latter in attack for sure

Back