• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Shame it didn't work out. Actually thought he was quite good at times and deserved more of a chance. Didn't help his career here though by fooking off on loan at the first sign of trouble.

Two years after signing Lewis Holtby I still have no idea what he's like as a player or what his ability is. Don't think I saw nearly enough of him to form an opinon. So goodbye Holtby, I hardly knew ye.

I would have liked to have seen him given more games here.

It's hard not to like a player who puts themselves about a bit and plays with a smile on their face but I don't think that he did enough in a Spurs shirt to be given more chances than he was.

It's hard not to like a player who puts themselves about a bit and plays with a smile on their face but I don't think that he did enough in a Spurs shirt to be given more chances than he was.

To be fair to him, he's not a naturally disciplined player (similar to Mason in that way), and thus requires a system/style to get best out of him. I don't think he got any chance in an established Poch system to see if he could have worked. Honestly he would have been a better option last season that Paulinho/Capoue and potentially even cover for Mason, much like Lennon would have been a better option than Townsend/Lamela at times.

Do think Holtby's upside is limited, so makes sense to offload, best of luck to him, hope he settles somewhere.

Another player like Postiga that I was convinced would be a massive success, but actually ended up being virtually anonymous for a couple of years and then slipping quietly out the door.

Ah well... can't get them all right.

To be fair to him, he's not a naturally disciplined player (similar to Mason in that way), and thus requires a system/style to get best out of him. I don't think he got any chance in an established Poch system to see if he could have worked. Honestly he would have been a better option last season that Paulinho/Capoue and potentially even cover for Mason, much like Lennon would have been a better option than Townsend/Lamela at times.

Do think Holtby's upside is limited, so makes sense to offload, best of luck to him, hope he settles somewhere.

I agree that he was a victim of us needing to trim the squad last summer and being the only one there was interest in. I don't think that he would have prospered under Poch though, he too prone to chasing the ball and would not have held position.

25 Prem game spread over three seasons is not a lot he was 22 when we signed him and raw, I am not saying he would have been a big player for us. However considering Townsend is roughly the same age and has nearly twice as many games and still not shown a lot I think Holtby could have been given more.

Still we move on.

25 Prem game spread over three seasons is not a lot he was 22 when we signed him and raw, I am not saying he would have been a big player for us. However considering Townsend is roughly the same age and has nearly twice as many games and still not shown a lot I think Holtby could have been given more.

Still we move on.

I think that Townsend is fortunate that we do not have an established player in his position

Holtby never showed much other than the ability to chase the ball, often with little success. Simply not good enough. Why someone simply running about gets so much praise I can never understand.

Selling Holtby was a good move. He was abysmal this season. If Hamburg weren't obliged to buy they certainly wouldn't have. He barely played 90 minutes for a team that was going through one of the lowest points in its entire history.

There was actually an article in the paper taking the tinkle out of him. During the relegation match vs Karlsruhe he got subbed because he was trash, then spent the rest of the game running around on the side line showing his 'enthusiasm'.

The press labelled him the most expensive cheerleader ever signed. He does his 'thing' on the sidelines, never on the pitch unfortunately (for HSV).

Thats because he was incapable of following orders on a football pitch. Ran around the pitch always out of position like a child in the playground.

If the 4.7 million pounds being quoted in the press is true, that is a very good bit of business and recoups a little of the loss on Paulhino.

Holtby never showed much other than the ability to chase the ball, often with little success. Simply not good enough. Why someone simply running about gets so much praise I can never understand.
Part of the reason he gets praise is because he seemed to care. He had a desire to win - perhaps not matched by the ability to do that - and gave full commitment. When you hold that up against
'players' wearing the shirt who don't put in a shift, it gets praise.

Part of the reason he gets praise is because he seemed to care. He had a desire to win - perhaps not matched by the ability to do that - and gave full commitment. When you hold that up against
'players' wearing the shirt who don't put in a shift, it gets praise.

Praise his effort, that's fine, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team or more chances to show what he can do just because he runs around a lot. Even with all that effort he still struggles to do his job as part of a team.

Not at all surprised that Holtby failed at Spurs and we have now sold him. I had doubts about him when we bought him. In fact, I never like it whenever we buy youngsters from outside England. They always fail to settle at Spurs. I think we should only buy established players age 25 and above.

Back