• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

Amazing there are not more posts about him. He has plenty more development in him. If he can toughen up or get smarter in tackles he could become our Lampard.

Early days, though.

He's good. Massive fan of his.

THink he'll look far better when we have some width back on the left hand side behind him as well though. It's quite clearly our weaker side, the vast majority of our attacking play goes through our right hand side, for obvious reasons though, Walker and Townsend like to run with the ball and take players on.

Am hopeful Siggy can get a good relationship with Rose going.

Why the constant comparisons with Lampard? They play different positions. Lampard never plays out wide and Siggy never plays in central midfield.

He's begun to do so with Iceland, because our manager only ever plays a sort of 4-4-2. He's looked really good there, albeit not against the strongest of opponents, so it will be interesting to see if he sticks there or not. He has the workrate, an eye for a pass and the shooting capabilities - what he's lacking at the moment is the ball control in tight spaces. I think he can still get so much better and along with lads like Eriksen, Lamela and the rest, we really have a squad that can be great in the coming years.

...or until Real poach them all away. :-k

Rate Gylfi very highly, has an amazing right foot and great technique. I really see him becoming something very special, already has three goals this season and yesterdays summed up his ability and determination.

sigurdsson-goal.gif

After seeing the debate over who should go, Sigurdsson or Holtby, this season so far has shown that we were right to not sell either. Having both and four wingers adds so much versatility.

Part of a 4-2-3-1

Holty_Eriksen_Siggurdson

Holtby_Eriksen_Chadli

Townsend_Eriksen_Siggurdsson

Lennon_Holtby/Sigurdsson_Lamela

Lamela_Holtby/Sigurdsson_Chadli

Lennon_Holtby/Sigurdsson_Townsend.

Part of a 4-3-3

_____Sandro_____

Paulinho____Holtby

_____Capoue_____

Sigurdsson_Dembele

On top of that Holtby can play as one of the two holding in a 4-2-3-1 as he did at Schalke 04.

The thing with Siggy is that you can see his technical ability a mile off. Once a player has that, he has a chance. For Siggy it's the mental and physical sides of the game he needs to work on, and he seems to be doing that. His confidence is rising and he is looking bulkier than previously. If he was a building half way through construction, the engineer would say he's on time, on budget and progressing very nicely.

Keep forgetting we have Capoue and Lennon!!

Not a bad result yesterday with a lot of our reserves in the team!

I really really like Siggy. He has huge goal scoring potential. If you find a midfielder/forward who can regularly contribute 10-15 goals then you're on to a winner. I think Siggy can defintely offer that.

He needs to work on not drifting in and out of games; obviously playing on the left he is at the mercy of his team mates to a certain degree, but if he can remain influential for longer periods that will lead to more rounded performances, and ultimately to more goals.

He is still young and I think its players like Siggy who can become mainstays in our squad for the next 10 years or so. He doesn't strike me as someone who has a journeyman personality and I would imagine he would happily spend a career playing in England. BTW his English is probably the best I've ever heard from a non-native.

I love the fact that he chose us over Pool when they looked a shoe in for him because of the Brenton links. He chose us over them and gives everything when he plays, doesn't moan. played all last season as an impact player and didn't adgitate for a move in the summer despite all the players coming in. Instead he's staying and is prepared to accept the big squad situation and fight for his place. I respect that a lot.

I want him to get enough game time, and feel that loyalty is a two way street: we get annoyed when players **** off like Modders or Bale, and when we have a player with clear quality and potential like Siggy, we need to invest in them. I feel very similiarly about Holtby.

I really like a good goal scoring midfielder and have Siggy in amongst my favourite players.

One of our more subtle players with a nice eye for a pass. I really like the way he strikes the ball, it reminds me of Kranjcar at his best. I just wish Siggy had more pace/acceleration/'explosiveness' naturally - I think this is why he looks better as a sub, because he can play with real urgency if he expends all he's got but he can't keep up that intensity for more than 20 minutes. I was reminded of this when I rewatched the Basel away game - he tried hard all night but was looking reeeally leggy by the second half.

I actually do not think he looks better as a sub, rather he looks better in his best position behind a striker. It was his form excelling in that position that made us by him in the firdt place. Unfortunately for him we have other more creative players that can play there in stead of him which is why he is shoved out to the left flank even though he is not pacey and not a winger

He is certainly getting among the goals now, but I still am not keen on his all round play. He just doesn't impose himself on games. But then neither did David Platt who was still an excellent midfielder. I personally can't compare him to Lampard or Gerrard because both of those are also very creative. Lampard's passing range is fantastic and his playmaking ability is much under appreciated by most fans.

He would have been who I would have taken off yesterday though, instead of Townsend. Townsend was pretty much our only pace on the break.

He is certainly getting among the goals now, but I still am not keen on his all round play. He just doesn't impose himself on games. But then neither did David Platt who was still an excellent midfielder. I personally can't compare him to Lampard or Gerrard because both of those are also very creative. Lampard's passing range is fantastic and his playmaking ability is much under appreciated by most fans.

He would have been who I would have taken off yesterday though, instead of Townsend. Townsend was pretty much our only pace on the break.

I had forgotten about platt, siggy reminds me of him now you mention it. I like siggy and he has a place as an important part of our squad.

I thought Siggy was excellent yesterday, and adds a lot to our side because he looks for the forward pass and drifts into spaces. We have too many people who don't want to run beyond the ball, consequently we end up passing it sideways interminably because there is no forward pass on. Eventually we get bored and play an impossible ball to a man surrounded by four opponents and wonder why a move breaks down. We need Siggy and Eriksen to play and drift into those spaces with their clever movement and nice little touches.

I thought Siggy was excellent yesterday, and adds a lot to our side because he looks for the forward pass and drifts into spaces. We have too many people who don't want to run beyond the ball, consequently we end up passing it sideways interminably because there is no forward pass on. Eventually we get bored and play an impossible ball to a man surrounded by four opponents and wonder why a move breaks down. We need Siggy and Eriksen to play and drift into those spaces with their clever movement and nice little touches.

What's the overall view on Glyfi at the end of his second season with the club? I can't remember too many players who are so tough for me to formulate an opinion on. I can't tell what his best position is, and I can't get a feel for where I see him playing in the side. I'd be interested to see how he looks more centrally, as I think his attributes make the most sense out there. Would love to see a line-up like this in coming matches. I think, at this point, it's imperative that we give the new players matches to try to get a feel for who are the ones to keep. For me, I wouldn't be for selling any of them, except possssibly Capoue to give Bentaleb more gametime.

————————Lloris——————
Walker--Verts---Kaboul----Fryers
-----Siggurdson---Paulinho-------
Lamela------Eriksen-----Chadli
----------Soldado----------------

What's the overall view on Glyfi at the end of his second season with the club? I can't remember too many players who are so tough for me to formulate an opinion on. I can't tell what his best position is, and I can't get a feel for where I see him playing in the side. I'd be interested to see how he looks more centrally, as I think his attributes make the most sense out there. Would love to see a line-up like this in coming matches. I think, at this point, it's imperative that we give the new players matches to try to get a feel for who are the ones to keep. For me, I wouldn't be for selling any of them, except possssibly Capoue to give Bentaleb more gametime.

————————Lloris——————

Unfortunately I think he doesn't fit

to me our midfield is/has to be

Deep lying midfielder -> Sandro/Bentaleb (one of)
On form -> Eriksen & Chadli
We need 1 intelligent ball playing midfielder to assist/minimize the ability to isolate Eriksen, ideally that's Lamela

2 up front, or if we feel it's a tougher team, we might go one and play both Sandro & Bentaleb/Capoue
We could go one and put Eriksen in hole, another midfielder who can pass behind (Siggy there?)

The guy has ability, can add goals, but struggle to see the system that suits him, same btw for Paulinho.

————————Lloris——————

Same as most players we've got really.

In isolation he's a good player, however without knowing what system we're planning on trying to adopt i can't really say whether he should stick around or not.

On a side note, it concerns me that you'd pick Paulinho over.. well over anyone really.

He's a goal scoring midfielder who would fit the Frank Lampard role was better than anyone else because of his ability to score. The problem for him is that we have perhaps 5 other players who can do the job of a no.10 in various different forms. I wouldn't mind seeing him playing from the role he has occupied in the last two games (deeper and making late runs into the box), but he does get knocked off the ball a little too easily

Siggy has a great shot on him plus can pick a pass but he does seem a bit lightweight to play in central midfield and despite his goals I cannot remember him really dictating play like Eriksen has started to do in recent games... perhaps Gylfi will yet become our Lampard / Yaya / Ramsey some day though...

Sigurdsson explains why Liverpool have overtaken Spurs and reveals favoured position - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Journal
...Sigurdsson came on at half-time, replacing Mousa Dembele in a central midfield position, and he admits that he enjoyed the role.

“That used to be my old position, playing in the midfield,” he said. “It’s nice to get the chance to play in the middle. That’s where I prefer to play, rather than on the left wing. I prefer playing on the right or the No10.

“I’m not the quickest player in the league. On the left wing I won’t be running past every full back in the league.

He's got a very good shot, and always seems to get into, or close to, scoring positions. I agree with other posters here though, questioning what his best position is in our current set up. I think if utilised the best way possible, he can be a very good player. Not sure what his best position is though, or whether we have the other players to complement him.

He's got a very good shot, and always seems to get into, or close to, scoring positions. I agree with other posters here though, questioning what his best position is in our current set up. I think if utilised the best way possible, he can be a very good player. Not sure what his best position is though, or whether we have the other players to complement him.

He was excellent when he came on on Sunday and IMO changed the game but.... He is a bit of an enigma in that he isn't good enough for us to play in any of the positions that he wants to play in. For me his best option now is a sub and playing in lesser games which would be a waste for him but he can't play wide well enough and. Eriksen is a much better number 10

Back