• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Old Guard/Bad Eggs - POLL ADDED

Who do you SELL?

• Aurier

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Davies

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • Dier

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Winks

Votes: 52 76.5%
  • Sissoko

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Lamela

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Moura

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Dele

Votes: 32 47.1%

• Total voters

billyiddo

Teddy Sheringham
Staff member
A lot of focus on the manager atm and whilst that's fair a lot of chat also seems to be about how the old guard have let down another manager - so i thought I'd put my question in it's own thread...

If this was the squad Pochettino inherited first time around - who are the old guard that he bombs out and what would the team/squad look like after.

My first XI minus some of the problem players...
Lloris
Aurier Tangana Rodon Regulion
Skipp Hojberg
Ndombele
Bergwijn Kane Son

Last edited:
@Bedfordspurs and others too i guess -

If this was the squad Pochettino inherited first time around - who are the old guard that he bombs out?

Lloris
Skipp Hojberg
Ndombele
Bergwijn Kane Son
?
That’s not the squad though
That’s an 11
I mean we have baggage here and possibly problem players above that

Toby
Lamela
Sissoko
Davies
Aurier
Sanchez
Bale - don’t keep him
Moura posisbly
Dier possibly

I mean they may all be lovely guys but there mentality is weak, weak, weak and in some cases a bit mental
I’d also consider getting rid of Hugo

remember when Poch came in he made ade and Kabul vice captains
Bin them off as soon as he could though
Managers look from the outside and make a call. Once in the inside they change their views
Jose’s face when he is told sissoko has a big sway in the squad is a picture...,, I guess he assumes it would be a winner or a great footballer, but instead it’s sissoko a player he didnt rate

That’s not the squad though
That’s an 11

Correct, however initially Pochettino had to work with what he had until a time where the players could be moved on - so the XI above shows Mourinho has the opportunity to do so should he wish.

Correct, however initially Pochettino had to work with what he had until a time where the players could be moved on - so the XI above shows Mourinho has the opportunity to do so should he wish.
Of course but not with the volume of games and injuries kicking in
I mean Poch in his first season had NO expectation at all
And he had more time to develop his system with arguable more mouldable players
He also used that time to get rid of players he didn’t want like Ade, Lennon and Kaboul
My fear with Jose is he loves a BIG squad and will hold onto players just in case even if their toxic to what he is trying to do.

Think I replied whilst that post was in edit.

Looking at your 11 I’d say most of them should be spared from it as they are young or have only been here 5 mins.

Elsewhere in the squad there are options though, like @Bedfordspurs says, Hugo would be in consideration.

I’d have to say Kane and Son too, they’d bring in a big transfer fee and they have been part of the failure in important games.

If the issue is mentality (and I think it blatantly is), there is no room for sentimentality.

Looking at your 11 I’d say most of them should be spared from it as they are young or have only been here 5 mins.

Elsewhere in the squad there are options though, like @Bedfordspurs says, Hugo would be in consideration.

I’d have to say Kane and Son too, they’d bring in a big transfer fee and they have been part of the failure in important games.

If the issue is meteorology (and I think it blatantly is), there is no room for sentimentality.
You don’t sell goals as their the hardest to buy (look at Chelsea)
But you can’t get rid of the chaff and been a leaner operation
Pool don’t change their team much when there fit

You don’t sell goals as their the hardest to buy (look at Chelsea)
But you can’t get rid of the chaff and been a leaner operation
Pool don’t change their team much when there fit

Sooner or later the goals will stop, as someone once said (pretty sure it was either Clough or Fergie), better to sell a striker one season too early than one too late, let their knees go on somebody else’s money.

If we are at the point where we have to bring in a new manager we are going to be so fudged that everything is a consideration.

In 1989 the Dallas Cowboys, statistically the worst team in football over the previous season, traded away their best player, Herschel Walker, to another team, in return they took 4 average players to fill holes in the roster and a load of draft picks, which they used to supplement the team with a couple of young superstars and dominated football for the next 5 years.

In 1989 the Dallas Cowboys, statistically the worst team in football over the previous season, traded away their best player, Herschel Walker, to another team, in return they took 4 average players to fill holes in the roster and a load of draft picks, which they used to supplement the team with a couple of young superstars and dominated football for the next 5 years.

These guys say hi...
article-2420146-1BCCF40E000005DC-900_636x382.jpg

If the issue is meteorology (and I think it blatantly is), there is no room for sentimentality.

Son and Kane? No way.

Us losing big games with them in the team isn’t necessarily their fault. Hugo was in all our biggest failures and he captained France to the World Cup.

Kane, Son, Hjobjerg, Reguilon, Hugo, Dele, Ndombele and GLC are untouchable for me. Top, top players.

The rest, I don’t know. Aurier has shown a lot this season but maybe is still too error prone. Rodon has potential. Dier has a good attitude but isn’t good enough at the top level. Good backup maybe. Davies is a good pro and I’d keep him for the same reason Man U had Fletcher and O’Shea or Liverpool had Milner.

Other than that, there aren’t many I’d be upset to see leave.

We have the nucleus of a very good team. We have a massive problem in the dugout though because our best players cannot flourish with his brick tactics.

First team:

Lloris
Rodon
Reguilon
Hjobjerg
Ndombele
Kane
Son

Back up:

Toby
Aurier
Dier
GLC (if continues to be as injury prone as he seems to be, otherwise in first team)
Sissoko
Dele
Tanganga
Vinicius

Get rid:

Doherty
Sanchez
Winks
Bale
Lamela
Hart
Bergwijn
Moura
Davies

So, from those 'First team' players - a first 11...

..............................LLoris.............................
RB.............Rodon...................CB............Reguilon
..................Hjobjerg..........Ndombele..............
FW...........................FW............................Son
..............................Kane.............................

Son, Kane, Reguilon, Tanganga, Rodon, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Bergwijn, Lo Celso, Skipp, Sessegnon, Sissoko, Alli, Devine, Scarlett, White, Clarke, Parrott.

These are the essential players I'd keep if possible. A mix of the world class and good players we have (Son, Kane, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Bergwijn), players just about worth persevering with from a squad management standpoint (Sissoko, Lo Celso, Alli if he wants to fight for his place) and young players with a lot of potential (Tanganga, Rodon, Skipp, Sessegnon, Devine, Scarlett, White, Clarke, Parrott).

Hugo? He's been declining for a while now, has a year left, might be worth letting him go. Ditto Toby. Davies? Thoroughly average, bog standard lower-tier player. Dier, Lucas, Doherty, Winks, Gazzaniga? Ditto. Lamela? Permacrock. Sanchez, Aurier, Hart? Just utter crap, or unreliable.

Bale, Gedson, Rose and Vinicius are leaving anyway. So that's 18 players to keep, 16 to let go. Half the squad.

It's a revamp long, long overdue, and replacing all those crap or declining players will need better recruitment than the last four years.

Last edited:
Sooner or later the goals will stop, as someone once said (pretty sure it was either Clough or Fergie), better to sell a striker one season too early than one too late, let their knees go on somebody else’s money.

If we are at the point where we have to bring in a new manager we are going to be so fudged that everything is a consideration.

I have no idea about the team or sport your talking about but I agree totally with the gist of it.

Kane has 2 seasons left at best.

Was also why we lost Eriksen for a few million when we could have got millions for hom a year earlier when he preceded to have a poor season.

Last edited:
Honestly I think we could do with getting rid of the entire lot, and keeping Son, Kane, Reggie, PEH.

But that will not raise enough funds to make this squad any better.

A lot of focus on the manager atm and whilst that's fair a lot of chat also seems to be about how the old guard have let down another manager - so i thought I'd put my question in it's own thread...

If this was the squad Pochettino inherited first time around - who are the old guard that he bombs out and what would the team/squad look like after.

My first XI minus some of the problem players...
Lloris
Skipp Hojberg
Ndombele
Bergwijn Kane Son
That looks a decent team, the CBs couldn't be any worse, and I think Skipp could be an improvement.

I have no idea about the team or sport your talking about but I agree totally with the gist of it.

Kane has 2 seasons left at best.

Was also why we lost Eriksen for a few million when we could have got millions for hom a year earlier when he preceded to have a poor season.
We got a few million for Eriksen because he ran down his contract

To some degree Liverpool / Coutinho as well.

However not playing the best formation / players we have is the immediate problem imo (i.e. if we are deliberately weakening ourselves by leaving out Aurier and Dele for "personality reasons" then we are idiots).

i.e. Most fan picked teams would have performed way better than yesterday...

Does Jose have a master plan where he is doing weird things to prepare for next year? or is this it? In which case...&%^*!

#1 We need to stop playing back 5 brick, Sissoko can *only* ever "play" CM, if at all, and we need 3 midfielders. Then replace as many of the weaker players as possible...

Back