1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Skipp

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Spur of the moment, 1 Aug 2018.

Tags:
  1. milo

milo Tony Galvin Staff Member

I'd agree that we are playing a similar way throughout the club and are developing players who are comfortable playing that way. I think describing them as clones is a bit strong.

2. Notmegov

Notmegov Mido

Its the Poch philosophy, have the whole club from the under 9s to the senior team playing in the same way, that way it makes it a lot easier to integrate youth players into the senior team. I love it.

milo likes this.
  3. Jon

Jon Sergei Rebrov

Glad we’re not in any way over analysing or dissecting him at such an incredibly early stage of his fledgling career.... :p

Robbo, 90291Spur and AdamB like this.
  4. 90291Spur

90291Spur Paul Stalteri

Spot on. Even though the vast majority of posters on GG are able to assess the potential of every player in the world from a quick viewing. Exhibit 1: M Sissoko.

parklane1, Jon and nayenezgani like this.
  5. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steve Carr

Speaking of ungainly Academy graduates, whatever happened to this prat who scored that costly own goal at Sunderland on his first league start? Surely we got rid of him along with Kaboul and Chiriches o_O

334CBCAF-6C1C-45A2-8F85-B0FA4C1ED906.jpeg

Robbo, milo, Jon and 1 other person like this.
  6. the dza

the dza Johnny Morrison

Skipp looks like he has better defensive instincts than Winks imo. Gets in good positions to make blocks/clearances. Think someone posted earlier that he seems more of a Carrick type, I think that's a good shout. If he develops along the lines of Carrick, we will be very happy!

milo, papaspur and nayenezgani like this.
  7. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Jermaine Jenas

If Skipp develops to be as good as a Winks then I’d be very happy.

milo and AdamB like this.
  8. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steve Carr

FTFY

Jon and Spur of the moment like this.
  9. MKSpur

MKSpur Alan Hutton

He also missed a pen in the Europa but luckily he showed his winning meteorology with a bit of time wasting against Man U, and also some humility by gobbing in himself afterwards.

10. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Johnny Morrison

Watched most of the Tranmere game; he played well though of course you have to take the quality of the opposition into account; he did worry me in that he was caught sleeping on the ball and was dispossessed in a potentially dangerous central area a couple of times, so i suspect Poch won't risk starting him against, say, a Leicester or Chelsea.

Good progress so far, but let's not hype him up too much yet...

11. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Justin Edinburgh

Our youth team players all seem comfortable on the ball and using both feet, some are better than others but the underlying principle seem to pass and move rather than kick and run which can be very effective at age level football.

12. imcallingbullsh*t

imcallingbullsh*t Terry Yorath

Really he needs a couple of games with Dier, isnt really ready to be last man at the base yet but with somebody more defensive next to him, certainly deserves to be put into the rotation rather than 19th man every week

milo and glasgowspur like this.
  13. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Johnny Morrison

Agreed

14. parklane1

parklane1 Nayim

Arthur Rowe lives.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  15. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Les Ferdinand

The games young players learn from, he needs about 40 to 50 games like this before he will become whatever it is Poch thinks he will become.

I am in favour of giving young players loans to get work experience and to feel their way around a football pitch. But if Skipp keeps getting games like this it can not hurt his progression in his career.

parklane1, SteveAWOL, Hootnow and 4 others like this.
  16. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Robinson

No one should expect anything from him, much as it was with Winks - gives him an easier entry into the team.

I think Poch talking him up post-match can only help him. It isn't the sort of mini-Messi stuff we saw with Edwards, where it inflated his ego before he'd really done anything. In this case, Poch admitting that *he* made a mistake taking him off is pretty significant - and it speaks to his impact on the game.

papaspur, SteveAWOL, Robbo and 3 others like this.
  17. Maltese Falcon

Maltese Falcon Neil Sullivan

Only problem is that he looked a boy among men out there... He will come good but at this stage in the season we should not be depending on him to shore up the midfield. Realistically he was only involved in less than a handful of offensive situations though thankfully his block unwittingly fell perfectly for Llorente to cushion back for Eriksen

18. Robbo

Robbo Alf Ramsey

I thought he did pretty good - his inexperience showed, but remember the kid only just turned 18. He definitely didn't look out of place or lost out there, IMO. Got involved and didn't look like the occation got to him.

There's a long way to go before he can challenge for a starting spot, but this game can only have done good for him. I think Skipp has a future with Spurs.

And of course, he was by far the best Oliver on the pitch.

19. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

He's clearly a distance behind Dier, Winks and Sissoko, but at this point in time I'd still be using him well ahead of Wanyama.

thfcsteff likes this.
  20. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Edgar Davids

Agreed but Wanyama too needs to get minutes under his belt. In form, he can be an absolute beast, so worth persevering with imo.