• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Oh wow. Not trying to throw shade at you here but there are so many dissections to this statement it's quite unreal. The whole 'never judge a book by it's cover' view comes to mind here.

The whole interest in boxing/fighting is laughable to those who have seen the movie. Let me put it this way, everything you have preconceived about Fight Club is wrong.

No worries, we all like different things, don't mean it's a judgement on the person.
Just never fancied it, the wife has seen it and said its not something i would enjoy.
Same with taxi driver.

I'm not a deep movie person, i prefer escapism.
I watch movies to get away from my problems, not live through someone else's.
Each to their own.
Did watch a good movie on Saturday night, the big red one.
Loosely based on sam fuller's experience of Ww2.

Great film.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-cant-west-side-story-just-cast-a-puerto-rican-maria

So Steven Spielberg, one of the nicest, most genuine directors in Hollywood goes out of his way to ensure the cast for west side story was as diverse as possible for example, one of the characters is trans but the main character isn’t Puerto Rican so he’s a bigot. You literally cannot please some people. I feel like the next Spider-Man could be mixed race with MJ being Muslim or Asian and the usual suspects wouldn’t be happy as Peter should be trans or disabled. You give them everything they want and they would still complain or move the goalposts. Spielberg more than most in Hollywood would know about discrimination being Jewish.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-cant-west-side-story-just-cast-a-puerto-rican-maria

So Steven Spielberg, one of the nicest, most genuine directors in Hollywood goes out of his way to ensure the cast for west side story was as diverse as possible for example, one of the characters is trans but the main character isn’t Puerto Rican so he’s a bigot. You literally cannot please some people. I feel like the next Spider-Man could be mixed race with MJ being Muslim or Asian and the usual suspects wouldn’t be happy as Peter should be trans or disabled. You give them everything they want and they would still complain or move the goalposts. Spielberg more than most in Hollywood would know about discrimination being Jewish.

There's a big difference between colour blind and colour conscious casting. Colour blind is just dumb tokenism, but sadly its where Hollywood is at. Colour conscious is much smarter and more forward-thinking - i.e. it thinks actively about representativeness (what the real community being portrayed is/was like) and gives things context (e.g. black people in European historic dramas are allowed backstories to explain why their role is plausible).

Also - remember the entire UK will play this card if EON ever dare do the unthinkable - cast an American actor as Bond!

There's a big difference between colour blind and colour conscious casting. Colour blind is just dumb tokenism, but sadly its where Hollywood is at. Colour conscious is much smarter and more forward-thinking - i.e. it thinks actively about representativeness (what the real community being portrayed is/was like) and gives things context (e.g. black people in European historic dramas are allowed backstories to explain why their role is plausible).

I think they should just concentrate on making a good story. But have more diverse stories.

The problem is more that there aren't enough diverse writers.

Also - remember the entire UK will play this card if EON ever dare do the unthinkable - cast an American actor as Bond!

Although my preference would be for an English/British actor to play Bond, I wouldn’t be against an American or any other nationality being given the provided they can pull off the English accent ie not someone like dingdong van dyke in Mary Poppins. At the end of the day I want the best, most qualified person for the job regardless of their nationality. Don’t get me started on whether bond should be a woman or not :D

I think they should just concentrate on making a good story. But have more diverse stories.

Nailed it. I want great stories above everything else. I do agree there isn’t enough original stories with diversity. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t want more diversity but I do also believe in people being given opportunities on merit. Hollywood is bending over backwards to try and be more diverse but there’s a certain type of person who you can’t please so why should we bother trying to pander to them? You can find stories like this every day and it just alienates well-meaning people.

Now i may have totally misread what's been said, but the dinklage fella complaining about snow white being recast but the dwarfs still living in a cave, well its been a long time since i saw the film but as i remember it they worked in a cave, but lived in a cottage.
If you have to moan, at get your facts right.

Now i may have totally misread what's been said, but the dinklage fella complaining about snow white being recast but the dwarfs still living in a cave, well its been a long time since i saw the film but as i remember it they worked in a cave, but lived in a cottage.
If you have to moan, at get your facts right.

Yeah. In the Disney version at least, they were diamond miners.
Dinklage's quote was:
"You're progressive in one way but you're still making that backward story of seven dwarves living in the cave. They were so proud of that, and all love and respect to the actress and the people who thought they were doing the right thing but I'm just like, 'What are you doing?'"

It seems a small niggle but it does make it a little less clear what his issue is. Is it simply that there are still going to be dwarves, or with the way that they are portrayed?

If they change it too much, then the title needs to be changed. It's hardly Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs if it's a brown skinned lass and 7 regular sized blokes.
Unless there's an ironic reason for her to be called Snow White and the guys are on a sports team called the Dwarfs.

Although my preference would be for an English/British actor to play Bond, I wouldn’t be against an American or any other nationality being given the provided they can pull off the English accent ie not someone like dingdong van dyke in Mary Poppins. At the end of the day I want the best, most qualified person for the job regardless of their nationality. Don’t get me started on whether bond should be a woman or not :D

He's obviously been played by an Australian and an Irishman before, so the British thing isn't important (the character is technically half Scottish, half Swiss-French anyway).

I just think there's a particularly negative history of Hollywood treatment of British culture, that it would be a particularly antagonistic move. Plus American actors don't tend to have stage backgrounds like ours do, so aren't as good!

Yeah. In the Disney version at least, they were diamond miners.
Dinklage's quote was:
"You're progressive in one way but you're still making that backward story of seven dwarves living in the cave. They were so proud of that, and all love and respect to the actress and the people who thought they were doing the right thing but I'm just like, 'What are you doing?'"

It seems a small niggle but it does make it a little less clear what his issue is. Is it simply that there are still going to be dwarves, or with the way that they are portrayed?

If they change it too much, then the title needs to be changed. It's hardly Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs if it's a brown skinned lass and 7 regular sized blokes.
Unless there's an ironic reason for her to be called Snow White and the guys are on a sports team called the Dwarfs.

Yeah weird, although the state of the world at the moment Im waiting on cave dwellers rising up because he's saying they are backward.

th

Watched this the other day, rubbish.

There are enough diverse writers out there, they just have not had the opportunity

There are enough diverse writers out there, they just have not had the opportunity

Actors in hollywood diversity is proportionate to the population. Pretty much exactly.
Tv writers, black writers only make up 4.8%. Compared to roughly 13% of the population (not got figures for film). So there is disparity. It may be opportunity. I don't know. But if we want more diverse stories, it needs to increase.

Back