• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Emirates Marketing Project

It’s the case of everyone believing Wanyama is better as he isn’t currently playing... then when he comes back half fit again he will look poor and Dier will be the answer

We lost that game yesterday due to one players mistake... trippier. The amount of goals we concede down hai side is scary and is a big issue. That was a basic header for him and he roostered up massively and was as bad as Hugo’s errors IMO as it’s basic

Cut out basic unforced errors and it’s a simple game

It is somewhat surprising to me that we have gone from a seemingly rock solid defence to a weak and wobbly one, after selling just one player. Personally, I put it down to an ineffective screen and our full backs allowing far too much time for their opponents to size up options. Add to that individual errors of Hugo, Toby and Trips in recent days and we are set up for disaster.

It is clear to me that our full backs can't defend. I think we need to go three at the back when Verts is back and allow Trips/Aurier and Rose/Davies much more freedom to attack without such heavy defensive responsibilities.

Oh well, did anyone expect anything different? There is always a defensive brainfart from someone in these games it seems..:(

At least we have got two of our hardest home fixtures in the PL out of the way now; just hope we can get back some confidence going from an attacking perspective and beat Wolves (first time we have failed to score at home since last September i believe? First time not scored since West Brom away as well..)

COYS

It is somewhat surprising to me that we have gone from a seemingly rock solid defence to a weak and wobbly one, after selling just one player. Personally, I put it down to an ineffective screen and our full backs allowing far too much time for their opponents to size up options. Add to that individual errors of Hugo, Toby and Trips in recent days and we are set up for disaster.

It is clear to me that our full backs can't defend. I think we need to go three at the back when Verts is back and allow Trips/Aurier and Rose/Davies much more freedom to attack without such heavy defensive responsibilities.

We have lost all pace out wide as we have effectively lost rose too. We also have inferior defensive full backs compared to those two although Davies was excellent last season

Don’t forget we haven’t played the same back like regulalry for ages too and most of the goals we have conceded have come form defensive errors not because the defence was actually that stretched

The only time I’d say they were stretched was against Barca and Pool when we played the wrong formation in the latter and we had the Messi factor in the former

Does anyone know why Aurier wasn't played ahead of Trippier?

Poch seems to be running him into the ground atm...if Trippier is even on the bench vs West Ham you ahev to start wondering wtf...

One final thought. Why has our long range shooting gone - or gone to pot? It was shocking against PSV (everything was high wide and not so handsome) and virtually everything was not on target again against City. Lamela's technique for his sitter was poor although the pitch didn't help. Funny how a dodgy pitch seemed to work against us. Ironic or just sexy?

But back to my main point - why can't we seem get our long range efforts on target?

Does anyone know why Aurier wasn't played ahead of Trippier?

Poch seems to be running him into the ground atm...if Trippier is even on the bench vs West Ham you ahev to start wondering wtf...

How long has Aurier been back from injury?

I appreciate him and wouldn’t want to sell him, I just don’t think he’s good enough technically and gives the ball away too frequently in dangerous positions. Winks and Wanyama are superior on the ball in my view, they would be the two I would pick in CM.

Which is why Winks and Dier is the combo. Victor has not been at it for a long time.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

One final thought. Why has our long range shooting gone - or gone to pot? It was shocking against PSV (everything was high wide and not so handsome) and virtually everything was not on target again against City. Lamela's technique for his sitter was poor although the pitch didn't help. Funny how a dodgy pitch seemed to work against us. Ironic or just sexy?

But back to my main point - why can't we seem get our long range efforts on target?
That's how regression works.

So Kane’s shot from 25 yards that landed on the roof of the net will be classed as more of a goal scoring opportunity than sissoko’s break when we were 3 on 2 going in to their area?

I’ve no idea how you could start counting these sort of opportunities but it certainly puts limitations on what can be taken from xG though.
A move that doesn't end in a shot can't create a goal in general.

It's both why statisticians don't count those moves and why footballers don't pass to Sissoko

So Kane’s shot from 25 yards that landed on the roof of the net will be classed as more of a goal scoring opportunity than sissoko’s break when we were 3 on 2 going in to their area?

I’ve no idea how you could start counting these sort of opportunities but it certainly puts limitations on what can be taken from xG though.

Yeah agreed it’s not perfect, but I think the point is that it’s better than just looking at shots and shots on target. Still, important to interpret the stats with what you’ve seen with your own eyes, and agree that in this match the XG undersells us a bit. Though we might be forgetting similar non-shot chances of City’s that means they’re being undersold too!

I think Alderweireld is coasting. Knows he's out and doesn't want to risk injury.
Trippier is better when we play a back three. Sanchez too, although he's got better.
Vertonghen injured.
Not sure what Davies' excuse is.
Dembele is past it, apart from the odd swansong, so leaves the defence vulnerable.
We miss a fit Wanyama.
Lloris has got a drinking problem.

Agree on Sissoko, think only think we have on them is Physical presence, however i think when we get the ball we need to look after it very carefully, and sissoko isnt capable of that, and if we are going for pace, son is a better option.

__________________Hugo_________________
Aurier_____Sanchez________Toby_____Davies
Dembele_______Dier________Winks
______Dele____Eriksen_________________
____________Kane___________________

Lamela isnt at Eriksens level, and i dont trust Moura to look after the ball, also looks like Dele has been kept back for this game, bench starting to look better though

Lamela
Trippier
Wanyama
Moura
Sissoko
Son
Gazzaniga

My pre-match worries and I think yours too regarding Trippier (?) came true. I always worry when I see him up against speedy tricky wingers and Emirates Marketing Project have an abundance of those... I believed a combination of Aurier and Sissoko down that flank would be our best hope ...

I thought Sissoko did good in his defensive duties and he also looked after the ball very well. In fact, he was pretty beastly throughout the match, apart from when venturing into City's penalty area. IMO was our MOTM ...

Overall we did quite well, we were second best on quality but we knew that already. Pleased we stayed in the game until the end despite conceding early on, and on another day we may have gained a point...

My pre-match worries and I think yours too regarding Trippier (?) came true. I always worry when I see him up against speedy tricky wingers and Emirates Marketing Project have an abundance of those... I believed a combination of Aurier and Sissoko down that flank would be our best hope ...

I thought Sissoko did good in his defensive duties and he also looked after the ball very well. In fact, he was pretty beastly throughout the match, apart from when venturing into City's penalty area. IMO was our MOTM ...

Overall we did quite well, we were second best on quality but we knew that already. Pleased we stayed in the game until the end despite conceding early on, and on another day we may have gained a point...
Rewatched the game last night and noticed that in the close-up replay of the build up to City's goal Sterling craftily elbows Trippier in the back just as he's going up for the header. Which might just explain why he misjudges it. For sure Trippier was completely shredded by Sterling after that but the sly nudge came first.

Second point, Sissoko had a good game overall but made no attempt to get back at any stage in the build up to that goal.

Rewatched the game last night and noticed that in the close-up replay of the build up to City's goal Sterling craftily elbows Trippier in the back just as he's going up for the header. Which might just explain why he misjudges it. For sure Trippier was completely shredded by Sterling after that but the sly nudge came first.

Second point, Sissoko had a good game overall but made no attempt to get back at any stage in the build up to that goal.
Thought the worst culprit was Toby running into the box marking no-one, if he had looked around he would have seen Mahrez behind him unmarked.

Nudge or not, Trippier was clearly not trying to head the ball out of play/up the pitch, which is what he should have been doing in the first 6 minutes of a game against the best team in the league.

Trippier was clearly not trying to head the ball out of play/up the pitch, which is what he should have been doing in the first 6 minutes of a game against the best team in the league.

I would have thought Poch tells them to be brave and ALWAYS take the positive option. You win some you lose some.

Back