• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Spurs - Fulham

I actually didn't think Sanchez was particularly poor last night. Yes, he got beat for the goal where he should've been tighter, but in every other team in the premier league the centre back partnering him would've just made the simple header and got Lookman's cross clear.
As I said , at least three players are culpable but I think Sissoko is the one that infuriated me the most as he passed on responsibility and he was standing next to Lookman a few seconds earlier and let him jog out to the left to support the full back and he didn't support his (Aurier) .

But why didn't he manage to challenge him? Yes, as a centre back you can position yourself more as a man marker on that player, but with space to attack a quality cross would be dangerous regardless.

My point is that it all happens very quickly, space, limited time, movement. I would expect Dier to win that quite often, but I think most centre backs will lose that once in a while. That's where crossing is truly dangerous, with space and movement, when defenses aren't settled and organised. Because it's a lot harder for defenders.

Edit: On Sissoko, yes it's their number 33. Regardless of that though, we're in a situation where our centre back is getting dragged wide almost to the corner flag and our full back is tracking the runner inside. I'd expect a midfielder, particularly one whose strengths are supposed to be defensive, to... well, run back and defend instead of just standing around.
It's Sissoko that was at fault. If he does his job then Sanchez ( who was obviously at fault as well) doesn't need to be getting pulled out to the corner flag which incidentally happened too many times with Sanchez , both to the left and right byline. Our central defenders shouldn't be out there all the time, at least not hugging the touchline.

But some can see that he is learning absolutely nothing from his many failures this season, with a squad Poch would have killed to have.

Quite frankly, the rest is a matter of opinions (and yours are always worth reading) but I don't see where you're coming from with that last sentence. Pochettino had one of the best defensive partnership in the world in Verthonghen and Alderweireld, Walker (I don't think there's a single manager in the league who'd choose Aurier or Doherty ahead of him), Dembele and, more importantly, Eriksen, who was considered as one of the best playmakers in the world at this time.

Reguillon is probably a better player than Rose at his peak and you could make a case for Hojbjerg to get in the starting XI but Pochettino would have been an idiot to kill to fill two position while losing arguably two or three world-class players.

That's what makes all the current frustration vastly irrelevant to me at the moment. We blew it the year Leicester won the league. That title was ours for the taking and for many reasons, we couldn't make it happen. There's no way this squad is any better so the only logical argument for considering us title contender would be to accept that Mourinho is a vastly superior manager. I don't think that's the case. Pochettino was coming to the end of a cycle - which is something that happens to every manager when they don't change clubs every couple of years. That's the nature of the modern game but expecting Mourinho to work miracles is just setting oneself for disappointment.

Then surely we're in trouble because this is no way to play football and ultimately is the same blueprint that lost him his last two jobs in this country?

I think that's the bottom line. If you don't like the football on offer, individual results are pretty much irrelevant. That's something I can understand. It's slightly different for me because I'm an armchair fan. It doesn't mean I like Spurs less than anyone else on here, but I haven't been to a game in 10 years or so. The investment isn't the same when you spend most of your day going to and from the stadium, chanting your lungs out, paying for a season ticket, etc.

Of course, nobody is able to do that at the moment, but I'd understand someone telling me they don't want to invest that much time and energy to see a boring win. I'd say it's slightly different when you're watching on TV because you can take an interest in other things: opposition players, positioning, stats and so on. And if the game is really boring, I feel it's easier to let your mind wander when you're sitting comfortably at home.

As it stands, the balance between results and entertainment remains decent enough for me, because I know the Mourinho era, like all others, is a temporary thing. If his tenure turns out to be a stepping stone then it would have been worth it, for me. But that's something nobody can tell until the end of the season. As things stand, it's likely that our entire season will depend on a couple of games...

Regarding your response to Dubai there @Mr Gogolak i think it's a misdirection to compare to previous teams of ours as we aren't competing with them, we're competing with the other teams in the league this season - and regardless of whether you think this team is good enough to be doing so or not the points dropped so far would have us sat top

He must have kicked a few members cats ;).

Seriously though there are a few who have never liked Jose since the day he walked in the door and even though we are in a final, still in Europe and still fighting for a top four place they are filling their boots at every dropped point. But as they/we say Stop! Hammer time.

I have said this on other Forums as plenty have an anti Jose agenda but we could win PL, CL FA Cup etc and it still wouldn’t be enough
They would say that it’s anti football from the Dinosaur etc

I didn’t want him when he joined but he’s my team’s manager so I will get behind him
Same with Poch but I stuck with him

Even Graham and Gross and AVB I was loyal and believe me the football wasn’t good then

I started following us in ‘62 after the Cup Final and will always get behind our manager

I’m not saying that he’s above constructive criticism but some go way OTT with their agendas IMO

Mourinho signed 2 of those players and has handed Dier a new contract and made him his guy on the pitch (he also got Alderweireld a new deal too) - if we have a problem with those players it's as much Mourinhos fault as any one else, and i just don't see a world in which they are targetted for upgrade any time soon.

I agreed with Toby getting a new deal and rate him as a defender and a person but I also think that he has one decent season in him but Rodon should now be partnering him at the back and learning his trade

I never rated Dier and not happy with his attitude either which is suspect as evidenced by his stupid reaction to go into the crowd

On the Amazon documentary I wasn’t happy with his challenge on Sonny from behind and neither was Sonny by the look of it

Jose rates him though which I disagree with

Last edited:
Regarding your response to Dubai there @Mr Gogolak i think it's a misdirection to compare to previous teams of ours as we aren't competing with them, we're competing with the other teams in the league this season - and regardless of whether you think this team is good enough to be doing so or not the points dropped so far would have us sat top

Maybe it's my interpretation as a non-native speaker but when he says 'with a squad Poch would have killed to have', I understand he means our current players are vastly superior to the ones he had at his disposal back when he was the manager. As I understand it, it's a straight comparison and I don't agree with his conclusion.

As for your point, I see what you mean but expectations are also a factor. Let's imagine, for instance, that Fulham, with the same players and manager, had the exact same results as we've had so far this season. Surely, they'd be too busy celebrating their unexpected league position to complain about missing out on an even more unexpected top spot.

If you're basing your opinions on the games themselves, I'd say it's a mixed bag. We were very unlucky with the VAR decision against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, for instance. It's true that we hit the self-destruct button against West Ham and we retreated into our shell against Wolves and Palace - I assume that's what you call 'dropping points'. But, by the same standards, did we really deserve to come away with all three points against Burnley?

I have said this on other Forums as plenty have an anti Jose agenda but we could win PL, CL FA Cup etc and it still wouldn’t be enough
They would say that it’s anti football from the Dinosaur etc

I didn’t want him when he joined but he’s my team’s manager so I will get behind him
Same with Poch but I stuck with him

Even Graham and Gross and AVB I was loyal and believe me the football wasn’t good then

I started following us in ‘62 after the Cup Final and will always get behind our manager

I’m not saying that he’s above constructive criticism but some go way OTT with their agendas IMO

Just about the time i started watching as well, we lived in Fulham at the time and my old man took me to Craven Cottage, that was the first time i saw the great Jimmy Greaves and i have been Spurs ever since. I agree with your post and as soon as Jose got the job i knew that as soon as we had a few poor results the agendas against Jose would be driven in most cases. Sad really.

As for other forums i keep away because i get the impression that most of the posters are kid s( and act like it), and to be fair i find there are a lot of good posters on here and its not as crazy.

I hate the idea that some fans think Mourinho is just a mercenary , he has a net worth of 50 million FFS and at least half of that is likely working capital that would likely bring him in anywhere between a 1-5 million ROI every single year until he dies without him lifting a finger, he could also have taken a far less pressurized job for more money in China US etc , he's here because he's a meglamaniac who's desperate to put the record straight, he's a man that could easily rest on his laurels but hasn't , I admire that desire to win at all costs and think it will get us a trophy

Mourinho is the man to take us forward and he must stay until at least the end of next season

Maybe it's my interpretation as a non-native speaker but when he says 'with a squad Poch would have killed to have', I understand he means our current players are vastly superior to the ones he had at his disposal back when he was the manager. As I understand it, it's a straight comparison and I don't agree with his conclusion.

As for your point, I see what you mean but expectations are also a factor. Let's imagine, for instance, that Fulham, with the same players and manager, had the exact same results as we've had so far this season. Surely, they'd be too busy celebrating their unexpected league position to complain about missing out on an even more unexpected top spot.

If you're basing your opinions on the games themselves, I'd say it's a mixed bag. We were very unlucky with the VAR decision against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, for instance. It's true that we hit the self-destruct button against West Ham and we retreated into our shell against Wolves and Palace - I assume that's what you call 'dropping points'. But, by the same standards, did we really deserve to come away with all three points against Burnley?

I meant with regards to your last paragraph where you compared the teams, deduced this one wasn't as good as the other therefore shouldn't be considered title challengers? Which means we shouldn't be critising the manager...

Maybe it is Title Challenger that is the misdirection as ultimately it is the multitide of points thrown away in games through a repeated tactical mistake agsinst poorer teams that is the problem rather than where we could be - the team is playing well, winning the game, we then sit back on the managers instruction, then we drop points... that's a big problem that calls the manager in to question regardless of where we are in the table

Just about the time i started watching as well, we lived in Fulham at the time and my old man took me to Craven Cottage, that was the first time i saw the great Jimmy Greaves and i have been Spurs ever since. I agree with your post and as soon as Jose got the job i knew that as soon as we had a few poor results the agendas against Jose would be driven in most cases. Sad really.

As for other forums i keep away because i get the impression that most of the posters are kid s( and act like it), and to be fair i find there are a lot of good posters on here and its not as crazy.

I lived in the East Midlands and it wasn’t until the mid 60s that my Dad took me to see my first live game at Leicester

Greavsie was playing but John White stole the show with a great goal from outside the box against an up and coming keeper called Gordon Banks
1-0 final score!
I saw all my heroes including the great Dave Mackay
What a day!
COYS

As for other Forums I used to be on Footymad before trying To Dare is to do then TFC which used to be good but now a left wing cesspit
Also tried SC which is ok but the hero worship for Hercules is a bit much
I go on YidArmy occasionally but had a look on here and thought I’d give it a try
Seems ok so far!

As for other Forums I used to be on Footymad before trying To Dare is to do then TFC which used to be good but now a left wing cesspit
Also tried SC which is ok but the hero worship for Hercules is a bit much
I go on YidArmy occasionally but had a look on here and thought I’d give it a try
Seems ok so far!

I have tried a few as well over the years, SC is full of kids the way they rant and rave over every result and as you say their obsession with the ITK (so called) wanabees convinces me they are kids or braindead the way they lap them up. Takes all sorts i guess.

Back