• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Manureskjaer

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yesterday was like a poker game where you get sucked out but you want to play that person in a hand again and again as they were so lucky you know that they will fall into traps and over extend themselves more often than not. I can see liverpool City or psg giving them a real tonking.

Last edited:
He lucked out big time
He didn’t change the team from the previous game bar one player I believe yet he put in some kind of tactical mastermind...
I like him but his management skills so far haven’t shone anywhere of note

I think his mastermind act was picking DeGea to play in goal..I mean who would have thought of that?! That was the difference stopping us from beating them

I think his mastermind act was picking DeGea to play in goal..I mean who would have thought of that?! That was the difference stopping us from beating them
Think that’s harsh.

He also masterminded Sissoko getting injured, Trippier hitting a bad pass and Lloris over compensating for his near post for their goal along with Dean putting in a Red Devil of the year refereeing performance.

To his credit he has dropped lukaku.

yesterday was like a poker game where you get sucked out but you want to play that person in a hand again and again as they were so lucky you know that they will fall into traps and over extend themselves more often than not. I can see liverpool City or psg giving them a real tonking.

We will get them in the FA Cup again, I’m convinced of it

Don’t forget yet when we battered Chelsea they were unbeaten and jorginho was the messiah

And midweek they may have had loads of possession but their CMs offered nothing all game. Jorginho even kicked the ball out of play rather than pass it under pressure... and that was a game they were dominant in

Again, the difference is Chelsea don't have a prolific striker and focal point for our attacks like we have. If they did, that performance vs Chelsea - where their midfield dominated ours - would likely not go unpunished.

Sadly, we have at least 3 teams with better cm options than us...now we may be missing our main world class striker, the inability to control posession via a dominant CM may count against us...we shall see...

Thanks Steve

People, please watch this

It shows how Trippier's role is largely to be a right winger, with someone else covering. He is not expected to be the furthest man forward AND be right back in defence.

It shows how United knew we push our full backs suicidally far forwards, when we play the narrow diamond.

It shows that United put Martial and Rashford into the gaps left by the full backs,

It shows that even when Trippier was back, Martial would pull him out of position for Pogba to surge in behind.

It shows how Poch changed to 3331 in the second half and dominated.

Really interesting.

Again, the difference is Chelsea don't have a prolific striker and focal point for our attacks like we have. If they did, that performance vs Chelsea - where their midfield dominated ours - would likely not go unpunished.

Sadly, we have at least 3 teams with better cm options than us...now we may be missing our main world class striker, the inability to control posession via a dominant CM may count against us...we shall see...

I see city having better options
Who else?
We have more possession in 99% of our games.
I’d wager that city are the only team to have more than us in the league although
Chelsea have improved this season on that but it’s mainly backwards passing.
Pool have had some players playing very well but their not top top players in CM. Fabinho has just started to look decent and Keita isn’t okaying ether which keaves Wilnaldum who has for me been their player of the season, Henderson and Milner... are they better than ours??? And I’ll add for all the battering they gave us at Wembley tha5 game would have been a draw if we had a barely competent ref

Thanks Steve

It shows how Trippier's role is largely to be a right winger, with someone else covering. He is not expected to be the furthest man forward AND be right back in defence.

It shows how United knew we push our full backs suicidally far forwards, when we play the narrow diamond.

It shows that United put Martial and Rashford into the gaps left by the full backs,

It shows that even when Trippier was back, Martial would pull him out of position for Pogba to surge in behind.

Really interesting.

Shows the sissoko sized hole that was missing for their goal

Also shows that despite people saying he was passing to winks he was actually passing to Lamela

Also shows that despite people saying he was passing to winks he was actually passing to Lamela
Indeed, Poch admitted as much:
Speaking of the reshuffle he was forced into after the midfielder limped off, he said: “We did not organise ourselves quickly enough and it was then we conceded the goal.”

I see city having better options
Who else?
Liverpool, Chelsea
We have more possession in 99% of our games.
Perhaps, but we are letting in more shots on goal; again a stronger midfield stops much of that

I’d wager that city are the only team to have more than us in the league although
Chelsea have improved this season on that but it’s mainly backwards passing.
Again, if Chelsea had better and more prologic strikers, their CM would look even better. they have a good variety of options.
Pool have had some players playing very well but their not top top players in CM. Fabinho has just started to look decent and Keita isn’t okaying ether which keaves Wilnaldum who has for me been their player of the season, Henderson and Milner... are they better than ours???
Yes. They are top of the table, having let in the least goals and shots for a reason. One of the key ones being that they have strong options in cm. I don't think it's Rawk-like to simply acknowledge that. They aren't top by luck any more that we are 3 rd despite having lost 6 games. You might look at Pool's CM options and sneer, but i bet we'd be higher in tghe table with some of their players to call on especially with our injuries. Similar re Chelsea and of course City.
And I’ll add for all the battering they gave us at Wembley tha5 game would have been a draw if we had a barely competent ref
If they had their finishing boots on we could have been beaten by 6! They had a many shots on goal as we did yesterday...

I'm not sure that I definitely agree with you here. his cr It always looks to me as though Trippier is rather ponderous between the ball reaching him and him getting his cross off. In having said that, the main reason I chose both Rose and Aurier as the two wingbacks is for their superior athleticism compared to Davies and Trippier.
Really? I'm struggling to recall too many occasions when that is the case. In fact I'd argue the very opposite is far more typical.

Just looking at the United game alone as an example, he had a total of 86 touches, 71 of which were in open play but only four of those required more than two touches. Indeed the vast majority were instant one-touch affairs including most of the dozen or so crosses he floated over.

However if you were thinking about the fatal intercepted pass intended for Lamela that led to United's goal, yes indeed there was a moment's hesitation there but that was about the only time he dithered the whole match and even then it was for just a couple of seconds. I know because I just checked my recording. :cool:

It was a costly mistake but he was hardly helped by the way Lamela insisted on the pass. Practically every single time other than that Trippier disposed of the ball instantly, just as he always does, game in game out.

Thanks Steve

Really interesting.

Right, I think many of us can see what Tripps position is in that regard, but given that is his role, then you expect two things.
1) Him to be putting over the calibre of crosses/deliveries he was last season and this summer
2) Him realizing that with the shape set up as it is, when your primary cover is off the pitch and you have four minutes to HT, be smart, be sensible, be practical, be boring for those few mins and thus be professional! It is not the first time this season, as discussed.

I realize I have been uncharacteristically (for me) harsh on him, but he is making the same types of mistake more regularly than I remember, plus his attacking quality has regressed.

Utd contained us well enough for most of the first half, even though we missed a golden opportunity to score and were denied a clear penalty with the foul on Davies, but second-half they were pummeled. So we were fine against their "system" and it again came down to concentration at a vital moment.

Again, in that moment, with all that had just happened, it was absolutely his duty to be a defender/RB first and ease things through until HT and the re-organization. I would expect a school team to realize that.

Thanks Steve

Really interesting.

Like @thfcsteff said .. it's not that simple ..

because you are playing as WB or even outright winger, it doesn't negate your defensive responsibilities. Trippier was not just overcommitted, he was often out of position, got pulled into midfield, leaving even bigger gaps

but the biggest part of a FB playing high up the pitch is the threat they offer is supposed to make the opponent think before trying to exploit the space behind them. I said this long before Trippier made his mistakes, when he plays well, he gets his crosses in early and often, when he's not in form, he tends to get forward (leaving us vulnerable), stand on the ball (which allows defenders to get back in shape) and either deliver a cross that is dealt with, or more often than not, just pass backwards/sideways which negates the value of his game.

Trippier is what he is, we don't need to spacegoat him, but unlike the Rose/Walker era, it's clear to compete against top level sides, both FBs need to be upgraded.

Liverpool, Chelsea

Perhaps, but we are letting in more shots on goal; again a stronger midfield stops much of that

Again, if Chelsea had better and more prologic strikers, their CM would look even better. they have a good variety of options.

Yes. They are top of the table, having let in the least goals and shots for a reason. One of the key ones being that they have strong options in cm. I don't think it's Rawk-like to simply acknowledge that. They aren't top by luck any more that we are 3 rd despite having lost 6 games. You might look at Pool's CM options and sneer, but i bet we'd be higher in tghe table with some of their players to call on especially with our injuries. Similar re Chelsea and of course City.

If they had their finishing boots on we could have been beaten by 6! They had a many shots on goal as we did yesterday...

But gazza wasn’t really tested vs Chelsea
Their only top midfielder is Kante and their pkaying him wide. People are rating their midfield on their names rather than their delivery. You say the could have scored 6 but they would have had to have had a striker on which means another players off so whose to say the would have even created those chances? It’s easier dominating possession when you have an extra player, sacrificing another

Pool play a 3 man midfield so you should in their get more cover from those players. I wouldn’t take them for our team though over what we have. What they haven’t done this season is make constant defensive errors which we have. Can only think of allison makingnone error that I’d say is the a defensive one. I can think of 2/3 Hugo’s, 3 Trippiers and more ... basic unforced error

I do think Wilnaldum has had an outstanding season though

Further to my earlier point about playing three at the back, what I see from the post match analysis, is that Poch did actually go three at the back in the second half and we absolutely dominated the game.

With our CM injury list, this must surely be the blueprint for the foreseeable future.

Its not just the right hand side though. On MNF Jamie Carragher showed how the gap between Vertonghen and Davies is massive and it was exposed partly for the goal and on other occassions.

It had quite clearly been identified that Spurs push their full backs far too high.....

Its not just the right hand side though. On MNF Jamie Carragher showed how the gap between Vertonghen and Davies is massive and it was exposed partly for the goal and on other occassions.

It had quite clearly been identified that Spurs push their full backs far too high.....

It’s our game. We were on the attack so it normally works

Would have helped if we had a full back playing well enough to pass better

Above Here is a highlight reel of Trippiers mistakes this season

I’d like to see one of his highlights vs Chelsea last Tuesday though as he defended really well that game, but coincidentally was pinned back a lot so wasn’t exposed

Back