• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

A million years? That's a lot. We can be pretty sure that AVB isn't going to have us line up anything like we did last season and we don't know what other players are coming in yet, so it's just a suggestion. But if we played a 4-3-3 can you really see him lining up, for instance, with a combo of Sandro/Moutinho/Sigurdsson? The back four, a high back four at that, would be pretty exposed no? Too much focus on attack.

What do you mean by inside forward? Someone cutting inside from attacking wide areas onto their strongest foot?

Sandro/Parker alongside Modric/Hudd/Modric Replacement X with Sigurdsson ahead of them as the midfield trio would work well in my opinion.

------

For those saying that Sigurdsson and VdV can't play together a I think a 4-2-3-1 with Sigurdsson in the attacking midfield role and VdV cutting in from the right would work quite well. Would give us rotation options as well.

That midfield trio was sensationally good, Liverpool was the best team in the world for a short period of time when they comfortably beat United away and outplayed Real Madrid completely at home. Comparing Sandro to Mascherano is somewhat optimistic, though.

I think they are very similar. Both can just sit infront of the defence and do there job by shielding. They both chase down the ball in similar ways in my opinion and are brilliant at tackling

Why would the back 4 be more exposed than in a 4-4-2 where you had say Sandro or Modric/Moutinho in CM?!?!?

Because our wingers offer us a lot of support in defence. If we shift Lennon/Bale/Whoever further up the pitch as well as bringing the line higher up we'll be asking a lot of Sandro and Modric/Moutinho assuming that Sigurdsson will spend most of his time high up the pitch!:)!:)!:)

Sigurdsson is nothing like Gerrard from what I've seen of him (this is the comparison people are putting on here). I'm just player devils advocate and looking at how Chelsea played last season and comparing it to our playing staff.

A relatively inexperienced defence of Walker/Kaboul/possibly Caulker for his pace/Ekotto, playing a high line, pushing our wingers further forward than they currently play and having two attack minded CMs smats of brick or bust no?

What do you mean by inside forward? Someone cutting inside from attacking wide areas onto their strongest foot?

Not so wide though, occupying a narrower space on the pitch than Lennon for example. Just putting it out there, it's just a comment what AVB might be thinking, not what I think we should do.

To be honest, the more diverse a team tries to become the less successful it becomes. I'd like us to adopt a formation, a style and play it home and away, regardless of the opposition, and let them worry about us! That way the players always know what they're doing.

Basically agree, though I should say while I think a team should have a base formation/system, I think they should also have different ways of playing it.

Broadly its the same no matter what, but tweaks to maximise its effect on opposition should be easy to make.

For example, some teams it might be better to sit a few yeards deeper to create space due to how they play. Others it might benefit to focus on diagonal balls or one flank in particular. Some may be the case of high intensity pressure of certain weak links...

Essentially you play the same system every week but at the same time you tune it to get the best performance...

Anyone found a decent youtube compilation about Sig that will have us spaffing our pants and thinking he's a lot better than he actually is?

I think they are very similar. Both can just sit infront of the defence and do there job by shielding. They both chase down the ball in similar ways in my opinion and are brilliant at tackling
As much as I rate Sandro, he's nowhere near as good as Mascherano. Mascherano is much more dynamic and extremely disciplined, he's very rarely caught out of position and a very smart player. I also think he's a better tackler, but Sandro's much stronger and obviously better in the air than Mascherano.

Four things that is good about Gylfi Sigurdsson
By Eurosport | Paul Parker – 2 hours 4 minutes ago

Gylfi Sigursson is an exciting signing for Tottenham, but he is also high-risk.

1 - He is a player who can kick the ball good and spurs need a player who can kick the ball good because if the ball goes in the goal then you score more goals. This might not sound like a big deal but it is because goals can often win you games.

2 - He is young and that means he isn't old which is good because he will play with more fitness and stamina and be able to run around for a longer time. Spurs already have old players like Friedel and Parker (not me) and their bald goalkeeper but Sigurdsson is not old like them.

3 - Corners. This is a bit like my first point but is just as important because corners are things that happen in football games. He is good at corners and spurs aren't good at corners normally so he should be a good addition to the team for parts of the game when the ball is at the corner flag and someone needs to kick it into the box.

4 - He is from Iceland. This might not sound important at first but it is because there is lots of snow in iceland and snow is white and spurs also play in white. This means he will fit in straight away at Tottenham and when players feel at home they can often be better at playing football. However sometimes games are played not at home and this might be a risk when sigurdsson is concerned because he won't be playing in a snow coloured kit.

Sigurdson - Gerrard
Modric - Alonso
Sandro - Mascherano

That midfield came close to winning the league, we just need our Torres

I have a friend who's brick at football and quite good at looking like a girl - shall I see if he's interested in the job?

has anyone checked on wriggly?

From the transfer thread:

I'm so happy Sigurdsson has signed, what a player he will be.

6a01348745e23f970c0147e2e8fb5d970b-pi

As much as I rate Sandro, he's nowhere near as good as Mascherano. Mascherano is much more dynamic and extremely disciplined, he's very rarely caught out of position and a very smart player. I also think he's a better tackler, but Sandro's much stronger and obviously better in the air than Mascherano.

They're different! Sandro is much better at some things than Mascherano an vica-versa...I personally don't think it's a comparison at all regardless of whether they get played in similar positions next season...

Back